Nov 24, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
In the third quarter of the Knicks blowout loss in Houston on Friday, Tyson Chandler appeared to let his frustration get the best of him.
After Omer Asik is called for an over-the-back foul while fighting Chandler for a rebound, Chandler clearly (and deliberately) swings his elbow at Asik, and hits him directly in the throat.
This was tough to see in real time, so credit the official with catching Chandler in the act as it happened. But the fact that this was ruled a flagrant-one, which allowed Chandler to stay in the game, was a mistake.
The (somewhat hysterical) Rockets announcers were correct in stating that swinging an elbow at an opponent above the shoulders is an automatic ejection, according to NBA rules.
We’ll see if this warrants any additional punishment in the form of a fine or suspension for Chandler; after seeing the elbow connect on the replay, it’s definitely a consideration.
- Spurs reset franchise for post Tim Duncan life in one impressive week 3
- Report: Lakers ‘actively discussing’ trade for Roy Hibbert with Pacers 22
- LaMarcus Aldridge has chosen to sign with Spurs 78
- Who should Clippers get to replace DeAndre Jordan? How about Blake Griffin. 42
- Report: Tobias Harris reaches four-year, $64 million extension to stay with Orlando 25
- Report: Rajon Rondo agrees to one-year, $9.5 million deal with Sacramento Kings 47
- Report: DeAndre Jordan agrees to four-year, $80 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 57
- Report: Kings signing Marco Belinelli to three-year, $19 million contract 19