Dec 3, 2012, 10:34 PM EDT
If you’re down 17 points to the Charlotte Bobcats with a little over 5 minutes to play, what do you do? If you’re the Spurs, you’re enjoying first class luxury provided by Southwest Airlines. If you’re the Lakers, you come to grips with the fact that the Bobcats hold the series advantage, 8 wins to 7 losses, and that there is nothing you can do to stop it.
And if you’re the Blazers? You turn to Luke Babbitt, apparently.
Portland head coach Terry Stotts has been riding his starters into the ground this season (four players average over 37 minutes a game this season, which is absurd) assumedly because he really has no depth to work with whatsoever. Although being down 17 points with five minutes left seemed like a perfect opportunity to rest the starters, Stotts left his big guns in and turned to the 16th pick in the 2010 NBA Draft to try and knock down some meaningful 3-pointers that weren’t just for Chalupas.
Somehow, someway, it worked. Babbitt, who has played a whopping 59 minutes total all season, came in and helped spark the incredible 17-point comeback, knocking down a huge 3-pointer to make it a two possession game and then ultimately, the game-tying 3-pointer with just 24 seconds left in regulation.
With all the momentum on their side headed into the overtime period, Babbitt continued to ride the wave, knocking down another gigantic 3-pointer in overtime that had to feel like a dagger for the Bobs, primarily because it’s Luke Babbitt.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 6
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 12
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34