Nov 24, 2012, 7:30 PM EDT
In the third quarter of the Knicks blowout loss in Houston on Friday, Tyson Chandler appeared to let his frustration get the best of him.
After Omer Asik is called for an over-the-back foul while fighting Chandler for a rebound, Chandler clearly (and deliberately) swings his elbow at Asik, and hits him directly in the throat.
This was tough to see in real time, so credit the official with catching Chandler in the act as it happened. But the fact that this was ruled a flagrant-one, which allowed Chandler to stay in the game, was a mistake.
The (somewhat hysterical) Rockets announcers were correct in stating that swinging an elbow at an opponent above the shoulders is an automatic ejection, according to NBA rules.
We’ll see if this warrants any additional punishment in the form of a fine or suspension for Chandler; after seeing the elbow connect on the replay, it’s definitely a consideration.
- Report: Rajon Rondo wants to start season with Celtics, see how things unfold 8
- Rajon Rondo’s agent denies they asked Celtics for a trade 13
- Team USA trails at the half, then pulls away for 98-77 win over Turkey at FIBA World Cup 19
- Report: Nike nearing deal to keep Kevin Durant for next 10 years 20
- Report: Rajon Rondo has told Celtics ‘he wants out’ 68
- World Cup Day 1 roundup: Brazil with big win, Andray Blatche puts on a show 5
- USA cruises past Finland in World Cup opener, 114-55 18
- James Harden on Kobe Bryant return: “He’s 20-year-old Kobe” 34