Dec 2, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Celtics need help on the boards, and could use an experienced big man to fill the team’s open roster spot. Someone like Kenyon Martin, maybe, who is out there and waiting to be picked up by any team that will have him.
Boston has always been a team sensitive to the personalities it brings into its locker room, however, perhaps more than most given the volatile and strong, veteran ones already there in Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo.
So the Celtics will wait and continue to consider their options, and Martin will do the same.
From the Boston Globe via HoopsHype:
The Celtics are going to be patient filling their roster because there is not a plethora of quality big men on the market to help immediately with rebounding. They are wary of the attitude and disposition of Kenyon Martin, who was not asked back to the Clippers because of his unhappiness with coach Vinny Del Negro. They may wait to see who’s available as of Jan. 5, when contracts become fully guaranteed for the season.
Martin was pretty good in Los Angeles last season, all things considered. He was more consistent than usual with his mid-range shot, and averaged 4.3 rebounds per game in 22.4 minutes of action.
Martin would be a good fit in Boston for a Celtics team dead last in the league in rebounding. But he must be still without a team for a reason, so whatever went down between him and Del Negro last year is apparently enough for the Celtics to pass for now, and be patient in filling that open roster spot.
- Report: Warriors, Draymond Green agree to five-year, $85 million deal 9
- 76ers get Nik Stauskas, first-rounder in salary-dump trade with Kings 25
- Report: Pelicans finalizing deal with Omer Asik 2
- Reports: Paul Pierce agrees to three-year, $10 million contract with Los Angeles Clippers 21
- Report: LaMarcus Aldridge rules out Lakers in free agent decision 99
- Reports: Phoenix Suns sign Tyson Chandler, re-sign Brandon Knight, try to reshape roster 11
- Kevin Love will return to Cavaliers, contract is reportedly $110 million over five years 78
- Report: Spurs reach deal to trade Tiago Splitter to Hawks, create cap space for LaMarcus Aldridge offer 27