Nov 28, 2012, 5:01 PM EDT
If the Washington Wizards beat the Portland Trail Blazers Wednesday night, it’s most likely because Nene returned from his foot injury and played well (he was +31 in limited minutes this season). Talent is what wins in the NBA.
But you have to use that talent wisely, and how to do that seems to be the focus of a closed-door meeting Wizards coach Randy Wittman had with his players Tuesday, reports CSNWashington.com.
“I always want a dialogue with my players,” Wittman said. “If they see things that can be done differently they’ve got to speak up. … I want to hear their reasoning for if we’re not doing something the right way. Is there a better way for them that they can see?”…
“He came in the locker room and began talking and said, ‘What do you guys feel?’” Wizards’ 19-year-old rookie Bradley Beal said after Tuesday’s practice at Verizon Center….
“It gets it off our chest,” Beal said. “We’re holding stuff in and sometimes you feel like, well, you can’t [challenge] the coach. You don’t feel comfortable saying it to him. But we actually got the opportunity to tell him what we need to do and how we need to do it, basically, and I think we’re doing a great job of getting that out.”
What the Wizards players are frustrated with is the fluctuating lineups and rotations, reports Michael Lee at the Washington Post (hat tip to KD at Ball Don’t Lie). In a search to find anything that works there has been no consistency from Wittman. Players don’t know their roles.
On the flip side, Wittman wants better focus on defense and defensive rotations specifically from the Wizards.
These kinds of meetings usually make people feel better — everybody sing Kumbaya — but have little impact on the court. What would help the Wizards on the court is to get a healthy Nene back, then maybe a healthy John Wall at some point.
- Report: Kevin Durant considering Knicks, being recruited by Carmelo Anthony 42
- Markieff Morris: “My future will not be in Phoenix” 33
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 34
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 52
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18