Doc Rivers: “We’re a soft team; we have no toughness”

Nov 29, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Boston Celtics Getty Images

Wednesday night after another Celtics loss, Doc Rivers was relaying a lesson most of us learned somewhere along the way:

It’s not the tough guys that get in fights.

The Celtics have lost three of their last five, were pushed around by the Nets and more importantly are a bottom 10 defensive team in the NBA right now. Rivers doesn’t like it and used no uncertain terms, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.

“If I’m Brooklyn and the league, you’ve got to think we’re pretty soft the way we’re playing,” Rivers said. “We’re a soft team right now; we have no toughness.”

But the Celtics fought back in that fight, you say…

“That stuff’s not toughness,” Rivers said. “All that stuff, that’s not toughness.”

How did the players take Rivers calling then soft?

“It’s the truth,” said Jeff Green. “That’s how we’re playing.”

1. 1972wasalongtimeago - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:03 AM

They may be soft, but isn’t Jason Terry sooooo funny? Great addition.

• pantsfreezone - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:03 PM

He’s funny…looking. Fortunately Celtics fans are still happy about swapping him in for Ray “ALL I DO IS HIT GAME WINNERS FOR THE MIAMI HEAT” Allen. Suckers.

• totallyuselessme - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:55 PM

You’ve got it all wrong pants.

From what I understand, according to Bostoners, it’s Ray’s fault he didn’t wanna come off the bench behind Terry for 8-10 minutes a game with an angsty Rondo giving him the cold shoulder over some ambiguous conversation they had 2 years ago.

• hehateme2 - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:07 PM

can you feel the Heat they’re in control…. great song!

2. shockexchange - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:09 AM

Celtics traded their “toughness” to OKC.

3. nycalldayz - Nov 29, 2012 at 11:37 AM

The easy answer is that Boston’s toughness was traded to Oklahoma City, but it’s more than that. Last year’s Celtics were not soft. It is an attitude missing much of this young season. That’s true Kurt, but Danny Ainge has to take responsibility for the Celtics current problems. Danny Ainge has done nothing to help out with the Celtics front-line. So their bench as been the issue as well as the horrific defense and rebounding.

Guys like Lee, Green, Wilcox, Sully, Collins, Melo, Joesph and Bass are not going to get the job done. Until changes come to the Celtics roster, they’ll continue to struggle and fall out the standings. As far as Rondo, dude needs a reality check ASAP.

4. thenmoveback - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Old folks aren’t tough

5. chargerdillon - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Doc Rivers is too good of a coach to have to continue to put up with Rondo acting like a kid.

Eventually some team is going to go get a really good coach for the same reason the Pistons won a championship with Larry Brown.

The only difference between AI and Rondo that I see is the haircut. Star player who frustrates the coach right out of the building, alienates HoF players, is not mentally tough when it counts.

• scalfor3 - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Rondo plays out of his mind every year in the postseason. Don’t get where you get “is not mentally tough when it counts”.

Also, if the only difference you see between Rondo and AI is the haircut, then we’re watching different players. Iverson was a great scorer but never made his teammates better. Rondo is his complete opposite in that regard.

• j0esixpack - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:39 PM

Doc is right and you don’t hear anyone on the team disputing him. In fact – unlike many other teams – you actually have a lot of guys agreeing with him (though let’s see them show that on the court too)

The new guys (and veterans) need to play better defense

And getting into fights like these is why Rondo is not considered an elite player

… and I say all this as a Celtics fan – no excuses.

Good coaches – and good players – use games like this as a wake up call and use it to turn a season around.

All the Celtics really need to do is make the playoffs in good health – but if they keep playing like this, they won’t make it to the playoffs.

You could say the same thing about the Lakers, but of course many of their players and fans still seem to be in denial

• chargerdillon - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM

Who exactly does Rondo make better? Please tell me because I don’t see it.

Dishing assists is part of being a teamate, who exactly does Rondo make better, even on a star level to all star level besides himself?

KG didnt need Rondo to be an all-star. Please tell me who Rondo really makes all that much better.

• scalfor3 - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:53 PM

Joesixpack: I totally agree. Doc using the “S” bomb will wake up that locker room more than any fight. I love the attitude that Rondo plays with on the court, but he lost it there and it did hurt the C’s in the short-term.

I’m just arguing with the idiots coming out of the woodwork with the “The C’s will never win with Rondo as their focal point” BS. How anyone can make this argument, ignoring year after year of phenomenal postseason play, is beyond me.

6. 00maltliquor - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:49 PM

LOL where are all the Celtics fans at now?! They don’t even want to “C” these message boards! Bwahahahahaha!

p.s.- Doc hit the nail on the head….they SOFT.

Bozosforall- Take it from here….go ahead and shine, my friend!

7. paulhargis53 - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Malt! How can you be a fan of bozo, yet want me gone? Isn’t that a bit hypocritical? It’s funny when someone does it to a rival, but I do it to your precious lakers and its a mortal sin?

Come on dude.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:04 PM

I never said I wanted you gone, I just want you to change your screen name to KOBEluver for 2 playoff series! I love to laugh, and bozo’s material is epic. I hate the C’s so it goes hand in hand.

I also get a good laugh watching you vs. pretty much everybody on PBT go at it. There are some epic exchanges that go on, so keep doing you.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:39 PM

P.S.— Doesn’t feel so good now that the tables are turned now does it?

Imagine if this was a Laker article with that heading, you woulda had a FIELD DAY with it!!

8. lphboston - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:26 PM

I’ve seen every Celtics game this season. For what it’s worth, here’s what I see:

1. Rondo needs motivation. He’s a strange duck who goes balls to the wall only when the mood hits him.
    2. Pierce and Garnett know there is no way they are going to put the pedal to the metal for 82 games and have anything left for the playoffs, so they’re treating this like an 82-game exhibition season.
    3. The bench (Lee, Wilcox, Sullinger) is not as good as we thought it would be.
    4. When Bradley comes back, hopefully he’ll light a fire under the whole team. May take him a while and I don’t know whose minutes he’ll eat, but they need him.
    5. Like the Davis-for-Bass deal originally, but Bass has hit his ceiling.

9. doublezero74 - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:40 PM

Yeah let’s bury the celtics this year like people did last year and the year before that. Then they proceeded to kick ass up until finals/conference finals, leaving 28 other teams behind. The celtics will be great when they need to be.

10. Legacy112 - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:22 PM

There is nothing epic about bozo. C’mon malt. C’mon man! I love to read how everybody get worked up about rival teams talking smack too but we all know as basketball fans that he/she/other known as bozosforall does not know anything about basketball.

• Legacy112 - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:23 PM

Gets*

• j0esixpack - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Epic… fail

• bozosforall - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:20 PM

I’ve forgotten more than both of you combined will ever know about basketball. You delusional Puh C’s fans are the most pathetic on the Internet. One measly title in the last quarter century makes your team nearly irrelevant in the current era. Go back to the 1960s.

11. lakerluver - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:38 PM

Speaking of things being permanently “soft”, anybody heard from pauhar……never mind. Too easy!!

12. lakerluver - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:42 PM

We ALL want you gone! May can’t get here soon enough.
    #deadman walking

13. lakerluver - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:26 PM

6pack
    IF Rondo’s not considered elite it has nothing to do with his on court petulance. Isiah was nasty on the court, was he elite? What about John Stockton? He was known for using dirty tactics, was he elite? You act like Rondo is Rick Mahorn!! The reason some might say he’s not elite is because he can’t make a jumpshot consistently. IMO, he “is” an elite player and a winner. And I hate the Celtics.

14. paulhargis53 - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:51 PM

Malt: Wasn’t really “mad” about it, just giving you crap.

lakerluver: Nice to see you STILL reusing my material. You’re such a pathetic loser.

Can’t say I blame you, you’re not funny under either name bozo.

You’re best humor is you doing my material.

Congrats, you’re the Carlos Mencia of PBT.

15. lakerluver - Nov 29, 2012 at 6:16 PM

@ph53
    Dude, stealing your material?! Everything I post I see again the next day because you steal it and repost it! Without ME you would be as irrelevant as the C’s were from 1985-2008!! But your fifteen mins of fame are coming to an end.
    #the artist formerly known as paulhargis53

16. paulhargis53 - Nov 29, 2012 at 6:33 PM

Annnnnnd lakerluver with the ” I know you are but what am I post!”

I will leave you to your delusions. Everyone on here( though they are sick of both of us) knows the real story.

The extent of your humor without rehashing what I say to you is:

53IQ
    530 lbs.
    53 years old
    works at Walmart

You’re a joke. You know it, I know it, All of PBT knows it.

I hope you slip in a puddle of aids and crack your head open.

17. lakerluver - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:16 PM

Wow, and THAT was supposed to be humorous?!! Dude, you’re a major league loser. My shots at you and some of the other clowns on here are very light hearted. But AIDS jokes?! You must be one miserable SOB. Karma is gonna bite that chunky arse of yours, sir.

18. lakerluver - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:18 PM

We’ve tolerated your homophobic crap long enough, now making jokes out of AIDS?! What’s next?!!

19. paulhargis53 - Nov 29, 2012 at 8:48 PM

Your shots at me are you regurgitating insults I’ve thrown at you prior.

I’m not homophobic in the least. You’re the one it bothers so much. You’re other screen name Bozo uses the same type of “homophobic” jargon.

By the way, that wasn’t meant to be funny,

• bozosforall - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:16 PM

Your delusional opinion that I am lakerluver’s alter ego only shows your stupidity.

20. bozosforall - Nov 29, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Hey, Doc…news flash. Puh C’s are always soft.

21. paulhargis53 - Nov 30, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Blowseveryone: If you werent one and the same person, you wouldn’t even acknowledge it.
    You use this alter ego because you idiotically think you’re preserving the “good name” of lakerluver.

Sorry to tell you that whatever good there was in it, is long gone. People on here hate you. Look at your precious thumbs. Hell, I saw one post of yours, it was 9 up and 84 down!!

How’s it feel to be considered an idiot under 2 different names?

I’m sure you’re real life is a sad, tragic place to be. Now your escape world is the same. Find a chair and a shank of rope and just do it.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches