Nov 29, 2012, 1:28 PM EDT
The Troy Murphy era in Dallas lasted 14 games.
The Mavericks are expected to release Murphy on Thursday, reports ESPN Dallas and multiple other sources. He is being let go to make way for guard Derek Fisher, who is supposed to come in and stabilize the Mavericks backcourt (they are in for a shock, but that’s another story).
Murphy was for the Mavs exactly who he is now — a stretch four who doesn’t really make the defense stretch anymore, shooting just 31.4 percent from three this season. He had some good games, he can still get some buckets and plays with some veteran savvy, but he’s not a guy who can make a difference consistently anymore. He could barely get off the Lakers bench last season and this year was seeing his role shrink.
Now it is more than shrunk.
His deal was not guaranteed. Murphy is a free agent now and is free to sign anywhere.
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- LeBron James: “I just have to play better” (77)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- Report: Clippers, Celtics talks to send Garnett, Rivers to L.A. stalled (72)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (67)
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'
- PFT: Beckham turned down chance to kick in NFL
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: PBT Extra: LeBron's legacy at stake, Duncan's safe
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'