Dec 2, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT
The Celtics need help on the boards, and could use an experienced big man to fill the team’s open roster spot. Someone like Kenyon Martin, maybe, who is out there and waiting to be picked up by any team that will have him.
Boston has always been a team sensitive to the personalities it brings into its locker room, however, perhaps more than most given the volatile and strong, veteran ones already there in Kevin Garnett and Rajon Rondo.
So the Celtics will wait and continue to consider their options, and Martin will do the same.
From the Boston Globe via HoopsHype:
The Celtics are going to be patient filling their roster because there is not a plethora of quality big men on the market to help immediately with rebounding. They are wary of the attitude and disposition of Kenyon Martin, who was not asked back to the Clippers because of his unhappiness with coach Vinny Del Negro. They may wait to see who’s available as of Jan. 5, when contracts become fully guaranteed for the season.
Martin was pretty good in Los Angeles last season, all things considered. He was more consistent than usual with his mid-range shot, and averaged 4.3 rebounds per game in 22.4 minutes of action.
Martin would be a good fit in Boston for a Celtics team dead last in the league in rebounding. But he must be still without a team for a reason, so whatever went down between him and Del Negro last year is apparently enough for the Celtics to pass for now, and be patient in filling that open roster spot.
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 0
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 14
- LeBron James strips on stage, throws clothes into crowd (video) 8
- Is DeMarcus Cousins the big man Team USA can lean on? 13
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 13
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 29
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 69
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 26