Nov 21, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
Zach Randolph was fined $25K for his role in a locker room area confrontation with Kendrick Perkins, after the two were ejected for on-court jawing during the Grizzlies win over the Thunder last week.
Details of the incident were initially vague, but Randolph cleared them up a little bit in a radio interview on the Chris Vernon Show in Memphis on Tuesday.
The whole thing is worth a listen, but here’s the part specifically pertaining to the confrontation, transcribed by Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
Q: And then in the back, did you try to go in their locker room?
A: Nah, I didn’t go in their locker room. It was some doors; I had went on their side. Their locker room was like right there to the left. But I had went through some doors in the hallway. And I went through the doors. But it was a lesson learned. It won’t happen again. I ain’t gonna lose no $25,000 again. I’m done with all that bluffing on the court, because them guys do a lot of bluffing. I’m from the bluff city. We don’t do no bluffing, man. (Laughs).
Q: Do you think Perkins got the point? Do you think he probably thought ‘This guy’s a maniac?’
A: (Laughs). I don’t know. Perkins know me, so he know what’s up.
Q: Could you whoop his a–?
A: (Laughs). I’m good with these hands, man. I’m a jackin’ dude. I’m pretty good with these hands so…Hey, every day I came out the house I had to fight, you know. Me and my brother.
A lot of guys in the NBA have a “fake tough guy” reputation, with Kevin Garnett being the most notorious example that immediately comes to mind. But Randolph seems to mean it, and Perkins just might, too. Which will make the next time these teams meet (Jan. 31 on TNT) just a little bit more interesting.
- Thursday night NBA Winners/Losers: The injury gods show Thunder no mercy 1
- No Durant, Westbrook goes down, Thunder still make it interesting but fall to Clippers 0
- Thunder’s Russell Westbrook fractures hand, out indefinitely 4
- LeBron struggles in Cleveland debut as Knicks stun Cavaliers 36
- LeBron, Cavaliers introduced on opening night in Cleveland (VIDEO) 4
- Dominant Pau Gasol shows he may be a perfect fit for Bulls 19
- Old tweets: Kevin Durant uses gay slurs (including at Russell Westbrook), Damian Lillard rips LeBron James 29
- Wednesday night’s NBA winners, losers: Chris Bosh wants you to know he is a No. 1 option 25