Nov 29, 2012, 7:59 AM EDT
The New York Knicks have the best offense in the NBA right now, scoring 111.5 points per 100 possessions — they are shooting the ball well and turning it over on fewer possessions than any other team in the Association.
So what happens when Stoudemire returns in December from knee surgery and pushes ‘Melo out to the wing again? One idea — one coach Mike Woodson doesn’t seem to like — is to bring Stoudemire off the bench. And he is good with that, reports ESPNNewYork.com.
“All he cares about right now is helping the team and winning,” said one source, who has been around Stoudemire regularly in recent weeks. “He’d be fine with coming off the bench if that’s what they want….
“He just wants to win,” the source says. “He sees how well they’re playing and just wants to help. He’ll be fine with whatever they want to do.”
My guess is that Woodson will eventually bend to this logic and will bring Stoudemire off the bench.
But this really doesn’t solve the problem — Anthony and Stoudemire are going to have to share the court at some point. The Spurs had success bringing Manu Ginobili off the bench but come the fourth quarter Ginobili was out there on the court with Tim Duncan and Tony Parker.
If the Knicks are going to be true title contenders they have to find a way to play well when Stoudemire, Anthony and Tyson Chandler are all on the court together. Bringing Stoudemire off the bench is a way to avoid dealing with the problem in the first quarter, but the fourth quarter question is still there. And still has to be answered.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 30
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 45
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4