Nov 27, 2012, 4:50 PM EDT
Here is our regular look around the NBA — links to stories worth reading and notes to check out (stuff that did not get its own post here at PBT) — done in bullet point form. Because bloggers love bullet points.
• Which NBA teams have the most shout-outs in rap songs? You should be able to guess that.
• This is a really fantastic bit of writing by Jessica Camerato of CSNNE.com, detailing the Celtics Avery Bradley and what he has had to do to recover from shoulder surgery.
• If you read one thing today, Zach Lowe’s look around the NBA at Grantland should be it.
• Jrue Holiday thinks he deserves All-Star consideration. Holiday is having a fantastic season, the best of his career. But voters (and the coaches picking the reserves) chose not by position but rather two guards, which means he is in a conference with where he has to get picked in front of guards like Deron Williams, Rajon Rondo, Dwyane Wade, Joe Johnson, Kyrie Irving (Derrick Rose happens to be out) it just seems unlikely.
• In case you missed it, Marco Belinelli got a DNP-Coach’s Decision Monday. He is pretty much out of the Bulls rotation.
• Lamar Odom is averaging 1.4 points per game on 21.4 percent shooting with a PER of 2.7. Yikes. Now Clippers coach Vinny Del Negro said Lamar Odom knows he needs to play better and he is working to keep Odom “engaged.” Not good, Clippers fans. Not good at all.
• Want to spend a day with Phil Jackson? TMZ camera crews following you around are not included, but you can ask him to tell you the real story about Jerry Kraus or Jim Buss. Just make a $10 donation through the Web site Omaze.com to the American Indian College Fund and you are entered in the raffle. The winner will receive airfare and accommodation for 2 to Los Angeles in addition to their day with Jackson. Sorry, also Jeannie not part of the package.
Mar 13, 2014, 3:53 AM EDT
Our quick look around the NBA, or what you missed while playing table tennis against a robot… Paul Pierce, Brooklyn Nets. In a game against LeBron James and Dwyane Wade, The Truth was the best player on the court. He couldn’t seem to miss on his way to 29 points on 9-of-12 shooting including 5-of-7…
Mar 13, 2014, 12:55 AM EDT
Normally posting video of one player dropping another with a crossover if it only leads to a missed shot is a bit gauche, but in this case, it’s worth making the exception. Tony Wroten seems to mystify Kings rookie Ray McCallum here, and McCallum trips over himself trying to keep up. Again, Wroten should have…
Mar 13, 2014, 12:11 AM EDT
Brooklyn started to look like a threat this season when they were forced by injry to go small without Brook Lopez, which meant coach Jason Kidd slid Paul Pierce over to the power forward slot. You knew Pierce could score at the four, but the surprise is how much better the Brooklyn defense is with…
Cole Aldrich, nearly four years after being drafted in lottery, gets double-double in first career start
Mar 12, 2014, 11:11 PM EDT
BOSTON – As a swarm of media enclosed Cole Aldrich, the playful calls began from his teammates in the less-crowded areas of the New York Knicks locker room. “Cole Stoudemire!” “Cole Chandler!” Aldrich could hardly contain his smile as he discussed his first career start with larger-than-usual-for-him audience. Without the Knicks’ highly paid big men,…
Mar 12, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
Memphis grinds, they defend, they make the game ugly and throw you off your game. That is how they won 6-of-7 and vaulted into the Western Conference playoff picture. But they can make shots when they need to. Mike Conley did that for the game winner against the Pelicans on Wednesday night — he came…
Mar 12, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Adam Silver has preached transparency and innovation since taking over as the NBA’s commissioner on Feb. 1, and that has meant a lot of talk about how the draft lottery may not be the perfect solution to prevent teams from stacking their rosters with less than the best available talent as part of the rebuilding…
Mar 12, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
The Bobcats are a playoff team in the East at the moment, but that position is relatively tenuous. Every game counts toward that goal, obviously, so willingly sitting down one of your rotation players has to have happened for a good reason. We don’t yet know exactly what that reason is, but we do know…
Mar 12, 2014, 7:59 PM EDT
It’s just one game, so you can’t read too much into Andrew Bynum‘s 8 point, 10 rebound first game with the Pacers, but he certainly has the potential to make them better. Today on PBT Extra Kay Adams talk about what Bynum can bring to the Pacers. Then we discuss the stumbles of the Portland…
Mar 12, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Is there tanking going on in the NBA this season? Depends on how you want to define taking. However even if you define it broadly it’s not as bad as many seem to think it is. New NBA commissioner Adam Silver defines it more narrowly and says there is no tanking going on right now.…
Mar 12, 2014, 6:16 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant expects the Lakers front office to turn the Lakers roster around fast. By the start of next season fast (when he will return from his fractured knee). I expect Emily Ratajkowski to call me so we can go out tonight. You can expect whatever you want, doesn’t make it reality. But if Kobe…
Mar 12, 2014, 5:08 PM EDT
Kobe Bryant is frustrated — with his recovery, with the Lakers losing, with Lakers management. And he talks about it all.
Mar 12, 2014, 4:04 PM EDT
NBA guys break out trick shots at practice all the time. Not so much during pregame warmups. Except for Dallas’ Monta Ellis, who practiced some free throws with his eyes closed, and a no-look over-his-head corner three. And nailed it. Maybe he should have broke them out during the game in Golden State Tuesday night…
Mar 12, 2014, 2:55 PM EDT
We told you this was coming on Tuesday night, but now the Lakers have made it official: Kobe Bryant is out for the remainder of this NBA season. “Obviously this has been a frustrating and disappointing season, but I appreciate all the support I’ve received from the Lakers and the fans, and look forward to…
Mar 12, 2014, 2:40 PM EDT
It’s the NBA — you keep your star players in the loop, you consult with them on big moves, if for no other reason then to make them feel wanted. Elite talent is in limited supply in the NBA, you need to keep those guys happy. So it was only a matter of time before…
Steve Kerr confirms his interest in coaching, understands speculation that he will join Phil Jackson with Knicks
Mar 12, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Steve Kerr sees why you’d make the connection between Phil Jackson, the Knicks, and himself. But he won’t discuss it just yet.
Mar 12, 2014, 1:04 PM EDT
Patrick Beverley went hard after Russell Westbrook from the opening tip on Tuesday, but James Harden says it was a needless distraction.
Mar 12, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
Thomas grew up a Lakers, Kobe Bryant fan.
Mar 12, 2014, 11:59 AM EDT
“From that day forward, I knew I was the guy, the leader, and I knew that they trusted me.”
Mar 12, 2014, 11:32 AM EDT
Carmelo Anthony has never met Phil Jackson.
Mar 12, 2014, 10:52 AM EDT
Andrew Bynum looked good against the Celtics Tuesday. It was simple and clear. When basketball coaches say “you can’t teach height” Bynum showed exactly what they mean — matched up on Jared Sullinger and Brandon Bass, Bynum just grabbed rebounds and made shots right over the top of them. He was too big, too physical.…
- Wednesday NBA grades: Brooklyn is all about The Truth 0
- Truth too much for Heat, Brooklyn knocks off Miami 12
- PBT Extra: Talking Andrew Bynum’s arrival, Trail Blazers’ stumble 0
- Report: Kobe Bryant has “no interest” in playing for Mike D’Antoni next season 38
- Kobe expects to be old self again next season, expects Lakers’ front office to fix team fast 31