Nov 30, 2012, 11:47 AM EST
Nike has unveiled the latest in the Kobe Bryant signature shoe series, the Kobe 8 System. We hear about some of the design elements in the video above, and though the look is very similar to the Kobe VII, there are some major changes.
From the official release:
“I’m always focused on improving my game, to perform at my best. I want my shoes to mimic the speed of my game,” Kobe said. “By shaving fractions off the height and weight, it allows me to play faster with more control so I can maneuver across the court – I want to feel like I’m moving at the speed of light.”
“In response to athlete feedback, the design team incorporated an innovative textile — Nike Engineered Mesh — for the first time in a basketball shoe. This created a dynamic and ultra-lightweight fit that is 90 percent mesh for 360 degrees of breathability and tightly woven for strength and flexibility to bend naturally with the foot. Additionally, the no-sew, synthetic overlays on the toe and lateral quarter panel provide support for even the toughest games.”
“We’re always pushing the limits of Kobe’s shoe to be faster, more precise, and to be modern,” Nike Performance Footwear Creative Director Eric Avar explained. “Kobe’s big on being bold, aggressive, provocative and making an impact. Working together, we’re on a never-ending quest for the perfect shoe for him.
“Nike Engineered Mesh creates a dynamic fit that syncs around Kobe’s foot to mimic the natural biomechanics, delivering security where he needs it. As the design team began working with the mesh, it took on this scale-like snake pattern that really brought the black mamba inspiration to life in compelling way.”
The Kobe 8 System will be available beginning December 20, and will feature midsole options for the technology-tracking Nike+ Sports Pack, as well. Let us know if you plan on picking up a pair in the comments.
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 26
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 7
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 39
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 57
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 11
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13
- Mavericks suspend Rajon Rondo one game after argument with coach Rick Carlisle 43
- Derrick Rose is hurt again. Where do the Bulls go from here? 28