Nov 26, 2012, 3:15 PM EDT
The Wizards are off to their worst start in franchise history. Still winless after 11 games puts them at the bottom of the league’s standings and power rankings across the web (including ours).
Despite this awful start, rookie Bradley Beal thinks his Wizards will make the playoffs:
“We’re 0-11 but we still have 71 more games,” Beal said following Saturday night’s double-overtime loss to the Charlotte Bobcats. “It’s still a long season and we still have an opportunity to get over .500.
“That’s our goal and we need to shoot for it. Just try to get in the playoffs. I mean, we’re going to make it. I have faith in this team and I think we’re more than capable of doing it.”
In one respect, you have to love the confidence. Theoretically, there’s nowhere to go but up for the hapless Wizards and in an Eastern Conference where it’s still the Heat and then everyone else, there will be playoff spots up for grabs at the bottom of the bracket.
Plus, with Nene now back from injury and John Wall hopefully back from his before the new year, the Wizards will be adding quality players to their roster. Those two can be the anchors for a strong push that sees them get some much needed wins.
That said, the Wizards are still looking at a steep uphill climb to be in contention for even an 8th seed. Right now the Celtics are sitting in that last playoff spot and they’re two games over .500 at 8-6. To think the Wizards can win at a high enough clip to even come close to a .500 record by the end of the season is wishful thinking even with 71 games left on the docket.
But I give Beal credit. At least he believes in his team.
- Paul George refutes report he didn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘Media reaching again’ 0
- PBT Extra preview: Lakers, Celtics big name teams headed to lottery 9
- Could lottery reform be bad for small market teams? Sam Presti argues yes. 13
- LeBron James and his difficult-to-assess super teams 25
- Kevin Durant on return: “I’m not going to rush it all” 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 preview: Dallas Mavericks 6
- LeBron James: “(The Bulls) are a team that’s much better than us right now just off chemistry” 36
- Has Kobe Bryant cost the Lakers Dwight Howard, Carmelo Anthony, Paul George and others? 88