Dec 2, 2012, 4:30 PM EST
The Celtics need help on the boards, and could use an experienced big man to fill the team’s open roster spot. Someone like Kenyon Martin, maybe, who is out there and waiting to be picked up by any team that will have him.
Boston has always been a team sensitive to the personalities it brings into its locker room, however, perhaps more than most given the volatile and strong, veteran ones already there in Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo.
So the Celtics will wait and continue to consider their options, and Martin will do the same.
From the Boston Globe via HoopsHype:
The Celtics are going to be patient filling their roster because there is not a plethora of quality big men on the market to help immediately with rebounding. They are wary of the attitude and disposition of Kenyon Martin, who was not asked back to the Clippers because of his unhappiness with coach Vinny Del Negro. They may wait to see who’s available as of Jan. 5, when contracts become fully guaranteed for the season.
Martin was pretty good in Los Angeles last season, all things considered. He was more consistent than usual with his mid-range shot, and averaged 4.3 rebounds per game in 22.4 minutes of action.
Martin would be a good fit in Boston for a Celtics team dead last in the league in rebounding. But he must be still without a team for a reason, so whatever went down between him and Del Negro last year is apparently enough for the Celtics to pass for now, and be patient in filling that open roster spot.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: Masked Russell Westbrook just needs a cape 0
- George Karl: Knicks could use a strong point guard next to Carmelo Anthony 8
- Ray Allen announces he will not play this season 14
- Pelicans’ Anthony Davis a gametime decision Wednesday vs. Pistons 1
- Derek Fisher questions ‘character and integrity’ of players after Knicks lose to Kings by 38 points 29
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Tuesday: The Hawks clinched playoff spot in front of Josh Smith 6
- Nuggets need to decide direction, then hire coach 18
- Report: Russell Westbrook ‘likely’ to return to Thunder lineup Wednesday, will wear protective mask 13