Nov 29, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
The New York Knicks have the best offense in the NBA right now, scoring 111.5 points per 100 possessions — they are shooting the ball well and turning it over on fewer possessions than any other team in the Association.
So what happens when Stoudemire returns in December from knee surgery and pushes ‘Melo out to the wing again? One idea — one coach Mike Woodson doesn’t seem to like — is to bring Stoudemire off the bench. And he is good with that, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
“All he cares about right now is helping the team and winning,” said one source, who has been around Stoudemire regularly in recent weeks. “He’d be fine with coming off the bench if that’s what they want….
“He just wants to win,” the source says. “He sees how well they’re playing and just wants to help. He’ll be fine with whatever they want to do.”
My guess is that Woodson will eventually bend to this logic and will bring Stoudemire off the bench.
But this really doesn’t solve the problem — Anthony and Stoudemire are going to have to share the court at some point. The Spurs had success bringing Manu Ginobili off the bench but come the fourth quarter Ginobili was out there on the court with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.
If the Knicks are going to be true title contenders they have to find a way to play well when Stoudemire, Anthony and Tyson Chandler are all on the court together. Bringing Stoudemire off the bench is a way to avoid dealing with the problem in the first quarter, but the fourth quarter question is still there. And still has to be answered.
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18