Thoughts and prayers with Kevin McHale and his family after the passing of their daughter

Nov 25, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT

Minnesota Timberwolves v New Orleans Hornets Getty Images

Rockets head coach Kevin McHale has been away from the team since November 12, spending time with his family while dealing with the serious illness of his daughter.

The organization announced today that she has passed away.

Sasha McHale, 23, lost her battle with lupus, according to the Star Tribune.

Here’s the official statement from team owner Leslie Alexander:

Houston Rockets Owner Leslie Alexander released the following statement regarding the passing of Head Coach Kevin McHale’s daughter, Alexandra “Sasha” McHale:

“I extend my deepest condolences to Kevin and Lynn for the loss of their beautiful daughter, Sasha, on Saturday afternoon.  Kevin and Lynn are loving and dedicated parents who will need our continued support throughout this very difficult time.  Our entire organization is mourning the McHale family’s loss and we ask that you keep them in your thoughts and prayers.”

Just awful news. We send our thoughts and prayers out to McHale and his family during this impossibly difficult time.

1. jimeejohnson - Nov 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM

Sad news indeed. My condolences to the family.

• saint1997 - Nov 25, 2012 at 11:21 PM

Who thumbs that down?

• slickdemetrius - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:42 PM

Just be glad there are more of us than there are of them. Until the day that the ratio flips, just remember they are immaterial in the grand scheme of things.

2. edwardemanuelson - Nov 25, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Horrible news for this legend and his family. Take time to heal, Coach. Deepest sympathies.

3. bleedburgandyandgold - Nov 25, 2012 at 12:59 PM

My condolences and prayers are with him and his family.

4. joshm5683 - Nov 25, 2012 at 1:16 PM

I can not imagine what it must be like to lose a child. More than sports above anything else, I hope his family can come together and get through this.

5. bigkevin6969 - Nov 25, 2012 at 1:19 PM

Thoughts and prayers

6. rj2323 - Nov 25, 2012 at 2:14 PM

My prayers are with his family sad sad news

7. svupper - Nov 25, 2012 at 2:17 PM

Can’t imagine the what the familiy is going trough.. My deepest condolences..

I wouldnt wish this for my worst enemy, so for those of you, who are giving the thumbs down.. I can honestly say from my heart, i hope you burn in hell!

• bils293 - Nov 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM

Seriously. How could anyone possibly read this and give it a thumbs down? I couldn’t even imagine losing a daughter at such a young age. Some people are heartless but they’ll eventually get what they deserve.

• bigmeechy74 - Nov 25, 2012 at 5:21 PM

You saying “I hope you burn in hell” is the exact reason some of the comments got thumbs down. I personally didn’t thumbs down anything but I know a lot of people get annoyed at “thoughts and PRAYERS” with the family especially if it’s in the title of the article. Because a lot of us don’t believe in prayer. Thoughts and condolences is more inclusive.

• johninpa - Nov 25, 2012 at 5:44 PM

I don’t believe in prayer either, but I gave them all thumbs up. Each and every one wishes the McHale family well, and isn’t that all that matters. We are all entitled to our beliefs, and shouldn’t condemn those that don’t match ours.

• bigmeechy74 - Nov 25, 2012 at 7:01 PM

Agreed but that’s not really how it works. We are all entitled to our beliefs, unless we don’t believe in god, then we are villified. I’m just saying that’s my theory of why some people hit “thumbs down.” They see the word “prayer” and react. Just a theory. But in actuality they are probably just being pricks.

• svupper - Nov 25, 2012 at 6:30 PM

Dude im not religious in any way.. So the “burn in hell” is just a saying..

Some people might not like McHale for some reason, or even if it’s because they dont like religion.

But a comment like “Sad news indeed. My condolences to the family.” right now got 19 thumbs down.. Why would anyone ever thumb down something like that?

So i guess what im trying to say is, that some people are just heartless bastards..

• bigmeechy74 - Nov 25, 2012 at 7:05 PM

Yeah man I have no clue why someone would click thumbs down on that. Heartless trolls I guess.

• 32stork - Nov 25, 2012 at 8:51 PM

So you have no respect for those who do believe in prayer? Have you no common decency. Please, go away and don’t re-visit these pages again.

• bigmeechy74 - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:27 PM

I guess you can’t read. I couldn’t care any less what you believe. You can pray to the flying spaghetti monster as far as I’m concerned. It’s just that some of us don’t want your beliefs shoved down our throats. Pray on your own time. You can do what you want but Why would I have to respect your prayer? If I told you I believed in the loch ness monster and bigfoot would you automatically respect me?

• bigmeechy74 - Nov 29, 2012 at 9:06 PM

Oh well I guess I’m not allowed to be on this site anymore since you kicked me out for stating my opinion. Just because I don’t believe in sending my thoughts to the imaginary daddy in the sky to change the course of reality then I should be kicked off. Ha!

• badintent - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:28 AM

Thumbs up , thumbs down !
        Enough Already !
        If you have decent feelings for anyone, please show respect in your own personal way for the McHale Family. If not, go be a lower class primate with your own kind.But not on this blog.

8. therealhtj - Nov 25, 2012 at 2:53 PM

It really is a sad world we live in that someone would thumbs down any of these condolence messages.

9. 00maltliquor - Nov 25, 2012 at 3:44 PM

Deepest, deepest condolences from the Cisneros family to the McHale family. What a tough thing to go through, she was so, so young.

I’m going through the same thing, I just lost my little sister, went to her funeral yesterday. She was only 26. Got hit by a teenage driver in a truck while walking home. Let me tell you, being surrounded by family and friends while trying to deal with such a tradegy is the best way to cope with the pain. I feel for you man. My prayers go out to you, Take as much time off as you need and be with your family.

To the people who are thumbing down the condolence messages: F you all, you SICK, ignorant P.O.S.’s!!
    Death comes to everybody, and when you cowards lose somebody you love, I want you to remember this and I pray to God others show you more compassion then you chumps put out.

• Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 26, 2012 at 6:02 PM

Condolences too to you and your family, malt. Death of a loved one is never an easy thing to bear.

• 00maltliquor - Nov 27, 2012 at 2:08 AM

Thank you Foul Dwimmerlaik. Surprised you are able to read my post. When I originally wrote it it got blocked for whatever reason. Thanks for your compassion.

10. fakedodgeviperguy - Nov 25, 2012 at 4:15 PM

when i was a kid, i always said live for the day. you can die any day. i hope she enjoyed her life and didn’t have pressure from family to perform in school beyond what was necessary. life is too short. no guarantees. no one knows what tomorrow will bring. and i hear constantly about retirement and saving a nest egg from ppl. are you kidding. you don’t even know what next month holds in store for you. no one does.

11. cordae - Nov 25, 2012 at 5:52 PM

Anonymity is a cowards best friend, thats the only reason they gave the comments thumbs down.

As a STRONG believer in prayer, my thoughts and prayers go out to the McHale family. I know one of my personal nightmares is burrying a child, because everyone knows it should be the other way around.

12. blueintown - Nov 25, 2012 at 5:56 PM

Maybe we should all stop calculating levels of feigned empathy based on number of thumbs up/down received.

13. richwizl - Nov 25, 2012 at 6:29 PM

Amen.

14. toosano - Nov 25, 2012 at 8:14 PM

PRAYERS going out.Yes, PRAYERS.

15. facebookuser111 - Nov 25, 2012 at 8:32 PM

You get thumbs down because nobody cares what you think about this. You just want to see your name on a message board.

16. voight444 - Nov 25, 2012 at 8:45 PM

My thoughts (and yes prayers) go out to the McHale family. To lose a child has to be the worst thing anyone can go though. I agree with the comment about burning in hell. Anyone who believes in God knows that hell exists. IOW, Hell is real. I feel sorry for people who are mean and evil. You are going to end up in hell. For eternity no less. Hope you enjoy it.

• bigmeechy74 - Nov 26, 2012 at 1:30 PM

LOL. Anyone that “believes” in god “knows” that Hell exists. That’s awesome that since you believe in something you know what happens when we die more than someone that doesn’t believe in something. That’s cool you have that power to know. I wish I knew what happened. But I’m just a regular human.

• jimeejohnson - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:57 PM

You could be lying.

• bigmeechy74 - Nov 26, 2012 at 8:54 PM

Btw, That’s the most rude, arrogant, and obnoxious thing I’ve ever read.

17. ambitoos - Nov 25, 2012 at 10:35 PM

I knew that he had left the team but had no idea why. RIP Sasha.

18. goldenrodenthockey - Nov 25, 2012 at 10:50 PM

Everyone’s agendas should take a back seat to what has happened-a life taken too soon. God bless the McHale family. Thumbs up/down doesn’t really matter…..

19. toosano - Nov 26, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Also praying for the people here that don’t believe in prayer! So pppffffftttt!

20. badintent - Nov 27, 2012 at 1:16 AM

When I stand on top of a 7000 foot cliff and look straight down before I go over the edge to ski it, I get some Buddha in me and pray to the wind and mountain gods to protect me(if they do exist). Try it, if you got the stones to ski that decent. When I get down , I pray for the safe return of our soldiers that go in harm’s way so we can live our way of life the way we chose.

21. jimeejohnson - Nov 28, 2012 at 8:56 PM

Thumbs downs on my posts are more aimed at me rather than those I am blogging about. No worries: blogging is not a popularity contest for me. Again, my deepest sympathy to the McHale family. Signed: west of I-5.

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches