Nov 28, 2012, 12:14 PM EDT
Jeremy Lin didn’t grab the headlines Tuesday night when the Rockets played the Raptors, but he did score 16 points on 7-of-9 shooting and add 10 assists. It followed a game against the Knicks where Lin did grab the headlines going in and he scored 13 points.
Those two good games followed seven games in a row where Lin shot less than 40 percent, where he struggled to look good at all. He couldn’t seem to find a comfort zone playing next to James Harden.
But he has now, Rockets coach Kelvin Sampson told CSNHouston.com.
“No question. Without a doubt,” Sampson said. “Best game he’s played. Swagger… I thought he got his swagger back against New York.
“He came back yesterday (Monday) and got a lot of shots up. He’s been working hard with his shooting. You work at something, you’re probably going to get better at it. But his confidence, his mojo, swagger, whatever you want to call it, he looks more comfortable on the court.”
I re-watched Lin in the last two games and he is scoring in the ways you would expect — he is getting out in transition and getting good looks there before the defense sets; and he is attacking off the pick-and-roll but doing a better job of waiting for space to his right to make a move rather than letting the defense dictate where he goes.
And his spot up shot is falling. One of the quiet strengths of his game last year was shooting 46.4 percent from 10 feet out to the arc (but just 32 percent beyond it). This season his midrange game had fallen off, he is shooting just 22.7 percent from 10 feet out to the arc (and 24.3 percent from three). Part of that was defenses more focused on him, part of it was getting used to being next to Harden, part of it was confidence.
But if the last two games are any indication, Jeremy Lin may have gotten his swagger back.
- Posnanski: LeBron James proves he’s a true Clevelander 16
- Report: Isaiah Thomas headed to Phoenix Suns in a sign-and-trade 22
- Report: Chris Bosh re-signing with Heat over joining Rockets 73
- Report: Heat offer Chris Bosh full max contract to keep him from Rockets 26
- PBT Extra: LeBron James returns to Cleveland to try and cement legacy 17
- Deal set: Lakers trade for Jeremy Lin, which for L.A. is largely about draft pick (as is Gasol for Boozer idea) 34
- Carmelo Anthony still not ready to decide, but he needs to soon as options dry up 48
- Report: With LeBron James heading to Cleveland, Kevin Love would commit to Cavaliers long term if traded there 58