Nov 23, 2012, 3:24 AM EDT
Nobody really expected the Detroit Pistons to be all that good this year — this is a rebuilding team trying to grow and see what they really have with players like Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight, Kyle Singler, Andre Drummond and more.
But they haven’t lived up to even those low expectations — they are bottom seven in the league in offensive and defensive efficiency, and after starting the season 0-8 their next two losses came to the lowly Orlando Magic (they gave up a 21-0 run to the Magic in the second game of that series).
Coach Lawrence Frank is playing around with his rotations trying to find something that works, but all that experimentation has players frustrated. Look at what Will Bynum told the Detroit Free Press.
“I’m having to adjust to everybody. I’m playing with so many different people. First I go from not playing with (Rodney) Stuckey to playing with Stuckey every day. I go from playing with Kyle all the time to never playing with Kyle. I’m playing with Tayshaun (Prince). Early on I was playing with Brandon (Knight) and I never played with him in two years since I’ve been here. It’s all over the place right now.”
Veteran Tayshaun Prince was a little more guarded and talked about the Magic’s 21-0 run, but you guess what he is saying.
“Energy ain’t the only thing,” Prince said. “That isn’t my decision, but we need to figure out some things to do when teams are making runs to get us a good opportunity at the rim or the foul line.”
Joe Dumars and the Detroit front office have to be asking themselves if Lawrence Frank is the guy who can help this team through rebuilding. Because the players seem to be asking that.
- Report: Knicks made (ridiculous) offer to trade for Kevin Love 31
- Report: Lakers finally offer coaching position to Byron Scott, deal expected soon 24
- Report: Cavaliers leading Kevin Love-trade sweepstakes 41
- Chris Paul on boycott if Sterling is still owner: “That’s something me and Doc are both talking about” 31
- Players union approves of Thunder’s Josh Huestis arrangement 15
- Cavaliers officially sign Andrew Wiggins, putting 30-day hold on him being traded 58
- Lakers deny rumor they are waiting around for Doc Rivers to be coach 61
- James Harden: “Dwight and I are the cornerstones of the Rockets. The rest of the guys are role players.” 91