Jeff Green finally to face former team… and he yawns

Nov 23, 2012, 10:42 AM EST

Jeff Green, Al Jefferson AP

Last January, when Kendrick Perkins faced the Celtics for the first time since they traded him away, Jeff Green was home. Recovering from heart surgery, which was a pretty good excuse to skip the game.

But that changes Friday when Green takes on the team that moved him in a still-controversial 2010 deadline deal when Oklahoma City visits Boston. Green had at one point been thought of as part of the indispensable young core of the improving Thunder, but that front office started to see things differently — they rightfully liked James Harden more — and decided to move him for a piece they needed.

Now Green finally faces his former team and… and Green don’t really seem to care. At least he is playing it that way. Look at what he told the Boston Herald.

“Do I still look at what Oklahoma City does? No,” a nearly expressionless Green said….

“I mean, I’m in a great situation here. This is a great fit for myself, coming to a situation where I’m playing alongside Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo. I was happy.”

And when asked about Perkins, he’s a fountain of compliments.

“He’s a good guy, and I respect him. He’s an awesome big. To me, he’s one of the best bigs in the game, because he plays both ends hard — and that’s what I like. I respect him for that. We had a chance to shoot the (expletive) a little bit. We talked about how people reacted to the trade and some other stuff. That’s about it.”

We’ll see if that’s how it goes when the game starts tonight. This has the potential to be interesting.

On one side, the Thunder have occasionally made the switch for a few plays this season to have Perkins cover the opposing point guard — a tactic used to throw the other team off guard. Perkins hounding Rondo for a couple possessions would be fun to watch.

On the other bench, Garnett has wanted Green to play with more fire this season — 7.9 points per game on 42.7 percent shooting with spotty defense is not what Boston expected — but they are only getting that in spurts. You would think this matchup would bring that out of him… but maybe not.

Maybe time has mellowed what should have been a rivalry-like moment. Or maybe that’s just not Green.

Latest Posts
  1. Anthony Davis out Friday night vs. Clippers due to abdominal strain

Jan 30, 2015, 6:56 PM EST

Anthony Davis Anthony Davis

This is not a serious injury, but they will miss him defending Blake Griffin.

2. Rumor: Heat, Clippers, Cavaliers interested in Mo Williams

Jan 30, 2015, 5:59 PM EST

Mo Williams AP

All of those teams could use point guard depth.

3. Jimmy Butler even plans to play defense in the All-Star Game

Jan 30, 2015, 4:29 PM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“So if you see me diving on the floor and people say ‘what is he doing?’ I can’t help but be the player that I am.” —Jimmy Butler on playing in the All-Star Game

4. LeBron James reportedly asked Adam Silver for longer All-Star break, fewer back-to-backs

Jan 30, 2015, 2:09 PM EST

2012 Sports Illustrated Sportsman Of The Year Award Presentation - Arrivals Getty Images

NBA Commissioner has delivered on All-Star Break. Back-to-backs next?

5. Tyson Chandler, better than ever, thinking legacy

Jan 30, 2015, 12:49 PM EST

Dallas Mavericks v New Orleans Pelicans Getty Images

Will center stick with Mavericks this time?

6. Mike Dunleavy is smooooth

Jan 30, 2015, 12:11 PM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Sliding into your DMs like…

7. DeMarcus Cousins wins.

Jan 30, 2015, 11:33 AM EST

Kings center waits five years, burns Clay Travis for tweet

8. Kobe Bryant on if he returns next season: “Yeah, that’s the plan”

Jan 30, 2015, 9:34 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

Did anyone think he would get injured and say, “nah, I don’t want to fight through this” and walk away?

9. Report: Magic close to firing Jacque Vaughn

Jan 30, 2015, 8:37 AM EST

Orlando Magic v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Already facing scrutiny, Vaughn oversaw 15-point loss to Bucks last night

10. One day after having surgery, Kobe Bryant came to see Pau Gasol

Jan 30, 2015, 2:48 AM EST

BKN-NBA-BULLS-LAKERS Getty Images

“I really appreciate him coming, I didn’t expect it at all.” —Pau Gasol

Who should be All-Star Game reserves?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches