Nov 29, 2012, 2:29 PM EDT
Texas was not one of the states that passed legalized marijuana. Right?
Because I’m generally a pretty big Rick Carlisle fan, I think he makes smart decisions as a coach. And I get he is frustrated with Darren Collison and his play, particularly on defense. And Collison is battling a finger injury. Collison was benched on Wednesday in favor of Dominique Jones. (Although, I’m not sure what Carlisle was expecting — this year’s Collison is pretty much the usual Collison. There was a reason George Hill took his job in Indiana.)
But Carlisle said he would prefer to start just-signed Derek Fisher — who at age 38 hasn’t put up numbers close to Collison’s in years — over Collison, reports the Dallas Morning News.
“I loved the way (Collison) played in Philly (off the bench),” said Carlisle, who announced the Fisher news after the Mavericks’ 101-78 blowout loss to Chicago on Wednesday night. “I think that’s a great role for him right now. I think Fisher can help us as a starter. This is a great opportunity for Darren to develop into a true starting point guard in this league.
“I really like Darren Collison as a player, and I like him even better as a person. But putting him in a position to be the starter on this team right now isn’t fair to him. With Derek coming in, it’s a great opportunity for Darren to learn from one of the greatest winners in the history of the game.”
Derek Fisher has five rings, he has a presence in the locker room, he is fearless in big moments… but the game has passed him by.
In total last season (between both the Lakers and Thunder) Fisher averaged 5.6 points a game on 5.5 shots a game, shooting 37.1 percent overall and 31.2 percent from three. Fisher had a PER 8 last season, which is way below the league average. In fact he hasn’t had a PER near the league average since 2006 and has never posted a season PER better than Collison’s 15.6 this season. Fisher is not a traditional point guard, he didn’t have to be in Phil Jackson’s triangle, but in Dallas he’s going to be asked to do things that are not his strengths. Plus he is a worse defender than Collison.
Look at it this way — the Lakers let him go last season. And Kobe Bryant loves having him around.
But go ahead and start him because he’s a winner, Carlisle. That should really solve your problems.
- George Hill says only God is scarier to face than LeBron James 4
- LeBron James commits two costly turnovers in final minute of Game 2 loss to Pacers 18
- Pacers find their offense, find balance, find Heat’s respect 17
- Pacers get big games from Roy Hibbert and Paul George, take Game 2 from Heat to even the series 26
- LeBron James-Paul George matchup reaches awesome levels in Game 2 11
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (124)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (83)
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers (70)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (61)
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell (61)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins pole in Monaco | Highlights
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy