Nov 24, 2012, 7:30 PM EST
In the third quarter of the Knicks blowout loss in Houston on Friday, Tyson Chandler appeared to let his frustration get the best of him.
After Omer Asik is called for an over-the-back foul while fighting Chandler for a rebound, Chandler clearly (and deliberately) swings his elbow at Asik, and hits him directly in the throat.
This was tough to see in real time, so credit the official with catching Chandler in the act as it happened. But the fact that this was ruled a flagrant-one, which allowed Chandler to stay in the game, was a mistake.
The (somewhat hysterical) Rockets announcers were correct in stating that swinging an elbow at an opponent above the shoulders is an automatic ejection, according to NBA rules.
We’ll see if this warrants any additional punishment in the form of a fine or suspension for Chandler; after seeing the elbow connect on the replay, it’s definitely a consideration.
- Sources: Kings prefer George Karl, not serious about hiring Mark Jackson 8
- Nuggets Danilo Gallinari has meniscus tear in right knee, out three weeks after surgery 5
- Rajon Rondo was very Rondoesque in debut with Mavericks (VIDEO) 19
- Report: Kings discussing trade for Deron Williams with Nets 12
- Report: Multiple teams contacting Suns trying to trade for Goran Dragic 10
- Clippers rip officials after being called for seven technical fouls in loss to Nuggets 18
- Jeremy Lin after Kobe misses at the buzzer: ‘I like game-winners too’ 60
- Damian Lillard drops career high 43, leads Blazers to 3OT win over Spurs (VIDEO) 8