Nov 30, 2012, 6:40 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points more than football players like viagra.
• Things we did not expect coming into this season — the Atlanta Hawks have the best defense in the NBA right now. Yes, seriously. They are giving up fewer points per possession than any team in the NBA and the reason is Al Horford and Josh Smith. They are killing it when together. The Hawks still basically switch every pick-and-roll but with really athletic bigs like Horford and Smith they can get away with it.
• Right now the Lakers are not shopping Pau Gasol around (and despite some message board rumors there are no talks with the Knicks) but if they do, this is a more realistic assessment of what they might get.
• Rob Mahoney takes a fantastic look at Sports Illustrated at the NBA rookies not named Davis or Lillard. Great thoughts here on Dion Waiters and the guy I like more each time I watch him, Harrison Barnes. Mahoney makes a point I like about Austin Rivers being to isolation based with his offense — Rivers admitted he grew up idolizing and patterning his game after Kobe Bryant. So there you go. (Kobe can pull that off, kid. You can’t.)
• Warriors GM Bob Myers will not rule out the possibility of Andrew Bogut needing another ankle surgery. Basically, he has no idea how long this could drag out. Nobody really does. He also apologized for the suggestions Bogut could be back sooner rather than later.
• By the way fans, don’t think of guys like Lamb or Kendall Marshall being sent down to the D-League as a demotion. Guys need seasoning and this is a place they can get on the court and develop. For rookies like these guys, this can be a good thing for their career if they use it properly and work hard.
• Here’s an interesting Q&A with Al Horford of the Hawks.
• The NBA has reached a four-year contract extension to its deal with the National Basketball Retired Players Association (NBRPA), the only Association comprised of NBA, ABA and Harlem Globetrotters alumni. Basically, the NBA is giving them money. Or, to use the words of the press release the NBA will provide “direct financial support to fund new and existing programs and services that uphold the NBRPA’s mission to assist former players as they transition into life after basketball.”
• In case you think plans for a new NBA-friendly arena in Virginia Beach are going well… not so much, it turns out.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:20 PM EDT
Warriors guard might be bit biased when it comes to rating 3-point shooters
Aug 27, 2014, 8:20 PM EDT
Jason Kidd at it again
Aug 27, 2014, 7:22 PM EDT
Waiters on the possibility of playing with Love, LeBron James and Kyrie Irving: ‘I’ve got to destroy my opponent’
Aug 27, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Dallas owner goes out of his way to compare his rival Daryl Morey’s
Aug 27, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Miami is now taking Knicks rejects
Aug 27, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Former No. 2 remains unsigned after disappointing season with Heat
Aug 27, 2014, 4:22 PM EDT
New contract with Clippers makes Rivers the NBA’s highest-paid coach
Aug 27, 2014, 3:41 PM EDT
Kulagin, 22, went undrafted and is now an unrestricted free agent
Aug 27, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Williams went 0-9, and stopped shooting.
Aug 27, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Go back to July 1 and consider the possibility of LeBron James and Kevin Love playing for Cleveland this season
Aug 27, 2014, 1:44 PM EDT
Embiid may have jumped the gun.
Aug 27, 2014, 1:02 PM EDT
Minnesota’s owner tried to point out some of Love’s flaws once the deal was done.
Aug 27, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
Clippers owner Steve Ballmer calls keeping Rivers ‘one of my top priorities’
Aug 27, 2014, 11:46 AM EDT
Donald Sterling will try to embarrass the league going forward, but he will not ever own the Clippers again.
Aug 27, 2014, 11:09 AM EDT
Goes against public perception.
Aug 27, 2014, 10:31 AM EDT
Shumpert and other Knicks will love an offense with player and ball movement… if ‘Melo shares the rock.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Sixers value a pick in next year’s draft more than they do Bennett at this time.
Aug 27, 2014, 9:22 AM EDT
Clippers could sign Chris Douglas-Roberts, Ekpe Udoh with freed cap space
Charlotte offers to spend $33.5 million to upgrade Hornets’ arena. Is that enough to get an All-Star Game?
Aug 27, 2014, 8:44 AM EDT
Reportedly 10 teams made bids so this helps
Aug 27, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Davis had 18 points, nine rebounds, five blocks and three steals in 20 minutes of work.
- Cavaliers sold Kyrie Irving on contract extension with LeBron James-Kevin Love plan 26
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 30
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 6
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 48
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 20
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 37
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 17
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23