Nov 30, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than football players like viagra.
• Things we did not expect coming into this season — the Atlanta Hawks have the best defense in the NBA right now. Yes, seriously. They are giving up fewer points per possession than any team in the NBA and the reason is Al Horford and Josh Smith. They are killing it when together. The Hawks still basically switch every pick-and-roll but with really athletic bigs like Horford and Smith they can get away with it.
• Right now the Lakers are not shopping Pau Gasol around (and despite some message board rumors there are no talks with the Knicks) but if they do, this is a more realistic assessment of what they might get.
• Rob Mahoney takes a fantastic look at Sports Illustrated at the NBA rookies not named Davis or Lillard. Great thoughts here on Dion Waiters and the guy I like more each time I watch him, Harrison Barnes. Mahoney makes a point I like about Austin Rivers being to isolation based with his offense — Rivers admitted he grew up idolizing and patterning his game after Kobe Bryant. So there you go. (Kobe can pull that off, kid. You can’t.)
• Warriors GM Bob Myers will not rule out the possibility of Andrew Bogut needing another ankle surgery. Basically, he has no idea how long this could drag out. Nobody really does. He also apologized for the suggestions Bogut could be back sooner rather than later.
• By the way fans, don’t think of guys like Lamb or Kendall Marshall being sent down to the D-League as a demotion. Guys need seasoning and this is a place they can get on the court and develop. For rookies like these guys, this can be a good thing for their career if they use it properly and work hard.
• Here’s an interesting Q&A with Al Horford of the Hawks.
• The NBA has reached a four-year contract extension to its deal with the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA), the only Association comprised of NBA, ABA and Harlem Globetrotters alumni. Basically, the NBA is giving them money. Or, to use the words of the press release the NBA will provide “direct financial support to fund new and existing programs and services that uphold the NBRPA’s mission to assist former players as they transition into life after basketball.”
• In case you think plans for a new NBA-friendly arena in Virginia Beach are going well… not so much, it turns out.
Jul 25, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Bonner is one of a few Spurs teammates taking the trophy on tour this summer.
Jul 24, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Sixers continue their plan of seeking out delayed gratification.
Agency that reps Ray Allen says reports he intends to play for Cavaliers are ‘unfounded,’ no decision has been made
Jul 24, 2014, 9:45 PM EDT
Despite reports that Allen was on the verge of signing with Cleveland, nothing has been decided just yet.
Jul 24, 2014, 8:44 PM EDT
Blake Griffin joins Kawhi Leonard and LaMarcus Aldridge as players who are passing on Team USA this summer.
Jul 24, 2014, 7:18 PM EDT
Team USA is bringing Kyrie Irving, Stephen Curry, Damian Lillard, Derrick Rose and John Wall to camp. And that’s just at the point guard spot.
Jul 24, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
The NBPA is up to something here
It’s official: Jameer Nelson signs with Mavericks, says: “I’m just preparing myself to make open shots.”
Jul 24, 2014, 5:49 PM EDT
Another solid signing for a Mavs team that has had a good offseason.
Jul 24, 2014, 5:02 PM EDT
It’s the largest single-year contract in NBA history.
Jul 24, 2014, 4:19 PM EDT
It’s another 30 days Minnesota can try to leverage a better deal out of Chicago, Golden State and anyone else who wants Kevin Love.
Jul 24, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
His new nickname could be PG-13.
Jul 24, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
Houston obviously didn’t match, allowing Parsons to sign with Mavericks
Jul 24, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Lin wore No. 17 with Knicks
Jul 24, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
Just first season will be guaranteed
Jul 24, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Frank Caliendo makes it happen
Jul 24, 2014, 12:19 PM EDT
Do you think Jim Buss is going to give up his job, step aside for Rivers and put someone in over long-time trusted Lakers GM Mitch Kupchak? Really?
Jul 24, 2014, 11:24 AM EDT
Wizards deny Seraphin permission to participate
Jul 24, 2014, 10:33 AM EDT
Green, drafted No. 46 in 2013, spent a year overseas
Jul 24, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Huestis would have accepted arrangement only with Thunder or Spurs, but will the NBA or players union allow it?
Jul 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Sacramento’s search for a starting-caliber point guard let the one already there leave for Suns
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 8
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 43
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 55
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 86
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 12
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 20
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 17
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 13