Nov 29, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
The Troy Murphy era in Dallas lasted 14 games.
The Mavericks are expected to release Murphy on Thursday, reports ESPN Dallas and multiple other sources. He is being let go to make way for guard Derek Fisher, who is supposed to come in and stabilize the Mavericks backcourt (they are in for a shock, but that’s another story).
Murphy was for the Mavs exactly who he is now — a stretch four who doesn’t really make the defense stretch anymore, shooting just 31.4 percent from three this season. He had some good games, he can still get some buckets and plays with some veteran savvy, but he’s not a guy who can make a difference consistently anymore. He could barely get off the Lakers bench last season and this year was seeing his role shrink.
Now it is more than shrunk.
His deal was not guaranteed. Murphy is a free agent now and is free to sign anywhere.
- Report: DeAndre Jordan “on verge ” of taking max deal to join Dallas Mavericks 10
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 10
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 7
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 4
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 22
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 10
- Dwyane Wade agrees to one-year, $20 million deal to stay with Heat 54
- PBT Podcast: Talking best signings of free agency so far 0