Nov 24, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
In the third quarter of the Knicks blowout loss in Houston on Friday, Tyson Chandler appeared to let his frustration get the best of him.
After Omer Asik is called for an over-the-back foul while fighting Chandler for a rebound, Chandler clearly (and deliberately) swings his elbow at Asik, and hits him directly in the throat.
This was tough to see in real time, so credit the official with catching Chandler in the act as it happened. But the fact that this was ruled a flagrant-one, which allowed Chandler to stay in the game, was a mistake.
The (somewhat hysterical) Rockets announcers were correct in stating that swinging an elbow at an opponent above the shoulders is an automatic ejection, according to NBA rules.
We’ll see if this warrants any additional punishment in the form of a fine or suspension for Chandler; after seeing the elbow connect on the replay, it’s definitely a consideration.
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 5
- Kendrick Perkins: Rajon Rondo wanted out of Boston 7
- Report: Minnesota agrees to trade Corey Brewer to Houston 6
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 42
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 5
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 39