Nov 27, 2012, 10:01 PM EST
Wednesday in Minnesota there will be a memorial service for Sasha McHale, the 23-year-old daughter of Rockets coach (and Celtics legend) Kevin McHale. She lost a long battle with Lupus and, as a father, I can’t imagine McHale’s pain. My heart goes out to him.
The Rockets players want to be supportive and they are enduring a lot of extra travel to do so — they play Tuesday night in Houston against the Raptors, fly to Minneapolis overnight to attend the funeral Wednesday, then take another flight to Oklahoma City, where they land at 3:30 p.m. before a game that night against the Thunder.
And the players seem to wish they could do more, they told NBA.com.
“We’re trying to support him and be there for him as much as possible,” said guard James Harden. “It means a lot, knowing our schedule, knowing we have a game the same day. Obviously, it doesn’t take away the pain from what he lost. We’re just trying to be there to offer support as much as we can.”
The Rockets also are wearing a green band on their jersey shoulder, Green being Sasha’s favorite color.
It is a fantastic gesture by the team.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 1
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39