Nov 23, 2012, 11:36 AM EDT
Bringing the ball up and having me kind of initiate the offense and score and stuff like that, it’s making me work a little more than I will when Gatsby gets back… When Gatsby gets back, I don’t have to do that. The game’s going to become even more easy for me.”
Gatsby would be Nash, sidelined until at least Monday because of a small fracture in his left leg.
Steve Nash = Gatsby.
I like it.
The question is why Gatsby for Steve Nash? Is it because of:
• Nash’s haircut?
• Nash’s rise from poverty to riches and fame through a life of crime, just like Jay Gatsby?
• That Nash, like Gatsby, represents a hollow version of the American Dream… even though he’s Canadian?
• Because he’s Canadian and Kobe just is confused about F. Scott Fitzgerald’s work?
• Nash’s lavish, opulent, high-society parties?
• Nash’s all-encompassing focus to win Daisy back?
• My favorite: Because Nash’s offensive game of deception and control to achieve his ends mirrors Gatsby’s illusion of sophistication and persona of mystery to achieve a far more basic goal?
Nah, it’s probably just the haircut.
- The Al Jefferson Effect: Now that the Bobcats are playoff-bound, how they want their big man to help next 4
- 2014 PBT Awards: Coach of the Year 21
- Carmelo Anthony: “I want to come back…I also want to win.” 33
- Kobe tells Lakers’ fans to “flush” last season, has been cleared to run, shoot, prepare for next season 46
- Duke’s Jabari Parker says he will enter NBA Draft 35