Nov 29, 2012, 12:45 PM EDT
Nothing brings out the best in people like disputes with neighbors.
And by “best” I mean most petty, childish, scuzzy behavior possible.
For seven years Andrew Bynum has owned a home in Westchester, an area of Los Angeles not too far from the Lakers practice facility (the Lakers traded him to Philadelphia last summer), and according to a lawsuit filed by him — and a countersuit by the neighbors — there is a real Hatfields and McCoys situation (minus all the killing).
According to his lawsuit, filed in L.A. County Superior Court, Bynum says … the (neighbors Raymond and Cindy) Becketts have objected to his “profession, his race, his friends, his cars and his taste in music.”
Bynum claims the Becketts have behaved like petulant children — throwing coins at his Ferrari (which chipped the paint), screaming at him about his music, and even banging the side of his house with “a long stick….”
In their legal docs, the Becketts UNLOAD on the NBA star — claiming he’s guilty of the following misdeeds:
– brandishing firearms in an attempt to intimidate the Becketts
— “apparently” using drugs and allowing weed smoke to drift next door
— blasting loud, profane rap music (including the song “Currency” by Trina)
— constantly racing his luxury cars at dangerous speeds
Isn’t the best rap music profane?
I have no idea who is in the right here, as in most cases I am sure both sides share responsibility for this. Fortunately they are going to use the taxpayers’ dollars to settle their dispute.
What I do know is that Bynum should have plenty of time to focus on the lawsuit as he remains out indefinitely from the Sixers due to his knees. If the Becketts had said they had seen Bynum running and jumping around his house recently, then we would have something.
- Trey Burke, in wake of nude-photo scandal: ‘My judgments will be much better’ 11
- Report: Kevin Durant says he wants to play in 2016 Olympics (his free agent summer) 5
- Morris twins sign four-year extensions with Suns 11
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Washington Wizards 3
- Rockets’ Daryl Morey fires back at Mark Cuban: If you care about chemistry, why break up a title team? 35
- Deron Williams fires back at Kobe: “If I’m 0-for-f******-9, I’m not shooting 20 more shots” 43
- LeBron James on running the Cavaliers offense: ‘This is Kyrie’s show’ 28
- Tim Duncan on decision to opt in for final year of his contract: ‘There was some hesitation there’ 20