Nov 30, 2012, 12:05 AM EDT
This game wasn’t about who won or lost necessarily, considering Gregg Popovich’s decision to send home his three best players before it even got started.
The controversy created by that move will be discussed for days, and maybe longer depending on what David Stern has in mind for Popovich and the Spurs as punishment for resting his healthy stars against the defending champs in a game that was nationally televised.
But there was competitive basketball played in spite of the Spurs’ attempt at derailing things, and Ray Allen made sure the Heat wouldn’t be losing to a bunch of scrubs.
Down by one with under 30 seconds remaining, LeBron James dribbles into the paint and is momentarily stripped by the defensive combination of Tiago Splitter and Nando De Colo. With the defense collapsing to try to gain possession, LeBron ends up with the ball and finds Allen on the wing, who calmly drains a three-pointer with the shot clock winding down to give his team the lead for good.
This was remarkably similar to how things ended for Miami against the Cavaliers just a few days earlier, although this particular defensive lapse on Allen was more understandable considering that the ball was momentarily in play.
Still, this proves yet again why the addition of Allen was such a deadly one for this Miami Heat team. You almost have to double or play a scheme involving all five players with the ball in Lebron’s hands in late-game situations, but if you do, you leave one of the greatest shooters the game has ever seen wide open to beat you from the outside.
- Metta World Peace says Howard isn’t going anywhere because he has a hold on his… um… those 15
- In praise of the brilliant, baffling Manu Ginobili 19
- If Doc is out, who is in for Celtics? Maybe Del Negro, Frank 15
- Where does Celtics’ Rivers, Garnett trade to Clippers stand? They’re talking. 28
- Boris Diaw’s defense slowed LeBron down. I know, right? 26
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- Reports: Jason Kidd finalizes deal, will be Nets new coach (62)
- Bruins stymie Blackhawks, take Game 3
- Survival and heartbreak at US Open
- PHT: Hossa day to day with upper-body injury
- Protesters back in streets of Brazilian cities
- Posnanski: More Open heartbreak for Mickelson
- Radio hosts fired for mocking ex-NFL player with ALS
- PBT: Unheralded Green could steal NBA Finals MVP