Nov 23, 2012, 3:24 AM EDT
Nobody really expected the Detroit Pistons to be all that good this year — this is a rebuilding team trying to grow and see what they really have with players like Greg Monroe, Brandon Knight, Kyle Singler, Andre Drummond and more.
But they haven’t lived up to even those low expectations — they are bottom seven in the league in offensive and defensive efficiency, and after starting the season 0-8 their next two losses came to the lowly Orlando Magic (they gave up a 21-0 run to the Magic in the second game of that series).
Coach Lawrence Frank is playing around with his rotations trying to find something that works, but all that experimentation has players frustrated. Look at what Will Bynum told the Detroit Free Press.
“I’m having to adjust to everybody. I’m playing with so many different people. First I go from not playing with (Rodney) Stuckey to playing with Stuckey every day. I go from playing with Kyle all the time to never playing with Kyle. I’m playing with Tayshaun (Prince). Early on I was playing with Brandon (Knight) and I never played with him in two years since I’ve been here. It’s all over the place right now.”
Veteran Tayshaun Prince was a little more guarded and talked about the Magic’s 21-0 run, but you guess what he is saying.
“Energy ain’t the only thing,” Prince said. “That isn’t my decision, but we need to figure out some things to do when teams are making runs to get us a good opportunity at the rim or the foul line.”
Joe Dumars and the Detroit front office have to be asking themselves if Lawrence Frank is the guy who can help this team through rebuilding. Because the players seem to be asking that.
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 27
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 34
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 13
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 6
- Kevin Durant knows you’re talking about his free agency but isn’t giving many clues. He liked what LeBron did. 16
- Byron Scott makes ridiculous optimism sound reasonable 43
- Derrick Rose told Carmelo Anthony that if he came to Chicago “the game would be easy” 42