Dec 3, 2012, 8:01 AM EDT
Miami has been getting it done with offense. It has the best record in the Eastern Conference, it has won six in a row and it’s mostly been because LeBron James is LeBron James and Chris Bosh is having a very efficient season.
But the last couple games, the Heat’s defense has started to come together. They allow 102.8 points allowed per 100 possessions, which is 19th in the league. However, they held the Brooklyn Nets to 91.9 points per 100 possessions and 32.3 percent shooting in the second half. A few days the earlier the Heat held the Spurs to 100 points.
Are the Heat starting to figure it out? Dwyane Wade told Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentinel he thinks so.
“We’re a better defensive team than we’ve been,” guard Dwyane Wade said. “Obviously, to win championships, for one you have to be a good defensive team, and, two, you have to rebound the ball….
“We understand that we have a lot of room for improvement,” Wade said. “That’s a good thing for this team, but you also have to take care of it.”
There is a lingering sign the Heat knew what to do on defense — they played much better in the second half all season. Their defensive rating was 105.7 (points per 100 possessions) in the first half this season, but that fell to 100.6 in the second half. The Heat have seemed to coast at points this season, not to have their full focus in the games. But when the games got tight they got better.
Face it, the Heat are starting to find their defensive footing and get better at that end of the court. And they have the best record in the East already. Watch out.
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 20
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2
- Jim Boeheim says of Carmelo Anthony, “it would have been better to go to Chicago” 30
- Steve Ballmer screams like a maniac at Clippers rally 26
- Thibodeau calls Team USA “perfect setting” for Derrick Rose to make return 6
- What four players left likely to get cut from Team USA roster? Things don’t look good for Andre Drummond. 19
- John Calipari says he was not close to going to Cleveland. LeBron or not. 12
- Report: Shawn Marion commits to play with Cavaliers, LeBron James 47