Dec 3, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
Miami has been getting it done with offense. It has the best record in the Eastern Conference, it has won six in a row and it’s mostly been because LeBron James is LeBron James and Chris Bosh is having a very efficient season.
But the last couple games, the Heat’s defense has started to come together. They allow 102.8 points allowed per 100 possessions, which is 19th in the league. However, they held the Brooklyn Nets to 91.9 points per 100 possessions and 32.3 percent shooting in the second half. A few days the earlier the Heat held the Spurs to 100 points.
Are the Heat starting to figure it out? Dwyane Wade told Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel he thinks so.
“We’re a better defensive team than we’ve been,” guard Dwyane Wade said. “Obviously, to win championships, for one you have to be a good defensive team, and, two, you have to rebound the ball….
“We understand that we have a lot of room for improvement,” Wade said. “That’s a good thing for this team, but you also have to take care of it.”
There is a lingering sign the Heat knew what to do on defense — they played much better in the second half all season. Their defensive rating was 105.7 (points per 100 possessions) in the first half this season, but that fell to 100.6 in the second half. The Heat have seemed to coast at points this season, not to have their full focus in the games. But when the games got tight they got better.
Face it, the Heat are starting to find their defensive footing and get better at that end of the court. And they have the best record in the East already. Watch out.
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 10
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 8
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 47
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48