Jeff Green finally to face former team… and he yawns

Nov 23, 2012, 10:42 AM EDT

Jeff Green, Al Jefferson AP

Last January, when Kendrick Perkins faced the Celtics for the first time since they traded him away, Jeff Green was home. Recovering from heart surgery, which was a pretty good excuse to skip the game.

But that changes Friday when Green takes on the team that moved him in a still-controversial 2010 deadline deal when Oklahoma City visits Boston. Green had at one point been thought of as part of the indispensable young core of the improving Thunder, but that front office started to see things differently — they rightfully liked James Harden more — and decided to move him for a piece they needed.

Now Green finally faces his former team and… and Green don’t really seem to care. At least he is playing it that way. Look at what he told the Boston Herald.

“Do I still look at what Oklahoma City does? No,” a nearly expressionless Green said….

“I mean, I’m in a great situation here. This is a great fit for myself, coming to a situation where I’m playing alongside Kevin Garnett, Paul Pierce, Rajon Rondo. I was happy.”

And when asked about Perkins, he’s a fountain of compliments.

“He’s a good guy, and I respect him. He’s an awesome big. To me, he’s one of the best bigs in the game, because he plays both ends hard — and that’s what I like. I respect him for that. We had a chance to shoot the (expletive) a little bit. We talked about how people reacted to the trade and some other stuff. That’s about it.”

We’ll see if that’s how it goes when the game starts tonight. This has the potential to be interesting.

On one side, the Thunder have occasionally made the switch for a few plays this season to have Perkins cover the opposing point guard — a tactic used to throw the other team off guard. Perkins hounding Rondo for a couple possessions would be fun to watch.

On the other bench, Garnett has wanted Green to play with more fire this season — 7.9 points per game on 42.7 percent shooting with spotty defense is not what Boston expected — but they are only getting that in spurts. You would think this matchup would bring that out of him… but maybe not.

Maybe time has mellowed what should have been a rivalry-like moment. Or maybe that’s just not Green.

Latest Posts
  1. Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire”

Aug 3, 2015, 12:50 PM EDT

Ray Allen AP

“I didn’t miss it. I realized how much time I missed not being home with my kids.” —Ray Allen on last season

2. Report: Kings have no interest in Hedo Turkoglu

Aug 3, 2015, 9:55 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Los Angeles Clippers Getty Images

The Kings were never a likely landing spot.

3. Report: 76ers to sign Jordan McRae a year after stashing him

Aug 3, 2015, 8:30 AM EDT

Philadelphia 76ers v Utah Jazz Getty Images

What will J.P. Tokoto, future Philadelphia second-rounders think of McRae’s contract?

4. Timberwolves coach Flip Sauders returns to Twitter to say he loves three pointers

Aug 3, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Flip Saunders AP

The Timberwolves roster doesn’t have a lot of quality three point shooters on it.

5. Magic guarantee Dewayne Dedmon’s contract

Aug 3, 2015, 12:01 AM EDT

Orlando Magic v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Orlando keeps backup center on minimum contract

6. With Nikola Pekovic still hurt, Flip Saunders says Karl-Anthony Towns could start. Or Gorgui Dieng.

Aug 2, 2015, 9:32 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjotqwyyznpwu3mmzjztazntu1ogzhywnkzju2otmyzgnloty5otbl1 AP

Saunders has a versatile front line, but does he have enough shooting to give them room to operate?

7. Michael Jordan (and a kid) beat Jimmy Butler in shooting contest (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:50 PM EDT

Jordan will gloat about this to Butler for years.

8. Mavericks officially sign Summer League standout, No. 21 pick Justin Anderson

Aug 2, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Dallas Mavericks v Los Angeles Lakers Getty Images

It’s a standard rookie contract for a first-round pick.

9. Former NBA All-Star Bob Kauffman dies at age 69

Aug 2, 2015, 11:00 AM EDT

Spaulding NBA basketball Getty Images

He was a star with the Buffalo Braves (the franchise that is now the L.A. Clippers).

10. Giannis Antetokounmpo was confused when Anthony Davis talked smack, called him “kid”

Aug 2, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

New Orleans Pelicans v Milwaukee Bucks Getty Images

“Dude, what are you talking about? You’re only a year older than me!” — Giannis Antetokounmpo on Anthony Davis calling him “kid.”

11. Jahlil Okafor helps one kid dunk, brutally blocks another (VIDEO)

Aug 2, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Jahlil Okafor Jahlil Okafor

Okafor is getting acquainted with his young fans in Philadelphia.

12. Clippers waive Jordan Hamilton

Aug 1, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT

Jordan Hamilton Jordan Hamilton

Hamilton played 14 games with the Clippers last season.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches