Nov 30, 2012, 2:37 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo is out for the Celtics next two games (Friday and Saturday nights), the result a suspension from a fight he instigated with Kris Humphries of the Brooklyn Nets after Humphries’ foul on Kevin Garnett caused an awkward fall.
But this is not the first time — this is Rondo’s third suspension in the past nine months.
And if Rondo is going to take the torch and be the leaders of the Celtics, as he and teammates have said he has already done, then that is too many.
Celtics GM Danny Ainge told CSNNE.com he spoke to Rondo about the suspension, but as a good GM should he had Rondo’s back in public and sounded positive about the future.
“I think it’s high,” Ainge said of Rondo’s rash of suspensions recently. “I just hope the next nine months is better. It’s not good; there’s nothing good about it. But I love the kid. He’s a competitor, he’s a warrior. He’ll get it under control. I’m confident he will.”
“He’s not happy with the fact that he’s not there to help his team in the next two games, and the last game [against Brooklyn],” Ainge said. “Rondo is a very emotional player, he’s a tough competitor. He realizes it’s more important to play.”
Kevin Garnett didn’t learn how to be a leader overnight — he may have had the qualities but like anybody there are still things to learn about a role. Rondo is learning that too. The hard way at times. But he has to know what matters is he plays, leave being the enforcer to others.
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 6
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 13
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 19
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 52
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 4
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 17
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 32
- Chris Paul discusses his signature shoe, hoops with media at launch of his Jordan Brand CP3 VIII (VIDEO) 5