Nov 24, 2012, 9:01 AM EDT
If you just look at the raw numbers, Kevin Love had a good night in Portland: 24 points and 13 rebounds. Right at the kind of numbers he put up last year as an All-Star.
But this wasn’t an efficient Love leading his team (the Timberwolves lost to the Trail Blazers and a red hot Damian Lillard) — Love was 6-of-15 shooting overall and just 2-of-7 near the rim (according to NBA.com’s stats).
And after the game Love was the first to admit he’s not all the way back in an exclusive interview with Comcast Sportsnet Northwest via CSNNW.com.
“(I’m) not too close (to 100 percent). Still got a ways to go conditioning wise, still need to get my legs, and my hand back, too,” Love said. “I was originally scheduled for eight weeks and I came back in five, so the ball just doesn’t feel right in my hand yet and I mentioned being in shape, too, that goes a long way. There’s just nothing that can replicate getting out there and playing.”
About playing with the brace on his hand…
“It’s just not the same but more than anything just not getting the practice in and not being able to really get a rhythm out there and get into the flow of the offense with the guys that’s the toughest thing. It’s just a number of things that need to come together for myself and also the entire team, because we have the makings to be a pretty good team.”
They do have the makings, and getting Ricky Rubio back next month will help with that.
But in the short term the Timberwolves have lost four in a row and need more from Love, and particularly more from their guard play (remember Brandon Roy is out, too, so they are going with Luke Ridnour, Michael Lee, with J.J. Barea and Alexey Shved off the bench). They have to stay in the playoff hunt until they figure out how to be a pretty good team.
- Lakers make it official — finally — and hire Byron Scott as head coach 5
- Derrick Rose: “I’ve become a smarter player, but I’m mad it took me seven years to learn it.” 18
- Shelly Sterling beats Donald Sterling in court, clears sale of Clippers to Steve Ballmer 53
- Report: Timberwolves have talked to Sixers about Thaddeus Young as Kevin Love replacement 25
- All eyes on Derrick Rose as USA Basketball mini-camp begins 22
- Klay Thompson doesn’t anticipate being traded, says he expects to play with Warriors next season 8
- PBT Power Rankings: After summer shakeups, Spurs still team to beat 47
- Report: ‘No chance’ Kevin Love stays with Timberwolves 65