Nov 29, 2012, 8:33 AM EST
The NBA league office doesn’t take kindly to its players fighting on the court.
It really doesn’t take kindly to said fights spilling over into the very-expensive seats of people who sit courtside at NBA games.
That’s what happened when a fight broke out between the Celtics and Nets Wednesday night, when Rajon Rondo came to the defense of Kevin Garnett (who doesn’t really need anyone to come to his defense) and went after Kris Humphries.
When the league office hands down its suspensions some point Thursday afternoon, look for Rondo to get a bunch of gams — maybe five, maybe 10. Humphries will likely get one as he was in the middle of it as it went into the crowd and pulled Rondo’s jersey over his head in a classic hockey fight move. (Although I don’t think Humphries really deserves a long suspension — that was not a hard foul on KG and then Rondo came after him.) I expect Gerald Wallace will get a suspension for coming in late to the show. Finally Garnett will get a fine and if it is determined he threw a punch he will sit a game or more.
But Rondo is going to take the brunt of this, he instigated. He threw the first punch. He caused this to spill into the stands. Back in 2006 when a J.R. Smith and Nate Robinson fight spilled into the stands each got 10 games, Howard Beck of the New York Times reminds us.
That is not out of the question here.
Boston players can pull the “we stick up for each other” stuff all they want, I’m sure that plays well in the locker room. It will not in the league office. They are going to bring the hammer.
And for a Celtics team that is struggling right now, 10 games without Rondo — without the guy at the heart of making their offense click — could be a harsh blow.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39