Nov 21, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT
Zach Randolph was fined $25K for his role in a locker room area confrontation with Kendrick Perkins, after the two were ejected for on-court jawing during the Grizzlies win over the Thunder last week.
Details of the incident were initially vague, but Randolph cleared them up a little bit in a radio interview on the Chris Vernon Show in Memphis on Tuesday.
The whole thing is worth a listen, but here’s the part specifically pertaining to the confrontation, transcribed by Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
Q: And then in the back, did you try to go in their locker room?
A: Nah, I didn’t go in their locker room. It was some doors; I had went on their side. Their locker room was like right there to the left. But I had went through some doors in the hallway. And I went through the doors. But it was a lesson learned. It won’t happen again. I ain’t gonna lose no $25,000 again. I’m done with all that bluffing on the court, because them guys do a lot of bluffing. I’m from the bluff city. We don’t do no bluffing, man. (Laughs).
Q: Do you think Perkins got the point? Do you think he probably thought ‘This guy’s a maniac?’
A: (Laughs). I don’t know. Perkins know me, so he know what’s up.
Q: Could you whoop his a–?
A: (Laughs). I’m good with these hands, man. I’m a jackin’ dude. I’m pretty good with these hands so…Hey, every day I came out the house I had to fight, you know. Me and my brother.
A lot of guys in the NBA have a “fake tough guy” reputation, with Kevin Garnett being the most notorious example that immediately comes to mind. But Randolph seems to mean it, and Perkins just might, too. Which will make the next time these teams meet (Jan. 31 on TNT) just a little bit more interesting.
- Should NBA coaches get NFL style challenge flags? 11
- Report: Suns discussing trade possibilities for Eric Bledsoe 17
- Report: Sixers may look to trade for Amar’e Stoudemire at this season’s deadline 29
- Kevin Durant reiterates that rest was his reason for withdrawing from Team USA 9
- Kobe Bryant says he will not be same player as before, says he’s evolved into something equally good 24
- Report: Agent for Greg Monroe pursued sign-and-trade deals with five teams, including Thunder and Blazers 25
- Derrick Rose sits out another Team USA practice, not likely to start Wednesday 23
- DeMarcus Cousins practices with team USA Tuesday, says he’s 50-50 for Wednesday game 2