Nov 26, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
The Wizards are off to their worst start in franchise history. Still winless after 11 games puts them at the bottom of the league’s standings and power rankings across the web (including ours).
Despite this awful start, rookie Bradley Beal thinks his Wizards will make the playoffs:
“We’re 0-11 but we still have 71 more games,” Beal said following Saturday night’s double-overtime loss to the Charlotte Bobcats. “It’s still a long season and we still have an opportunity to get over .500.
“That’s our goal and we need to shoot for it. Just try to get in the playoffs. I mean, we’re going to make it. I have faith in this team and I think we’re more than capable of doing it.”
In one respect, you have to love the confidence. Theoretically, there’s nowhere to go but up for the hapless Wizards and in an Eastern Conference where it’s still the Heat and then everyone else, there will be playoff spots up for grabs at the bottom of the bracket.
Plus, with Nene now back from injury and John Wall hopefully back from his before the new year, the Wizards will be adding quality players to their roster. Those two can be the anchors for a strong push that sees them get some much needed wins.
That said, the Wizards are still looking at a steep uphill climb to be in contention for even an 8th seed. Right now the Celtics are sitting in that last playoff spot and they’re two games over .500 at 8-6. To think the Wizards can win at a high enough clip to even come close to a .500 record by the end of the season is wishful thinking even with 71 games left on the docket.
But I give Beal credit. At least he believes in his team.
- It’s official: Lakers rule out Kobe Bryant for remainder of NBA season 0
- Carmelo Anthony confirms Phil Jackson “will be coming on board” with Knicks 9
- Report: Knicks, Phil Jackson have deal in principle for him to be team president. Or not. Depends on who you ask. 26
- Extra Pass: Western Conference playoff field ought to be really good, but just how good? 1
- Tuesday night NBA Grades: San Antonio with another impressive statement 17