Nov 25, 2012, 11:00 AM EST
Pau Gasol found himself on the bench for the fourth quarter of Friday’s loss to the Grizzlies, thanks to a lethargic and uninspired effort that was evident to anyone who was watching. He complained about his lack of post touches afterward, and talked about how getting those touches would help him get into a rhythm where he’d be able to be more productive.
Gasol got those touches in Saturday’s destruction of the Mavericks, and indeed looked to be more energetic and engaged during his 13-point, nine-rebound performance. But if there are nights when Gasol doesn’t seem to be himself moving forward, we now know the reason may be due to something other than pouting over where he receives the ball.
Gasol was very active in the first quarter. He drilled a mid-range jumper, scored down low and hit a running left-handed hook shot over Chris Kaman.
He also had a revelation after the game. He has been battling knee tendinitis for over a month.
“It’s something that has been lingering since this preseason. I’ve been dealing with it the best I can,” he said.
The good news is that Gasol hasn’t missed practice or game time with the condition, so at this point, it isn’t too much of a cause for concern. What will help is keeping his minutes down, which is obviously much easier to do if the Lakers are rolling their opponents as they did Saturday night in Dallas.
- Kobe Bryant returning Sunday against Raptors 16
- Report: Rockets stepping up efforts to move Omer Asik 10
- Rumor: Carmelo Anthony recruiting Rajon Rondo to come to New York in 2015 17
- Report: Heat shopping Joel Anthony, seeking depth behind Wade 21
- LeBron not wearing new LeBron 11s, Nike “redefining” shoe for him 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (64)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (43)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (42)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (40)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (38)