Nike unveils the KOBE 8 SYSTEM

Nov 30, 2012, 11:47 AM EDT

Nike has unveiled the latest in the Kobe Bryant signature shoe series, the Kobe 8 System. We hear about some of the design elements in the video above, and though the look is very similar to the Kobe VII, there are some major changes.

From the official release:

“I’m always focused on improving my game, to perform at my best.  I want my shoes to mimic the speed of my game,” Kobe said. “By shaving fractions off the height and weight, it allows me to play faster with more control so I can maneuver across the court – I want to feel like I’m moving at the speed of light.”

“In response to athlete feedback, the design team incorporated an innovative textile — Nike Engineered Mesh — for the first time in a basketball shoe. This created a dynamic and ultra-lightweight fit that is 90 percent mesh for 360 degrees of breathability and tightly woven for strength and flexibility to bend naturally with the foot. Additionally, the no-sew, synthetic overlays on the toe and lateral quarter panel provide support for even the toughest games.”

“We’re always pushing the limits of Kobe’s shoe to be faster, more precise, and to be modern,” Nike Performance Footwear Creative Director Eric Avar explained. “Kobe’s big on being bold, aggressive, provocative and making an impact. Working together, we’re on a never-ending quest for the perfect shoe for him.

“Nike Engineered Mesh creates a dynamic fit that syncs around Kobe’s foot to mimic the natural biomechanics, delivering security where he needs it. As the design team began working with the mesh, it took on this scale-like snake pattern that really brought the black mamba inspiration to life in compelling way.”

The Kobe 8 System will be available beginning December 20, and will feature midsole options for the technology-tracking Nike+ Sports Pack, as well. Let us know if you plan on picking up a pair in the comments.

1. monkeyhateclean - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Its weird, I never see any articles advertisements about new cleats on PFT, or new skates on PHT. Hopefully, the shoe companies are giving PBT’s staff a cut.

• qdog112 - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:50 PM

Why do you hope that? What’s in it for you? Accept it as new and move on.

2. eyeh8goodell - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:14 PM

I always get a kick out of Nike’s promotional BS/gimmicks. These will be made in China by kids getting paid 10 cents a day at cost of probably about $10 and sold to you at Footlocker for over $200.

3. tfoz5150 - Nov 30, 2012 at 3:22 PM

Lame. He’ll never be Jordan.

• bigmikemdz - Nov 30, 2012 at 5:17 PM

you got some J’s in your closet or some K’s?

• tfoz5150 - Nov 30, 2012 at 10:42 PM

Amen

4. loungefly74 - Nov 30, 2012 at 3:54 PM

i’m still lovin’ my “Kobe VI” with the yellow Nike strip on black…sweeet.

5. paulhargis53 - Nov 30, 2012 at 6:38 PM

How cute. You’re wearing your heroes shoes. Why not, all the cool KIDS are wearing them.

6. dko83 - Dec 1, 2012 at 3:50 AM

As a pretty hardcore NBA fan for years, the one thing I never really got is the whole shoe market. I don’t care how rich you are, paying that much for a pair of shoes is a head scratcher. Seems like it’s about wearing a brand rather than a shoe. A decent pair of running shoes will run you $70 tops; but it’s not about owning a decent pair of shoes, it’s about having the newest/hottest/most popular thing. If that’s your thing, more power to you, I just don’t get it.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches