Nov 28, 2012, 3:21 PM EST
Most players who have a major Achilles tendon injury at age 36 are done. It’s time to walk away from the game, spend more time with your family and your golf game.
Not Chauncey Billups. Not Mr. Big Shot. The Clippers guard was going to leave the game on his own terms and worked hard for 10 months to recover from a torn Achilles suffered last February in Orlando.
And Wednesday night at Staples Center he will have made it all the way back, reports Marc Spears of Yahoo Sports.
Clippers guard Chauncey Billups will make his season debut tonight against Minnesota, a source tells Y! Sports. Billups will start at SG.
— Marc J. Spears (@SpearsNBAYahoo) November 28, 2012
This is a great pickup for a Clippers team that has struggled the last five games. Billups is not the athlete he was when he was winning an NBA finals MVP in 2004, but he brings a calmness and sense of purpose to the Clippers when he is on the floor. At least he did last season, when he averaged 15 points a game (but shooting just under 40 percent). It’s why Chris Paul pushed the Clippers to bring him back.
It creates a new headache for Vinny Del Negro — he has to find minutes for Billups, Eric Bledsoe (who has been fantastic off the bench and was playing some two alongside CP3) and Jamal Crawford. You get the feeling Willie Green is going to lose out here and go from starter to rarely-seen bench player.
But this is great for the Clippers. And great for Billups, a guy who has earned the right to chose how and when he leaves the game.
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 0
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 41
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10