Dec 2, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Celtics need help on the boards, and could use an experienced big man to fill the team’s open roster spot. Someone like Kenyon Martin, maybe, who is out there and waiting to be picked up by any team that will have him.
Boston has always been a team sensitive to the personalities it brings into its locker room, however, perhaps more than most given the volatile and strong, veteran ones already there in Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo.
So the Celtics will wait and continue to consider their options, and Martin will do the same.
From the Boston Globe via HoopsHype:
The Celtics are going to be patient filling their roster because there is not a plethora of quality big men on the market to help immediately with rebounding. They are wary of the attitude and disposition of Kenyon Martin, who was not asked back to the Clippers because of his unhappiness with coach Vinny Del Negro. They may wait to see who’s available as of Jan. 5, when contracts become fully guaranteed for the season.
Martin was pretty good in Los Angeles last season, all things considered. He was more consistent than usual with his mid-range shot, and averaged 4.3 rebounds per game in 22.4 minutes of action.
Martin would be a good fit in Boston for a Celtics team dead last in the league in rebounding. But he must be still without a team for a reason, so whatever went down between him and Del Negro last year is apparently enough for the Celtics to pass for now, and be patient in filling that open roster spot.
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 0
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 17
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 45
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 89
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 61
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 30
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43