Nov 24, 2012, 9:01 AM EST
If you just look at the raw numbers, Kevin Love had a good night in Portland: 24 points and 13 rebounds. Right at the kind of numbers he put up last year as an All-Star.
But this wasn’t an efficient Love leading his team (the Timberwolves lost to the Trail Blazers and a red hot Damian Lillard) — Love was 6-of-15 shooting overall and just 2-of-7 near the rim (according to NBA.com’s stats).
And after the game Love was the first to admit he’s not all the way back in an exclusive interview with Comcast Sportsnet Northwest via CSNNW.com.
“(I’m) not too close (to 100 percent). Still got a ways to go conditioning wise, still need to get my legs, and my hand back, too,” Love said. “I was originally scheduled for eight weeks and I came back in five, so the ball just doesn’t feel right in my hand yet and I mentioned being in shape, too, that goes a long way. There’s just nothing that can replicate getting out there and playing.”
About playing with the brace on his hand…
“It’s just not the same but more than anything just not getting the practice in and not being able to really get a rhythm out there and get into the flow of the offense with the guys that’s the toughest thing. It’s just a number of things that need to come together for myself and also the entire team, because we have the makings to be a pretty good team.”
They do have the makings, and getting Ricky Rubio back next month will help with that.
But in the short term the Timberwolves have lost four in a row and need more from Love, and particularly more from their guard play (remember Brandon Roy is out, too, so they are going with Luke Ridnour, Michael Lee, with J.J. Barea and Alexey Shved off the bench). They have to stay in the playoff hunt until they figure out how to be a pretty good team.
- PBT Podcast: Damian Lillard can’t miss, plus Iguodala return 0
- The Extra Pass: The Spurs’ Hammer set; plus Tuesday’s recaps 1
- Tuesday night NBA grades: Damian Lillard is clutch 2
- Nuggets Jordan Hamilton ejected for striking Thunder’s Steven Adams (VIDEO) 7
- Asik trade update: Atlanta, Boston, Cleveland and Philadelphia most likely destinations 10
- NFL legend Jim Brown takes shot at Kobe Bryant, Kobe fires back (104)
- Report: Heat have interest in Celtics’ Jordan Crawford (50)
- Deserving or not Kobe Bryant, Dwyane Wade among All-Star starters in early voting returns (48)
- Pau Gasol expresses frustration with D’Antoni offense. Lakers have to think trade. (46)
- Mike D’Antoni to Pau Gasol: “There’s no reason to not play hard” (45)