Nov 27, 2012, 7:25 PM EDT
Mavericks coach Rick Carlisle has been frustrated with point guard Darren Collison this season — just the other day Carlisle ripped Collison’s defense. Offensively Collison’s overall numbers are pretty average for a starter — 12.9 points on 43.6 percent shooting, a PER right at the league average 15. That said, Collison is getting 30 percent of his shots as the pick-and-roll ball handler and is shooting just 31.9 percent in that role, according to Synergy Sports.
So Tuesday Carlisle made a pretty bold move, starting Dominique Jones at the point instead, something I first saw in a tweet from Bryan Gutierrez and confirmed by other media. Jones has been playing just 10 minutes a game off the bench and shooting just 34.9 percent this season.
But Jones is a better and more physical defender, and with the Mavs taking on the 76ers Carlisle clearly went with somebody who might slow Jrue Holiday a little.
Rookie and PBT favorite Jae Crowder also got the start in this game, replacing Elton Brand as Carlisle went small. Carlisle is searching for something that works for is .500 team, this is Dallas’ seventh starting lineup this season.
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks 12
- Roy Hibbert with the monster block on a dunk attempt from Carmelo Anthony (VIDEO) 13
- Nate Robinson unlikely to return to Bulls next season 11
- Preview: Knicks try to continue longshot comeback in Indiana 7
- George Hill cleared to play for Pacers in Game 6 vs. Knicks 10
- Knicks predictably drop Game 4 to Pacers, fall behind 3-1 (93)
- LeBron James shrugs off claims he’s a flopper (64)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (64)
- Seattle group releases statement; forced to wait, hope for expansion (63)
- Bad shooting night for Bulls dooms them in game Game 4. And series. (62)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- PBT Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- Play Video: Grizzlies ready for 'running' Spurs
- Play Video: Durant won't 'compromise himself' like other stars
- Play Video: Knicks avoid elimination
- Play Video: Heat finish off Bulls, James 'has no energy left'
- Play Video: Health woes make Heat vulnerable
- Play Video: Good news for Sacramento, Kings stay