Dec 3, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT
If you’re down 17 points to the Charlotte Bobcats with a little over 5 minutes to play, what do you do? If you’re the Spurs, you’re enjoying first class luxury provided by Southwest Airlines. If you’re the Lakers, you come to grips with the fact that the Bobcats hold the series advantage, 8 wins to 7 losses, and that there is nothing you can do to stop it.
And if you’re the Blazers? You turn to Luke Babbitt, apparently.
Portland head coach Terry Stotts has been riding his starters into the ground this season (four players average over 37 minutes a game this season, which is absurd) assumedly because he really has no depth to work with whatsoever. Although being down 17 points with five minutes left seemed like a perfect opportunity to rest the starters, Stotts left his big guns in and turned to the 16th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft to try and knock down some meaningful 3-pointers that weren’t just for Chalupas.
Somehow, someway, it worked. Babbitt, who has played a whopping 59 minutes total all season, came in and helped spark the incredible 17-point comeback, knocking down a huge 3-pointer to make it a two possession game and then ultimately, the game-tying 3-pointer with just 24 seconds left in regulation.
With all the momentum on their side headed into the overtime period, Babbitt continued to ride the wave, knocking down another gigantic 3-pointer in overtime that had to feel like a dagger for the Bobs, primarily because it’s Luke Babbitt.
- Rockets show it’s better to have James Harden than to not have Stephen Curry 0
- Stephen Curry leaves game after taking a hard fall, cleared to return (VIDEO) 6
- Rumor: Paul Pierce might opt out of contract with Wizards, join Clippers 15
- Golden State Warriors vs. Houston Rockets Game 4: Three things to watch from Houston 7
- LeBron James posts triple-double, Al Horford ejected as Cavaliers take 3-0 series lead with OT Game 3 win over Hawks 29
- Kyrie Irving out for Game 3 for Cavaliers with knee tendonitis 3
- Lil B says James Harden is officially under the Based God’s curse 31
- Warriors don’t live by 3, die by 3. They live by defense, live by defense 9