Brandon Roy admits he has level III arthritis in knee. That’s not good.

Nov 22, 2012, 10:59 AM EST

Brandon Roy AP

Brandon Roy opened up and was honest with the Oregonian Thursday about why he came back and where his knees are at following his latest surgery on Monday.

It’s not good.

Roy admitted that he was bothered a lot by the idea he had left basketball too soon, that he could have done more. He felt he had to try again, he had to know. He had to try again. But his body may be telling him it’s time to stop after his seventh knee surgery Monday on knees that, at age 28, are a step away from needing to be replaced.

Not just one doctor, but multiple doctors have told Roy that he should stop playing basketball. His knees are getting worse by the day. By now, at 28, he has had so many surgeries, so many treatments and seen so many doctors, he sounds like a specialist. He explains that he has degenerative arthritis, which erodes and eventually eliminates cartilage, with the same precision and ease that came to define his run of three consecutive All-Star appearances. And with the calm that made him one of the game’s best finishers, he explains that his knees have reached Level III arthritis. There are only four stages.

“Level IV,” Roy says fearlessly, “is when you get a knee replacement.”

Roy admits that this season could be it for him. And he admits that when he tried to walk away a year abo after the lockout he couldn’t. At age 27, he wasn’t ready to — this wasn’t on his terms. And really, if you saw how competitive Roy was during his All-Star seasons, you can understand why he wouldn’t want to accept this fate.

“When I was 40, would I look back and say ‘You quit because you couldn’t be the best player anymore?’ I didn’t want to get older and regret that,” Roy said. “And the biggest thing I thought about was my kids. I’m going to want to hold them accountable one day, and I don’t want them to say, ‘Well, dad, you stopped playing just because of this… ‘ I want to say, no, I gave it an honest shot. And that’s the reason I felt I had to do this.”

But now, it will be on his terms. He has accepted his fate.

“I wouldn’t be disappointed either way,” Roy said. “If it ends in three weeks, it ends. It’s over. I’m totally satisfied with what I’ve done. I know the sacrifice and the effort that I put into coming back. It took a lot of discipline to get to where I am. That’s all I care about: how hard I’ve worked. So I can’t say I’m disappointed, that would be selfish. I was just a normal player my junior year in college, and everything since has been a major blessing.

“I’ve had an unbelievable run.”

Latest Posts
  1. Daryl Morey believes two bad shots are better than one good shot (always), but data wasn’t significant enough for Jeff Van Gundy to change

Feb 27, 2015, 7:59 PM EST

Houston Rockets Draft Picks Press Conference Getty Images

An interesting anecdote from Morey (speaking at the MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference) about how the data showed an advantage, but not one big enough for his coach to change.

2. Re-inventing the Wheel: Mike Zarren presents modified NBA-draft-lottery-reform proposals

Feb 27, 2015, 6:59 PM EST

the modified draft wheel

Instead of 30-year plan, assistant Celtics general manager unveils five-year and 10-year plans

3. Shane Battier: ‘I think a 60-game season would be perfect’

Feb 27, 2015, 5:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

There are financial obstacles in the way of dropping 22 games from the schedule, but Battier makes a somewhat compelling case.

4. Kyrie Irving has strained left shoulder, out Friday vs. Pacers

Feb 27, 2015, 4:56 PM EST

Cleveland Cavaliers v New York Knicks Getty Images

He’s day to day. (Insert your Keith Olberman joke here.)

5. NBA to release “Last Two Minutes” officiating reports through end of season, playoffs

Feb 27, 2015, 4:30 PM EST

Boston Celtics Vs. Brooklyn Nets At TD Garden Getty Images

It’s not going to change most fans’ minds, but it’s a good first step.

6. Report: Highest bid for Atlanta Hawks currently $800 million

Feb 27, 2015, 3:45 PM EST

Indiana Pacers v Atlanta Hawks - Game Six Getty Images

Don’t be surprised if another bidder comes in over the top.

7. Report: If Ray Allen return to NBA this season it will not be with Cleveland

Feb 27, 2015, 3:15 PM EST

Ray Allen Getty Images

Don’t expect him to return, but if he does Cleveland appears off the list.

8. The time Michael Jordan asked Common to forge his signature (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 2:45 PM EST

87th Annual Academy Awards - Red Carpet Getty Images

Turns out Common was a Bulls ball boy back in the early Jordan era in Chicago, so he and Michael Jordan had some laughs together.

9. Jeff Van Gundy to Daryl Morey when he flinched at using analytics to make a decision: ‘Either you believe in this sh-t or you don’t’

Feb 27, 2015, 2:14 PM EST

Game One Miami Heat v Indiana Pacers - Eastern Conference Finals Game One Getty Images

The data said that Dikembe Mutombo was better than Yao Ming, but Morey wasn’t ready to make that call.

10. Shane Battier says peer pressure is more valuable than coaching in the NBA

Feb 27, 2015, 1:30 PM EST

Shane Battier Shane Battier

A team’s best players hold each other accountable, according to the former NBA player.

11. Report: Phil Jackson to get fined for innocuous comment on Ohio State’s D’Angelo Russell

Feb 27, 2015, 12:48 PM EST

Celebrities Attend Vancouver Canucks Vs New York Rangers Game - February 19, 2015 Getty Images

Phil Jackson can’t just quietly sneak into a building and watch a prospect, so a reporter asked him a question. Jackson answered and will pay for that.

12. Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs.

Feb 27, 2015, 11:58 AM EST

Chicago Bulls v Houston Rockets Getty Images

This makes the Bulls a lot more dangerous come the playoffs.

13. Draymond Green drives for dunk, Timofey Mozgov isn’t going to stop him (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 11:28 AM EST

draymond green Getty Images

The Cavaliers’ rim protection has been infinitely better since the arrival of Timofey Mozgov, but he wasn’t stopping Draymond Green on this one.

14. Kyle Lowry on his game of late: “I’m trash.”

Feb 27, 2015, 10:44 AM EST

Raptors DeRozan and Lowry against Hawks Getty Images

DeMar DeRozan says he’s right next to Lowry on this.

15. Eric Bledsoe, Russell Westbrook put on a show (VIDEO)

Feb 27, 2015, 9:10 AM EST

Russell Westbrook, Eric Bledsoe, Alex Len AP

Westbrook had the numbers but Bledsoe was efficient.

16. Kyrie Irving to get MRI on shoulder, did not travel with Cavs to Indianapolis

Feb 27, 2015, 8:30 AM EST

Golden State Warriors v Cleveland Cavaliers Getty Images

He’s officially doubtful for Friday against the Pacers.

17. Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived

Feb 27, 2015, 2:55 AM EST

LeBron James AP

If you had any doubts about the Cavs, they answered them.

Is Derrick Rose the next Penny Hardaway?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches
  1. K. Durant (8536)
  2. D. Rose (7663)
  3. S. Curry (7528)
  4. D. Howard (7355)
  5. M. Carter-Williams (7307)
  1. P. George (6935)