Nov 28, 2012, 9:02 PM EST
Rajon Rondo took exception to the contact, a hit that landed above the shoulders and knocked Garnett to the ground. Rondo immediately engaged with Humphries, initiating a melee that extended off the floor and a couple of rows deep into the stands.
When all was said and done, Rondo and Humphries were ejected, as was Gerald Wallace, who received his second technical foul of the night for his involvement. Garnett also received a technical foul, but was allowed to remain in the game.
This was 100 percent on Rondo, and he can expect a suspension to come down from the league office for instigating this entire thing. It’ll be at least one game, but multiple games would be appropriate considering the unwarranted attack on Humphries for what wasn’t even a flagrant foul that he committed against one of Rondo’s teammates.
One other interesting note to pass along, and that’s the fact that Rondo’s much-celebrated assists streak — the one that was getting him close to breaking the all-time record for consecutive games with 10 assists or more held by Magic Johnson — is now finished. Rondo had recorded three assists in 18 first-half minutes, but that’ll be all for him on this night.
- Monday night NBA Grades: DeMarcus Cousins was in beast mode 0
- PBT Extra: Kobe Bryant is back, doesn’t have much time to get it right 3
- It’s official, Clippers agree to terms with Stephen Jackson 3
- PBT NBA Power Rankings: At the quarter pole Portland takes the lead 17
- Paul Pierce practiced Monday, could return vs. Celtics Tuesday 2
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)