Nov 23, 2012, 12:59 PM EST
Chris Bosh doesn’t care what numbers you think he should hit.
Before last season Bosh predicted he would grab 10 rebounds a game, he grabbed jus 7.9. The Heat won the NBA title. Bosh will make that trade any day of the week.
So this season he isn’t worrying about the numbers, it’s the flow and the winning he is looking at, Bosh told Chris Tomasson of Fox Sports Florida.
“Yeah,’’ Bosh said about leaving his soothsayer ways behind. “Everybody prints, ‘Oh, Chris Bosh says going to (do this).’ I said one year in Toronto I’d love to average (a certain number) in blocks and steals, and it got printed. I’d rather just not even worry about it. Worry about the game, and if it happens, it happens.’’
As for getting 10 boards a game….
“When you have me and (Udonis Haslem), Dwyane (Wade) and LeBron (James) on the court, not only do you have to compete with other guys, but you have to compete with your teammates too,’’ Bosh said. “That kind of divides the numbers up a little bit.’’
In reality, Bosh is having his best rebounding year — and his best season overall — since joining the Heat. He is averaging 8.2 rebounds a game, which is right in line with his numbers since coming to Miami, but he is grabbing 14.6 percent of the available rebounds when he is on the floor and that is a small bump from the 13.5 percent of last season. What’s more, he’s shooting 56.1 percent (up from 48.7 last season) and is looking more comfortable at the five than he did at the four.
He knows his role now, it’s defined, and he’s filling it.
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Sunday: James Harden, LeBron James want your MVP vote 9
- Report: Sixers agree to buyout with JaVale McGee; he can sign with contender 22
- Bulls’ Jimmy Butler leaves with elbow injury, does not return (VIDEO) 0
- Adam Silver says data may prove Gregg Popovich right in terms of resting multiple players 12
- Rockets general manager Daryl Morey proposes loosening NBA trade rules 6
- Derrick Rose starts rehab, in “good spirits” after knee surgery 11
- Russell Westbrook undergoes procedure to address cheek fracture, will be re-evaluated next week 6
- Russell Westbrook takes knee to face, it leaves dent (VIDEO) 15