Nov 30, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo is out for the Celtics next two games (Friday and Saturday nights), the result a suspension from a fight he instigated with Kris Humphries of the Brooklyn Nets after Humphries’ foul on Kevin Garnett caused an awkward fall.
But this is not the first time — this is Rondo’s third suspension in the past nine months.
And if Rondo is going to take the torch and be the leaders of the Celtics, as he and teammates have said he has already done, then that is too many.
Celtics GM Danny Ainge told CSNNE.com he spoke to Rondo about the suspension, but as a good GM should he had Rondo’s back in public and sounded positive about the future.
“I think it’s high,” Ainge said of Rondo’s rash of suspensions recently. “I just hope the next nine months is better. It’s not good; there’s nothing good about it. But I love the kid. He’s a competitor, he’s a warrior. He’ll get it under control. I’m confident he will.”
“He’s not happy with the fact that he’s not there to help his team in the next two games, and the last game [against Brooklyn],” Ainge said. “Rondo is a very emotional player, he’s a tough competitor. He realizes it’s more important to play.”
Kevin Garnett didn’t learn how to be a leader overnight — he may have had the qualities but like anybody there are still things to learn about a role. Rondo is learning that too. The hard way at times. But he has to know what matters is he plays, leave being the enforcer to others.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 11
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 37
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 49
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 17
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11