Nov 22, 2012, 8:00 PM EDT
The Knicks are off to an impressive 8-2 start, their offense is clicking at the highest level in the league (111.7 points per 100 possessions), yet there is a big question looming over New York’s season — can Carmelo Anthony and Amare Stoudemire play well together?
Stoudemire has been out all season following knee surgery, but he is coming back next month. The Knicks offense is on fire with ‘Melo playing the four but when Stoudemire comes back and moves him to the three spot, will it work? The number certainly say it hasn’t yet — the Knicks were considerably worse on offense last season when Anthony, Stoudemire and Tyson Chandler were on the court together.
Coach Mike Woodson isn’t worried — he notes that combo was 8-2 under him last season.
“I honestly I think it can work because they’re so talented. It’s their approach to the game and they’re both really ready to buy in and do whatever it takes to throw all that other stuff out the window. You guys got to give them time.”
Call me Missouri, but the Knicks are going to have to show me this can work over time. Not saying it can’t, saying it really hasn’t over a stretch of time. The numbers were ugly. And I’m one of those crazy people who thinks past performance can be indicative of future results.
But this has seemed a different ‘Melo this year, a guy who left is Olympic experience with Kobe and LeBron with a seeming different team attitude. Maybe Stoudemire would agree to coming off the bench. Maybe a lot of things.
The Knicks are just going to have to show me, and all of us.
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 0
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 7
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 12
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 45
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10
- Who is still out there: Top 10 free agents still on the market 14
- Donald Trump says he’s becoming a Mavericks fan after Mark Cuban’s comments 48
- Report: Michael Jordan shot down Boston draft-day effort to get Charlotte No. 9 pick 31