Raymond Felton tired of Jeremy Lin comparisons

Nov 23, 2012, 1:42 PM EDT

Jeremy Lin AP

The Knicks play the Rockets Friday night, and the matchup will mark the first time that Jeremy Lin will face his former team after making a name for himself in New York during the incredible but brief “Linsanity” run last season.

When the Knicks didn’t match Houston’s free agent offer to Lin, and ended up with Raymond Felton as a replacement, there were plenty of questions as to how the organization could possibly let that happen.

But now, 10 games into the season, and with the Knicks off to a better-than-expected 8-2 start, the regret over that decision has essentially disappeared.

Still, as the Knicks prepare to face Lin for the first time, the comparisons between his game and that of Felton’s continue. And Felton seems to be tiring of it.

From Nate Taylor of the New York Times:

Felton is 28, four years older than Lin, but more significantly has a greater body of work in the N.B.A. In his eighth season, he has played in 544 regular-season games to Lin’s 76, and he took note of that disparity when he was asked about Lin on Wednesday night.

“I don’t see how anybody can compare us,” he said. “I’ve been in this league much longer. He had a great run last year, one of the best I’ve ever seen. I’m glad he got his money. But to compare me and him is wrong.”

To drive home the point, Felton said he could “care less” about how Lin was playing in Houston. “I don’t even follow what he does,” he said.

Felton is flourishing in New York this season, while Lin has been struggling to make it work in Houston. He was benched down the stretch of the Rockets come-from-behind win over the Bulls on Wednesday, and is shooting just over 33 percent from the field on the season.

Linsanity appears to be a thing of the past, and that’s clearly where Felton would like it to stay. Of course, all it will take is for Lin to go off against the Knicks for the hype machine to get fired up to maximum levels once again.

1. doctorfootball - Nov 23, 2012 at 1:53 PM

One is an above average point guard who can pass, score and defend. And the other is Jeremy Lin. Right now Lin is passing the ball well, but his defense and scoring are horrendous. Even his own coach limits his minutes in the 4th quarter because he’s hurting the team. He’s getting paid like a star but playing like a backup.

2. thomaskouns - Nov 23, 2012 at 2:26 PM

Never seen a player get so much ‘dish’ from other players.

It was a 27 million contract he got. I could list a hundred other contracts where the current player isn’t earning half of his salary and many of those contracts are for a lot more money and years.

• LPad - Nov 23, 2012 at 2:49 PM

I don’t think it has more to do with the media than the players. For the past week the Knick players are constantly getting asked loaded questions about Lin. Stuff like: do you think Lin is earning his contract? how do you feel that Lin makes more money than you?

I actually think the Knicks are doing a good job of answering these questions especially when saying “no comment” gets interpreted as you have a problem with Lin.

3. misterdreamer119 - Nov 23, 2012 at 2:42 PM

Boy lin is getting dissed. By everyone.

4. eflem80 - Nov 23, 2012 at 3:15 PM

Smartest move the Knicks ever made since drafting Patrick Ewing is not buying into the media hype & over paying this kid. Basically got Brewer & Felton for what he alone would’ve cost them.

5. 00maltliquor - Nov 23, 2012 at 3:38 PM

Wasn’t even aware there was a compairison to be made between the two.

• nokoolaidcowboy - Nov 23, 2012 at 4:14 PM

Agree. I was wondering where that was coming from. Knicks have other things to focus on like maintaining this level of consistency.

6. badintent - Nov 23, 2012 at 4:13 PM

Lin got paid, Ray got in shape, hope Knicks win and Lin Kobe38s Ray.

• badintent - Nov 24, 2012 at 2:21 AM

Rockets smackdown on Knicks tonight. Guess I’m right again about Lin. Sucks being so smart.

7. eugenesaxe - Nov 23, 2012 at 5:02 PM

First I’ve heard of any comparisons.
    One has 8 years in the league, and attitude/conditioning problems.
    One doesn’t, plus has a whole country following him. Plus pays for himself with increased media exposure/merchandising.

• phaden27 - Nov 23, 2012 at 6:54 PM

One’s playing for a nearly undefeated team.
      The other looks like the second coming of Smush Parker.
      Marketing tends to go down the drain when you prove you aren’t worth your contract.

• badintent - Nov 24, 2012 at 2:24 AM

Not in China it don’t.Dats when you are Lin and where the Phat $$$$$ be. Plus $5 million/yr gets you a palace in Houston, only a 2 bed condo in Hell’s Kitchen NYC.

• phaden27 - Nov 24, 2012 at 11:24 AM

Fair point Bad, I guess I was talking about relevancy in the NBA, but you are correct, in Asian countries he has instant hero status.

• badintent - Nov 25, 2012 at 1:43 AM

watch out for lakerluver, the dude has over 3 names and counting. ! I got my home $$ info on the Home Channel, I got no choice but to watch, outvoted 2-1 by the ladies on that show.

8. sportsnut101 - Nov 24, 2012 at 1:21 AM

It’s the media hyping this stuff up

If I was any Knicks player I would just say do u have any questions about Knicks players or our team

9. paulwoodsby - Nov 24, 2012 at 3:42 AM

I never thought I’d defend Lin but Felton is an arrogant punk that thinks he’s much better than he is. “Raysanity” won’t even last as long as “Linsanity”.

Why can't Lakers have a player-coach?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches