Nov 29, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
The New York Knicks have the best offense in the NBA right now, scoring 111.5 points per 100 possessions — they are shooting the ball well and turning it over on fewer possessions than any other team in the Association.
So what happens when Stoudemire returns in December from knee surgery and pushes ‘Melo out to the wing again? One idea — one coach Mike Woodson doesn’t seem to like — is to bring Stoudemire off the bench. And he is good with that, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
“All he cares about right now is helping the team and winning,” said one source, who has been around Stoudemire regularly in recent weeks. “He’d be fine with coming off the bench if that’s what they want….
“He just wants to win,” the source says. “He sees how well they’re playing and just wants to help. He’ll be fine with whatever they want to do.”
My guess is that Woodson will eventually bend to this logic and will bring Stoudemire off the bench.
But this really doesn’t solve the problem — Anthony and Stoudemire are going to have to share the court at some point. The Spurs had success bringing Manu Ginobili off the bench but come the fourth quarter Ginobili was out there on the court with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.
If the Knicks are going to be true title contenders they have to find a way to play well when Stoudemire, Anthony and Tyson Chandler are all on the court together. Bringing Stoudemire off the bench is a way to avoid dealing with the problem in the first quarter, but the fourth quarter question is still there. And still has to be answered.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 5
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 12
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 13
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 10
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 48
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 61