Nov 25, 2012, 12:01 PM EDT
Rockets head coach Kevin McHale has been away from the team since November 12, spending time with his family while dealing with the serious illness of his daughter.
The organization announced today that she has passed away.
Sasha McHale, 23, lost her battle with lupus, according to the Star Tribune.
Here’s the official statement from team owner Leslie Alexander:
Houston Rockets Owner Leslie Alexander released the following statement regarding the passing of Head Coach Kevin McHale’s daughter, Alexandra “Sasha” McHale:
“I extend my deepest condolences to Kevin and Lynn for the loss of their beautiful daughter, Sasha, on Saturday afternoon. Kevin and Lynn are loving and dedicated parents who will need our continued support throughout this very difficult time. Our entire organization is mourning the McHale family’s loss and we ask that you keep them in your thoughts and prayers.”
Just awful news. We send our thoughts and prayers out to McHale and his family during this impossibly difficult time.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: Dwyane Wade is going to will Heat into playoffs 0
- Sad news: Craig Sager announces his cancer has returned 8
- NBA players’ union head believes new labor deal can be reached without a work stoppage 9
- Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion 20
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 25
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 43
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 22
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15