Quote of the Day: Morey wants to bring analytics to dance teams

Nov 30, 2012, 4:45 PM EDT

Houston Rockets Introduce Jeremy Lin Getty Images

“I have all these opinions about the dancers but they should be kept to myself. No one consults me. I keep asking to be invited to the dance tryouts but no one ever allows me there. I’ll just say this: My general philosophy is that you can teach them to dance.”

—Rockets GM Daryl Morey talking about the other entertainment at NBA games. This is from Chris Ballard of Sports Illustrated, maybe the best personality feature writer in sports today, and a column of extra tidbits he got from his research on a feature on Morey in the magazine this week.

There’s also an interesting note about Jeremy Lin‘s outside shot in there.

I also have not been to dance tryouts, and because I like sleeping in a bed and not on the couch I have not suggested to my wife I should cover the tryouts for “work.”

1. cantonbound13 - Nov 30, 2012 at 5:36 PM

Morey’s lost it.

2. telergy - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Stats a make her dance

3. eventhorizon04 - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:59 PM

Morey would probably recruit a young dancer with severe stage fright and anxiety and try to make her the centerpiece of his dance squad….

• genericcommenter - Nov 30, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Depends on if she has elite lottery-level talent. Perhaps, after a difficult start at 18, she was able to go home for a year and pull herself together well enough to put together a great season of performances at a Midwestern gentlemen’s club- displaying a diverse skill-set and physical tools rarely seen at the next level.

4. BigBeachBall - Dec 1, 2012 at 1:21 AM

40 year old virgin…

5. dko83 - Dec 1, 2012 at 4:21 AM

If you’re not reading Grantland.com yet, you should be. Simmons has some funny/interesting stuff on this guy, or “dork elvis” as it were.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches