Nov 25, 2012, 1:31 PM EDT
Maybe the answer to the question “how are the Celtics going to replace Ray Allen?” was always there, we just didn’t expect it.
How about a little Paul Pierce.
If you’ve watched some Celtics games this season you have seen Pierce, a shot creator for most of his career, working more off the ball coming off picks. Chris Forsberg of ESPNBoston.com went to Synergy Sports and looked up the numbers.
This is the percentage of Pierce’s shots that came from him coming off a screen:
With that, the percentage of his shots that have come as a pure spot-up shooter and the shots he has had to create for himself in isolation are both at four-year lows.
Pierce also is scoring 1.02 points per possession coming off screens, which is a good number.
Pierce is not exactly 25 anymore, so the key is to get him good looks that he doesn’t (or in some ways can’t) get anymore the way he did for much of his career. Boston has found that, and while not Ray Allen numbers (35 percent of his shots came off screens last year) this is a great alternative.
- PBT Extra: Previewing Heat/Spurs NBA Finals Game 7 0
- Utah Jazz bring back Jerry Sloan as team consultant 3
- Celtics, Clippers restart Doc Rivers-Kevin Garnett trades talks at Chris Paul’s wish 9
- Chris Bosh to fans who left Game 6 early: ‘Don’t come back for Game 7′ 35
- Wade says left knee sore, swollen, but will play through it 16
- NBA Finals Game 6: Heat comeback in fourth, win in overtime to force Game 7 (125)
- If Spurs win, it is LeBron’s legacy that will take biggest hit (85)
- Lakers unlikely to sign and trade Dwight Howard to the Clippers, Rockets, or anyone else (81)
- Chris Bosh blocks Spurs’ Game 6 comeback attempt (video) (79)
- Heat’s Big Three dominate Game 4 to even the Finals at two games apiece (74)
- LIVE: Bruins-Blackhawks, Game 4
- Posnanski: How Heat won a game of mistakes
- PHT: Can Blackhawks solve Rask in Game 4?
- PFT: Report: Hernandez accused of prior shooting
- CSN: Report: Hernandez 'not ruled out' as suspect
- GTC: Tiger pulls out of AT&T citing elbow issue
- HBT: Biogenesis suspensions still likely coming
- Play Video: Bosh: 'We'll see who hits first'
- Play Video: Clippers, Celtics discussions 'can't be wrong'
- Play Video: Elliot looks ahead to Game 6
- Play Video: The Hype: How much would you pay to punch someone?
- Play Video: If Heat lose, 'all hell will break loose'
- Play Video: Green breaks NBA finals 3-point record