Nov 26, 2012, 10:03 AM EDT
They are both former NBA players but they come at their jobs very differently.
To hear Orland’s Glen Davis tell it, Celtics coach Doc Rivers is an old school coach where Magic coach Jacque Vaughn is more a players’ coach into positive reinforcement. That’s what Davis told the Boston Herald.
“Different guys,” he said after (Sunday’s) pre-game shootaround. “Doc is more of a military-minded kind of guy, and Jacque is more of a Gandhi kind of guy. Soft but powerful.
“Doc’s more get the job done, and Jacque Vaughn is more the kind of guy who will ask you, Would you feel comfortable getting the job done?” said Davis. “I think that’s different with players. But in my system, I think I just feel better functioning in Jacque’s system. Doc wasn’t the kind of guy to pat you on your back and say, good job, man. He’s more like, OK, move on. In a way that’s positive, but some players are different. Jacque’s a different kind of guy. He pats you on your back – good job. That’s his motivation. But at the same time he still holds you accountable if you’re doing things wrong.”
Which works better? Clearly Rivers’ style if you give him vastly more talent than Vaughn to work with.
Fact is no two players are the same and what motivates one may not motivate another, you have to find the right buttons. It doesn’t matter if you are old school, new school, Zen, a numbers guy, what matters is getting the players to buy into what you are doing.
Rivers has done that. The fact the Magic are 5-8 with that roster shows Vaughn has gotten buy-in, too. And that’s what matters.
- Kevin Love pulling out of USA Basketball due to lingering likelihood of trade from Timberwolves 13
- Why are the Lakers hiring Byron Scott as head coach? 12
- Report: NBA considering week-long break for All-Star Game next year 6
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 48
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 26
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 32
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 16