Andrew Bynum in nasty lawsuit with California neighbors

Nov 29, 2012, 12:45 PM EST

Andrew Bynum AP

Nothing brings out the best in people like disputes with neighbors.

And by “best” I mean most petty, childish, scuzzy behavior possible.

For seven years Andrew Bynum has owned a home in Westchester, an area of Los Angeles not too far from the Lakers practice facility (the Lakers traded him to Philadelphia last summer), and according to a lawsuit filed by him — and a countersuit by the neighbors — there is a real Hatfields and McCoys situation (minus all the killing).

As you would expect when people are behaving like fools, TMZ is all over it (hat tip to SLAM).

According to his lawsuit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Bynum says … the (neighbors Raymond and Cindy) Becketts have objected to his “profession, his race, his friends, his cars and his taste in music.”

Bynum claims the Becketts have behaved like petulant children — throwing coins at his Ferrari (which chipped the paint), screaming at him about his music, and even banging the side of his house with “a long stick….”

In their legal docs, the Becketts UNLOAD on the NBA star — claiming he’s guilty of the following misdeeds:

– brandishing firearms in an attempt to intimidate the Becketts
— “apparently” using drugs and allowing weed smoke to drift next door
— blasting loud, profane rap music (including the song “Currency” by Trina)
— constantly racing his luxury cars at dangerous speeds

Isn’t the best rap music profane?

I have no idea who is in the right here, as in most cases I am sure both sides share responsibility for this. Fortunately they are going to use the taxpayers’ dollars to settle their dispute.

What I do know is that Bynum should have plenty of time to focus on the lawsuit as he remains out indefinitely from the Sixers due to his knees. If the Becketts had said they had seen Bynum running and jumping around his house recently, then we would have something.

1. goraidersgospurs - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:57 PM

He now can do all that in philly (if its true) & blend right in….Its all love philly!!!

2. larrybrown43 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:18 PM

Every person’s nightmare is to live next to a NBA player. Headphones dude. Headphones.

3. hojo20 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:23 PM

Doesn’t surprise me, Bynum is the same fool that parks in handicapped spaces.

4. zerole00 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:59 PM

Wow, I read Bynum’s list of complaints and before even seeing the neighbor’s list I could already guess what he was doing to piss everyone off. I was pretty much dead on.

This guy would be in jail if it wasn’t for the NBA.

5. thevza - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:20 PM

As a Laker fan, I truly felt sorry for the Sixers when I learned that would be Bynum’s destination this past summer. I would have wished that cancer on a more deserving organization, i.e. Miami Heat.

• adoombray - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:30 PM

Oh whatever dude, as a Laker fan, you probably spent years running around saying things like “if he is healthy” “when he matures” “better center than Dwight Howard” until you got Dwight Howard, now ya’ll wash your hands of him and pretend like he wasn’t your boy, like he wasn’t Buss’ pet project and like he wasn’t being built up to be the franchise anchor for the next 10 years. Reason #523452345324123 why most NBA fans hate the Lakers.

• cosanostra71 - Nov 29, 2012 at 3:46 PM

stop stereotyping.

As a Lakers fan, I am glad to be rid of him. Not because he is a bad player, or necessarily a bad personality, but simply because he is injury prone. I think that most Lakers fans would have to agree on that one. I can’t remember the last time he played a full season. I do miss his entertaining personality though.

• raidmagic - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:04 PM

You are dead on man. Go back and read all the Howard drama threads, very few weren’t taking the stance that Bynum was a better player and they weren’t interested in Howard. Now Bynum is the worst guy in the world.

• thevza - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:57 AM

@adoombray:
        You know nothing about me, guy. I’ve been complaining for the past two years about Bynum’s poor attitude, lack of help defense, and general selfish behavior on the court. True, I was never a D. Howard fan, but I would have preferred his defensive presence any day. No way in hell did I want Bynum to be the future face of the franchise after Bryant retires. So please stop making assumptions and trolling pages, and go watch whatever crappy team you probably follow.

6. Mr. Wright 212 - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:26 PM

He could have it worse, like the FOOL who lives upstairs from me who bangs on his floor (my ceiling) at 2 in the morning because my TV is on volume 35 (out of 100), yet the TV cannot be heard two rooms away.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:37 PM

AHHHHHHahahahahaha!!!! LMFAO! Good one. Turn it up to 45 next time!

• badintent - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:38 AM

That’s Andrew’ s cuz !

7. 00maltliquor - Nov 29, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Bet you the Becketts were singing “Halleluja” when they watched the news the night Bynum got traded to Philly! LOL

To the equally snobby Becketts: MYOFB. You guys are the WORST kind of nieghbor.
    To Bynum: Don’t be a f’ing prick and drive fast down the residentials…there could be kids playing/walking down those streets!

8. vanmorrissey - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:10 PM

Immature on the court, immature off, not hard to believe. Just because you have money does not mean you’re entitled. There’s such a thing as respecting others. Dimwit.

9. dko83 - Nov 29, 2012 at 4:36 PM

Just when I think it’s possible to not hate Bynum any more, he always finds a way. The guy is trash.

10. badintent - Nov 30, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Yo, yo, yo ! We’ve already seen this movie , Lakeview Terrace ! It stars Samuel Jackson as a cop and his conflict with his neighbor in LA

11. dmq13 - Nov 30, 2012 at 2:41 AM

“20-10-5″ is the chorus to Bynums “Profane” song…Thats the type of game Philly fans are likely never to see from Bynum.

12. badintent - Nov 30, 2012 at 5:40 PM

Dan Aykroyd has had many lawsuits against his neighbor for many years, another Hollywood smuck.

Could Sixers be worst team in NBA history?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches