Nov 28, 2012, 9:02 PM EDT
Rajon Rondo took exception to the contact, a hit that landed above the shoulders and knocked Garnett to the ground. Rondo immediately engaged with Humphries, initiating a melee that extended off the floor and a couple of rows deep into the stands.
When all was said and done, Rondo and Humphries were ejected, as was Gerald Wallace, who received his second technical foul of the night for his involvement. Garnett also received a technical foul, but was allowed to remain in the game.
This was 100 percent on Rondo, and he can expect a suspension to come down from the league office for instigating this entire thing. It’ll be at least one game, but multiple games would be appropriate considering the unwarranted attack on Humphries for what wasn’t even a flagrant foul that he committed against one of Rondo’s teammates.
One other interesting note to pass along, and that’s the fact that Rondo’s much-celebrated assists streak — the one that was getting him close to breaking the all-time record for consecutive games with 10 assists or more held by Magic Johnson — is now finished. Rondo had recorded three assists in 18 first-half minutes, but that’ll be all for him on this night.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 13
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 12
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16