Nov 22, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
The Knicks are off to an impressive 8-2 start, their offense is clicking at the highest level in the league (111.7 points per 100 possessions), yet there is a big question looming over New York’s season — can Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire play well together?
Stoudemire has been out all season following knee surgery, but he is coming back next month. The Knicks offense is on fire with ‘Melo playing the four but when Stoudemire comes back and moves him to the three spot, will it work? The number certainly say it hasn’t yet — the Knicks were considerably worse on offense last season when Anthony, Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler were on the court together.
Coach Mike Woodson isn’t worried — he notes that combo was 8-2 under him last season.
“I honestly I think it can work because they’re so talented. It’s their approach to the game and they’re both really ready to buy in and do whatever it takes to throw all that other stuff out the window. You guys got to give them time.”
Call me Missouri, but the Knicks are going to have to show me this can work over time. Not saying it can’t, saying it really hasn’t over a stretch of time. The numbers were ugly. And I’m one of those crazy people who thinks past performance can be indicative of future results.
But this has seemed a different ‘Melo this year, a guy who left is Olympic experience with Kobe and LeBron with a seeming different team attitude. Maybe Stoudemire would agree to coming off the bench. Maybe a lot of things.
The Knicks are just going to have to show me, and all of us.
- Celtics deny Nets permission to speak with head coach Doc Rivers 1
- PBT Extra: Talking Heat/Pacers, and why Indy might be optimistic 5
- If Phil Jackson could have any player to start a team it would be… Bill Russell 39
- LeBron, Durant, Kobe headline All NBA First Team 25
- It’s official: Krzyzewski back to coach Team USA through Rio Olympics 1
- Report: Dwight Howard will consider multiple teams in free agency, is said to be most intrigued by the Rockets (122)
- Kobe Bryant responds to Michael Jordan comparison from Phil Jackson (91)
- Alonzo Mourning says Scottie Pippen says LeBron would “kick Jordan’s ass” (77)
- Bradley Beal said he’d lose respect for a teammate who acted like Derrick Rose (67)
- Pacers advance to the Eastern Conference Finals with Game 6 win over Knicks (60)
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights
- PBT: Hibbert says Battier's knee to groin intentional
- OlyTalk: Lochte says Phelps will return soon
- CSN: Francona returns to Boston | Legacy?