Nov 29, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
The Troy Murphy era in Dallas lasted 14 games.
The Mavericks are expected to release Murphy on Thursday, reports ESPN Dallas and multiple other sources. He is being let go to make way for guard Derek Fisher, who is supposed to come in and stabilize the Mavericks backcourt (they are in for a shock, but that’s another story).
Murphy was for the Mavs exactly who he is now — a stretch four who doesn’t really make the defense stretch anymore, shooting just 31.4 percent from three this season. He had some good games, he can still get some buckets and plays with some veteran savvy, but he’s not a guy who can make a difference consistently anymore. He could barely get off the Lakers bench last season and this year was seeing his role shrink.
Now it is more than shrunk.
His deal was not guaranteed. Murphy is a free agent now and is free to sign anywhere.
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 6
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10