Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 PM EDT
Wednesday in Minnesota there will be a memorial service for Sasha McHale, the 23-year-old daughter of Rockets coach (and Celtics legend) Kevin McHale. She lost a long battle with Lupus and, as a father, I can’t imagine McHale’s pain. My heart goes out to him.
The Rockets players want to be supportive and they are enduring a lot of extra travel to do so — they play Tuesday night in Houston against the Raptors, fly to Minneapolis overnight to attend the funeral Wednesday, then take another flight to Oklahoma City, where they land at 3:30 p.m. before a game that night against the Thunder.
And the players seem to wish they could do more, they told NBA.com.
“We’re trying to support him and be there for him as much as possible,” said guard James Harden. “It means a lot, knowing our schedule, knowing we have a game the same day. Obviously, it doesn’t take away the pain from what he lost. We’re just trying to be there to offer support as much as we can.”
The Rockets also are wearing a green band on their jersey shoulder, Green being Sasha’s favorite color.
It is a fantastic gesture by the team.
- Shaq tells Suzy Shuster he, Kobe Bryant could have tied Jordan’s six titles 28
- Dwight Howard tried to take loaded gun through airport security, will not face charges 44
- Will Miami make a run at Kevin Durant? 17
- Report: Veteran forward Chuck Hayes agrees to deal with Clippers 7
- Report: Lakers to sign Brazilian, FC Barcelona point guard Marcelo Huertas to one-year deal 10
- Shaq to Kobe on podcast: “I just want people to know that I don’t hate you” 18
- D’Angelo Russell on Tracy McGrady tweet: “Some Lakers fans are spoiled” 28
- Anthony Davis “definitely” plans on shooting more threes this season 4