Nov 24, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
In the third quarter of the Knicks blowout loss in Houston on Friday, Tyson Chandler appeared to let his frustration get the best of him.
After Omer Asik is called for an over-the-back foul while fighting Chandler for a rebound, Chandler clearly (and deliberately) swings his elbow at Asik, and hits him directly in the throat.
This was tough to see in real time, so credit the official with catching Chandler in the act as it happened. But the fact that this was ruled a flagrant-one, which allowed Chandler to stay in the game, was a mistake.
The (somewhat hysterical) Rockets announcers were correct in stating that swinging an elbow at an opponent above the shoulders is an automatic ejection, according to NBA rules.
We’ll see if this warrants any additional punishment in the form of a fine or suspension for Chandler; after seeing the elbow connect on the replay, it’s definitely a consideration.
- Anthony Davis steps into spotlight, is Team USA’s lynchpin 5
- Referee Violet Palmer comes out publicly as gay 22
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 71
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 53
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 29
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 59
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4