Nov 27, 2012, 12:42 PM EDT
Sacramento Kings center DeMarcus Cousins was ejected Saturday night, and that barely causes a ripple in the pond anymore. Cousins was called for a foul on Utah’s Enes Kanter, then after the whistle stopped play Cousins slapped the ball out of Kanter’s hands and that earned him his first technical.
Shockingly, Cousins’ disagreed with a call and went and said something to referee Gary Zielinski, then whatever he said walking away got him ejected.
“The referee cursed at me,” Cousins said. “He told me to go (expletive) ask the other referee (about the first technical foul). I was going to say something back, kept my cool and walked away and still end up with a technical. So I still don’t understand….”
And what did Cousins see when he watched the replay?
“It’s DeMarcus Cousins, so let’s ‘T’ him up,” Cousins said.
Cousins’ play is fueled by his emotions, but he has to keep those under control better. It’s that simple. It’s what Kobe Bryant said about him at Team USA camp, it’s not a new discussion. He is the Kings best player, leading the team in scoring (16.1 points per game) and rebounding (9.6 per contest) — they need him on the floor.
Which is why if the referee swears at him, he has to walk away and say nothing (I find it hard to buy that’s what happened here). Cousins needs to be bigger than the moment. Who cares what the referee says? Let it go.
Be the mature person and get your revenge with wins.
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 0
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 32
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 47
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 16
- Report: Knicks to sign Robin Lopez to four-year, $54 million contract (unless DeAndre Jordan changes his mind) 9
- PBT Extra: Free agent signings we didn’t love 6
- Report: Wes Matthews reaches agreement to join Dallas Mavericks 23
- PBT Extra: Five best free agent signings in the first days of free agency 11