Nov 27, 2012, 2:18 AM EDT
The Charlotte Bobcats were historically bad last season — the team with the worst winning percentage in the history of the NBA. They were 7-59.
And their performance Monday night in a 114-69 loss to the Thunder may have been their worst game yet. Which seems out of place for a Bobcats team that is 7-6 on the season, but this was a train wreck.
We’re going to break this down by the numbers, just to give you a sense of how bad it was. It was the only way we could think to do it without using a lot of Harlem Globetrotters/Washington Generals comparisons.
• The Thunder went on a 24-6 run to end the first quarter and lead by 16 points. Then they went on a 10-0 run early in the second quarter then a 19-2 run to close out the first half. Then they went on a 15-1 run to open the second half.
• Oklahoma had a 40-point lead at halftime – 64-24. The Thunder shot 59.5 percent in the first half.
• Charlotte shot 21.6 percent in the first half. Point guards Kemba Walker and Ramon Sessions were a combined 0-9 shooting with a combined two assists at the half. The Thunder had as many points in the paint in the first half (24) as the Bobcats had points period.
• Oklahoma City led by as many as 53 and won by 45.
• The Bobcats shot 29.1 percent for the game.
• If you prefer your stats advanced, the Thunder had an offensive rating of 119.8 for the game, the Bobcats 76.1.
• Jeff Taylor had 10 points and he led the Bobcats and he was the only Charlotte player in double figures scoring.
• Oklahoma City had six players in double digit scoring, led by Kevin Durant’s 18.
• OKC backup center Hasheem Thabeet had his first career double-double — 13 points, 11 rebounds.
Aug 2, 2014, 1:22 AM EDT
Adam Silver and Larry Bird issued statements as well.
LeBron James leads long list of players wishing Paul George the best after suffering serious USA Basketball injury
Aug 2, 2014, 12:07 AM EDT
LeBron, like most NBA players, had nothing but get-well wishes for Paul George following what appeared to be a serious injury.
Aug 2, 2014, 12:01 AM EDT
Rose looking as athletic as ever.
Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled
Aug 1, 2014, 10:51 PM EDT
Gruesome injury suffered by George causes remainder of scrimmage to be canceled.
Aug 1, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Only six NBA players have no-trade clauses, and Parker wasn’t eligible under the circumstances.
Aug 1, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
New uniforms for the national team.
Aug 1, 2014, 7:35 PM EDT
Damian Lillard also wanted Williams back in Portland
Aug 1, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
Magic Johnson takes parting shot at Mike D’Antoni
Aug 1, 2014, 5:44 PM EDT
Rumor had suggested Brewer could replace Kevin Martin or J.J. Barea in deal
Aug 1, 2014, 5:00 PM EDT
Chicago added Pau Gasol, Nikola Mirotic and Doug McDermott this summer
Aug 1, 2014, 4:14 PM EDT
New York had only minimum contract available
Aug 1, 2014, 3:37 PM EDT
If true, Corey Brewer would be a nice get for the Cavaliers.
Aug 1, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
It’s no Heat-Cavaliers, but it’ll do
Aug 1, 2014, 2:22 PM EDT
Parker’s max extension: three years, $43,335,938
Aug 1, 2014, 1:51 PM EDT
Aug 1, 2014, 1:00 PM EDT
Wade is trying to drop pounds to make life easier on his knees. We’ll see how much that helps.
Aug 1, 2014, 12:25 PM EDT
That will go away in three months
Aug 1, 2014, 11:51 AM EDT
“So when I say I felt disrespected, I just felt like the way I played the game of basketball wasn’t appreciated.” —Isaiah Thomas referring to Sacramento management.
Aug 1, 2014, 11:20 AM EDT
Why is the Pacers’ star choosing LeBron James’ team?
Report: Greg Monroe ‘doesn’t really have a great interest in going back and playing with the Pistons’
Aug 1, 2014, 10:29 AM EDT
Pistons have reportedly talked sign-and-trade with Hawks, Suns and Blazers (but Portland is out)
- Paul George tweets: “I’ll be ok and be back better than ever” 0
- Paul George leaves USA Basketball Showcase with severe lower leg injury, remainder of scrimmage canceled 74
- Rumor: Corey Brewer to Cleveland now part of Kevin Love trade talk 24
- Tony Parker signs (another) contract extension with Spurs 10
- Bulls owner issues statement refuting rift between Bulls front office, Derrick Rose 23
- If traded before World Cup starts could Kevin Love still play for USA? Colangelo said it’s possible. 2
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 18
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 49