Michael Jordan’s shorts ruffle feathers at stuffy Miami country club. Good.

Nov 28, 2012, 12:41 PM EDT

Jordan golf Getty Images

Some will look at this as a story of Michael Jordan and his feeling of entitlement. And truth be told there is some of that here. Jordan wears his entitlement like a Rolex.

But if Jordan is pissing off some up-tight, old rich people in Miami then I’m good with it.

It all comes down to Jordan’s choice in shorts, according to the report in the New York Post (hat tip to SLAM).

Page Six has exclusively learned the NBA legend hit the links as a guest at swanky La Gorce Country Club — but his gear didn’t fit the club’s old-school rules. “Michael was wearing cargo pants on the course,” said a spy. Jordan’s multipocketed pants were apparently against the dress code that, sources say, dictates that members and guests must be attired in a collared shirt and Bermuda shorts. But when 6-foot, 6-inch Jordan was offered a chance to change outfits, he demurred. “He was given the chance to change but he didn’t want to,” a source said….

The source added that members complained about Jordan breaking the rules and, “He won’t be invited back.”

Somewhere, Michael Jordan just shrugged and went on with his day.

If you are offended and complaining that someone — Michael Jordan or anyone else — is wearing cargo shorts and not Bermuda shorts on your golf course, you need to get a life. That or karma will come around and give you something in your life actually worth worrying about.

So the La Gorce Country Club is going to improve its public standing by never allowing avid golfer Michael Jordan to return. Well done. That should really help you draw in new members under 40.

1. karlton3 - Nov 28, 2012 at 12:57 PM

What up-tight old rich folk pee’d in your Cheerios, Kurt?

2. cakemixa - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:01 PM

There are dress code police “spies” and “sources” at a golf course? Seriously?

3. steviekthr3e - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:04 PM

I’ve seen that man swing a club 10 ft. away from me. Michael Jordan should be able to play in his Hanes briefs and a T all he wants.

• brutl - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

I’m sure you’d like that.
      Sounds like you’re bout to mess your pants thinking about him anyway.
      He’s an egomaniac because nobody ever stands up to him. I’m glad someone did for once.

• dannymac17 - Nov 28, 2012 at 3:38 PM

You should at least try to be funny.

4. nolanwiffle - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:11 PM

Good to see class warfare taking solid hold here at PBT. Why the animosity toward fellow citizens who may have earned more than you? It’s a private club….members make the rules. If you can’t abide by their rules, go play golf somewhere else.

No big deal.

• Kurt Helin - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:20 PM

Personally, I don’t care if they are rich or not, I just don’t like stuffy people.

• nolanwiffle - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:00 AM

What makes these people “stuffy”? If you were invited to a black tie formal dinner, would you wear jeans and a t-shirt?

The club has a dress code for its members and their respective guests on the golf course. Why not just respect their rules?

I recall several years ago when Commissioner Stern instituted a dress code for inactive players on NBA benches…..was that “stuffy”?

5. skids003 - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:19 PM

I would say Michael pretty rich and entitled himself. He’s not like us, Kurt.

6. dko83 - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM

lol this is great. Umm sir, could you maybe umm, put on a different pair of shorts please..? B$*%$#, I’m Michael Jordan!

• lakerchuy - Nov 28, 2012 at 3:06 PM

and they said, B$*%$# dont come back! haha Jordan is an idiot, he is not as relevant as he thinks he is.

• letangusespertplus - Nov 28, 2012 at 5:00 PM

he is and always will be relevant.

7. metalhead65 - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:23 PM

it’s their golf course and they can have whatever rules they want. I doubt they care about publicity or if people like you care about them. if nobody under 40 wants to join I doubt they care about that either. it is their club and despite what you and other tree huggers think they can do whatever they want.

• Uncle Charlie - Nov 28, 2012 at 6:20 PM

treehuggers, awesome what are you 50? you babykiller!

• metalhead65 - Nov 28, 2012 at 6:50 PM

no I am 53 and wtf are you talking about?babykiller? how do you go from this America and it’s their money and club and they can do whatever they want to calling me a babykiller?

8. cantonbound13 - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:24 PM

It was 1972wasalongtimeago that complained.

9. captainwisdom8888 - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:00 PM

If you happen to be a member of this country club, and an odd selection of shorts by a nearby player (MJ or not) manages to push you over the edge…that’s rather pathetic. Those fools should feel honored that MJ chose to play there regardless of his attire.

Then again, with Jordan being an avid golfer, you would expect him to be well aware of dress codes at such upscale country clubs…this certainly isn’t his first time frequenting such places. What kind of shorts to wear is a pretty easy rule to follow…last I checked.

• nolanwiffle - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:32 PM

Explain to me why the “fools” who constitute the membership of La Gorce Country Club should “feel honored that MJ chose to play” their course. Because he’s a celebrity?

10. moagecu - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:06 PM

worked at a country club for 5 years. members are very strict on attire. many celebrities were told they couldn’t golf there because of the publicity so I can easily see them getting angry over shorts.

11. supremekingz - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

brutl – Nov 28, 2012 at 1:21 PM
    I’m sure you’d like that.
    Sounds like you’re bout to mess your pants thinking about him anyway.
    —————————————————————————————————————————————————–

Bravo fine sir!

I couldn’t agree more and I’m a die-hard Bulls fan. Rules are rules, regardless of stupidity, or whatever VIP it offends. Even President Obama had to show his ID when he did early voting in Chicago last month, so who is Jordan that he can’t follow the rules also?

I really enjoyed him on the court in his day, but you have to admit. Michael Jordan is one of the most selfish, egotistical men on the planet.

Just ask all the NBA players who lost respect for him during the lockout

• lakerchuy - Nov 28, 2012 at 3:07 PM

well said.

12. moagecu - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:08 PM

also this is the same guy that was lounging around on the tee box during the Ryder cup. it’s clear he follows his own set of rules.

13. jikkle49 - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:57 PM

If someone invited you to a formal dinner would you show up in a t shirt and jeans?

I don’t care if it’s a country club for rich people. They have a dress code and rules so either follow them or don’t play there.

14. lakerchuy - Nov 28, 2012 at 3:10 PM

nobody worships Jordan as much as Jordan worships himself. he is not as relevant as he thinks he is. jordan, you are a shoe salesman. go change, or go home. haha

15. teabone13 - Nov 28, 2012 at 4:26 PM

Met a few nba players in my time… mj was/is the biggest jerk of all time. Money just magnifies who you are…

16. BigBeachBall - Nov 28, 2012 at 7:22 PM

Jordan has played enough golf to know EVERY gold club has that cargo shorts rule…. He was just looking to start some beef….

17. eventhorizon04 - Nov 28, 2012 at 11:58 PM

Folks at this country club absolutely have the right to set rules about what shorts people can wear, but we obviously have the right to mock them for being dismayed by a guy wearing cargo shorts instead of Bermuda shorts.

For example, if I host a party, and set a dress code stating that everybody has to wear a custom-made T-shirt with my picture on it, is that okay?

Sure, it’s my party.

But you’d be more than right to mock me if I started to kick guests out of my party for not wearing those T-shirts.

• nolanwiffle - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:05 AM

You’re not very good at analogies.

• 1historian - Dec 11, 2012 at 2:12 PM

betcha he has trouble with words with more than three syllables too

18. genericcommenter - Nov 29, 2012 at 12:51 AM

I’m missing the part where it mentions he was wearing shorts at all. I keep seeing the reference to “cargo pants” as in, you know, pants.

He wore cargo pants, but they wanted him to wear Bermuda shorts.

Isn’t it usually the opposite at golf courses? I always thought golfers were supposed to wear long pants and wearing shorts was bad etiquette. WTH kind of swanky place would require men to wear shorts- which are considered about as acceptable as Crocs by a lot of fashion-snobs?

• jacksprat57 - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:12 AM

A course for retirees in Florida.

19. glink123 - Nov 29, 2012 at 1:10 AM

Jordan’s net worth is more than $500 million dollars. He could buy that lame club and bulldoze it to the ground just for shitz and giggles. “the only reason I’m here is because I might buy this dump!”.

20. jemmajam - Nov 29, 2012 at 5:39 AM

No one gets it! Social narcissism at it’s best… this is not about cargo shorts/pants, celebrity status or who has how much money. I’m not a huge fan of MJ per say.however, here we have group flexing their status muscles directly at someone who obviosly makes them feel threatened. Hmmmm…wonder what they would say had Tiger walked on their course wearing cargo shorts- Just a thought:-)

• jacksprat57 - Feb 1, 2013 at 8:23 AM

As a psychologist and sociologist, don’t give up your wet mop, guy.

21. azarkhan - Nov 30, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Jordan is an arrogant a-hole. The club is better off without him.

22. jacksprat57 - Feb 1, 2013 at 7:53 AM

Yeah, Kurt? No rules, eh? Or, do you just mean that ‘THEY’ don’t get to expect courtesy from YOU and Mike?

How has sale of Hawks made other NBA owners nervous?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches