Nov 21, 2012, 3:21 PM EST
Zach Randolph was fined $25K for his role in a locker room area confrontation with Kendrick Perkins, after the two were ejected for on-court jawing during the Grizzlies win over the Thunder last week.
Details of the incident were initially vague, but Randolph cleared them up a little bit in a radio interview on the Chris Vernon Show in Memphis on Tuesday.
The whole thing is worth a listen, but here’s the part specifically pertaining to the confrontation, transcribed by Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:
Q: And then in the back, did you try to go in their locker room?
A: Nah, I didn’t go in their locker room. It was some doors; I had went on their side. Their locker room was like right there to the left. But I had went through some doors in the hallway. And I went through the doors. But it was a lesson learned. It won’t happen again. I ain’t gonna lose no $25,000 again. I’m done with all that bluffing on the court, because them guys do a lot of bluffing. I’m from the bluff city. We don’t do no bluffing, man. (Laughs).
Q: Do you think Perkins got the point? Do you think he probably thought ‘This guy’s a maniac?’
A: (Laughs). I don’t know. Perkins know me, so he know what’s up.
Q: Could you whoop his a–?
A: (Laughs). I’m good with these hands, man. I’m a jackin’ dude. I’m pretty good with these hands so…Hey, every day I came out the house I had to fight, you know. Me and my brother.
A lot of guys in the NBA have a “fake tough guy” reputation, with Kevin Garnett being the most notorious example that immediately comes to mind. But Randolph seems to mean it, and Perkins just might, too. Which will make the next time these teams meet (Jan. 31 on TNT) just a little bit more interesting.
- Report: Celtics now more willing to trade Rajon Rondo 0
- Tyson Chandler says he feels sorry for Carmelo Anthony 14
- Kevin Durant on idea stars wouldn’t want to play with Kobe Bryant: ‘That’s bulls—‘ 28
- Former Warriors coach Mark Jackson meets with Kings GM, DeMarcus Cousins after Tuesday night’s game 19
- PBT’s Tuesday Night NBA Winners/Losers: Grizzlies grind ends Warriors streak 9
- It’s official: Jabari Parker out for the season with torn ACL 20
- Grizzlies snap Warriors’ 16-game winning streak 4
- Report: Chris Mullin doesn’t want to jump in mid-season to coach Kings 3