Mavericks broadcaster disgusted with Kobe’s one-legged Dirk shot in Dallas (VIDEO)

Nov 25, 2012, 4:30 PM EDT

Kobe Bryant didn’t attempt a shot during the entire first quarter of the Lakers blowout win over the Mavericks on Saturday. When he did finally get a shot up early in the second, the fans in Dallas — or at least a member of the broadcast team — weren’t real happy with what they saw.

With 10:59 to play in the second period and L.A. already cruising up by 13, Bryant backs down O.J. Mayo to the elbow, before fading away with a one-legged shot attempt that missed off the front of the iron.

The play-by-play man immediately recognizes the homage to Dirk Nowitzki, who is still two or three weeks away from returning while recovering from knee surgery. The analyst saw it too, though he was clearly disgusted by the fact that Bryant would dare to take that shot while playing against Dirk’s Mavericks in Dallas.

“Don’t do that in here,” he said. “Don’t do that in this building.”

Funny stuff, although one could argue that the Lakers taking a lead of as many as 37 points in this one was far more disrespectful than Kobe’s Dirk-like shot.

1. cosanostra71 - Nov 25, 2012 at 4:38 PM

lol… so butthurt.

2. raidmagic - Nov 25, 2012 at 4:42 PM

AH HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

3. lakerluver - Nov 25, 2012 at 5:31 PM

So, any player that plays at the Staples can’t attempt a hook shot because it “belongs” to Kareem?!! That dude needs to realize the respect Kobe has for Dirk and just shut the phuk up! If its not that whining little rich boy owner popping off, it’s some idiot announcer! Dallas is full of crap! Enjoy your 1 title, you buncha “one hit wonders”!!
    Mamba out.

4. sydion - Nov 25, 2012 at 6:01 PM

so to that idiot Mavs announcer, no Maverick should EVER no look pass, skyhook, or wrap a pass behind their back. Stupid ass… Kobe has been upgrading his game for YEARS by incorporating new tricks into his bag… ie: the Dirk step back, going to Olajuwon in the off season and learning the Dream Shake, etc…. that’s what GREAT players do… they take from other greats and put it to use in their own games

5. waiting4asuperbowl - Nov 25, 2012 at 6:04 PM

Ok dude get over yourself. What a baby!! If dirk was only a quarter of the player kobe has been! Maybe he should be more disgusted by being blown out by the lakers. Ha

6. BigBeachBall - Nov 25, 2012 at 7:03 PM

Its personal now…

7. joshm5683 - Nov 25, 2012 at 7:08 PM

I like how 1 of them prior was saying how old Dwight Howard was looking…….I guess they kinda overlooked the part where he ate up everything in the paint all night, not just blocking shots but altering them as well……….and I’m also sure that after this season Cuban will make a hard push to convince the old Howard to come to Dallas

8. damnyankee13 - Nov 25, 2012 at 7:14 PM

that announcer is a jerk

9. mytthor - Nov 25, 2012 at 7:17 PM

I don’t know if this is just me being a Laker fan, but I feel that Joel and Stu (and Chick back in the day) are a lot more objective than most home announcers. I mean they want the Lakers to win of course, but if a Laker commits a foul and doesn’t get called for it, they’ll say so. Most home announcers are RIDICULOUS about that kind of thing, when I watch games on NBATV and you get the home guys of whichever team.

• teambringitstrong - Nov 25, 2012 at 7:57 PM

I agree with you 100%. Even on the Lakers Radio Network, they call it like they see it. Its one of the things that made me a Laker fan since the 70s listening to Chick Hearn on the transistor radio all the way in the Bay Area.

• cosanostra71 - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:06 AM

We have been lucky to have great announcers for many years.

• gostlcards5 - Nov 28, 2012 at 1:37 PM

I agree with you. That is one thing that I like about the Pacers radio announcers, Mark Boyle and Bobby “Slick” Leonard (especially Slick). Clearly, they root for the Pacers, but they tell what happens on the court objectively. If either team gets away with something or gets screwed by a call (I guess both usually happen at the same time), they tell it.

10. tigershark49 - Nov 25, 2012 at 8:24 PM

Go Lakers! Nice balanced attack and domination! Those usually go together.

11. twreck13 - Nov 25, 2012 at 9:53 PM

This couldn’t be more taken out of context! Disgusted????? Are you kidding me he’s joking!

12. misterdreamer119 - Nov 25, 2012 at 11:44 PM

Chic hearns was the best ever. He was funny, smooth, strong.

13. sportsnut101 - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:01 AM

Maybe David stern should fine him for takin shot at Kobe.

Maybe the players should ask what’s shots are ok to shoot

This guy is an idiot

14. Foul Dwimmerlaik - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:27 AM

Get the context first.

Much ado about nothing.

Next please. *yawn*

15. charlescub80 - Nov 26, 2012 at 8:15 AM

This is a story if it was made by the lakers announcer. This was a homer call. Move on….

16. omniusprime - Nov 26, 2012 at 8:57 AM

What a jerky boy announcer, but then what else could we expect from an announcer from Dallas. What a little crybaby not wanting Kobe to take a shot that looks like one Dirk uses. Grow up little announcer boy. He should have been whining at how pathetic his Mavs team played. Go Kobe!!! Go Lakers!!!

17. 24thesho - Nov 26, 2012 at 10:14 AM

Kobe can do whatever he wants. Is it 4 or 5 championships? I can’t remember. How many did Dirk win, again? Dirk can’t even carry Kobe’s water. Don’t get it twisted, Mr. Announcer.

18. aboogy123456 - Nov 26, 2012 at 12:21 PM

Stupid Mavs announcer, take it as a sign of respect that Kobe does that move. Kobe is always learning, and he takes bits and pieces from the great basketball players to add to his game. The dirk jumpshot allows you to get off a shot sooner so it’s harder to block. Kobe incorporated it into his game last year actually, and if the mavs announcer watched basketball he would know that.

Also as mentioned by other posters, Stu Lantz is the best. I always learn a little bit more about basketball when I listen to him, unlike some of the other obviously bias announcers.

19. namriverrat69 - Nov 27, 2012 at 11:30 PM

I like that fact that the announcer is so well known he doesn’t have a name. Someday when his feet reach the floor perhaps he’ll be more well known.

I’m a Laker fan but I enjoy Mark Cuban’s dedication and the energy he puts into his team while running his businesses. Cuban’s outspoken but only out of desire to win. He’s not always right but who is? He should be an example to most (I said most) other owners who just sit back and count their money and never win anything.

I respect him a whole lot more than Jim Buss.

He’s enjoyable on Shark Tank too!

20. paulwoodsby - Nov 28, 2012 at 2:37 AM

I’ve heard of players having “patented” moves but this just goes to far.

Heat can make playoffs without LeBron
Top 10 NBA Player Searches