Nov 29, 2012, 10:50 AM EDT
Wednesday night after another Celtics loss, Doc Rivers was relaying a lesson most of us learned somewhere along the way:
It’s not the tough guys that get in fights.
The Celtics have lost three of their last five, were pushed around by the Nets and more importantly are a bottom 10 defensive team in the NBA right now. Rivers doesn’t like it and used no uncertain terms, reports A. Sherrod Blakely of CSNNE.com.
“If I’m Brooklyn and the league, you’ve got to think we’re pretty soft the way we’re playing,” Rivers said. “We’re a soft team right now; we have no toughness.”
But the Celtics fought back in that fight, you say…
“That stuff’s not toughness,” Rivers said. “All that stuff, that’s not toughness.”
The easy answer is that Boston’s toughness was traded to Oklahoma City, but it’s more than that. Last year’s Celtics were not soft. It is an attitude missing much of this young season.
How did the players take Rivers calling then soft?
“It’s the truth,” said Jeff Green. “That’s how we’re playing.”
- Pacers’ coach Vogel explains decision to bench Hibbert late, says afterward ‘we’ll probably have him in next time’ 0
- LeBron’s triple-double, game-winner in overtime lead Heat to Game 1 win over Pacers 3
- LeBron’s game-winning layup at the overtime buzzer gives Heat Game 1 win over Pacers (VIDEO) 12
- Report: Carmelo Anthony has torn labrum, may need surgery 4
- Report: Mavericks looking to move No. 13 pick to clear out cap space for run at Howard, CP3 29
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (89)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (75)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games