Zach Randolph explains confrontation with Kendrick Perkins

Nov 21, 2012, 3:21 PM EDT

Zach Randolph AP

Zach Randolph was fined $25K for his role in a locker room area confrontation with Kendrick Perkins, after the two were ejected for on-court jawing during the Grizzlies win over the Thunder last week.

Details of the incident were initially vague, but Randolph cleared them up a little bit in a radio interview on the Chris Vernon Show in Memphis on Tuesday.

The whole thing is worth a listen, but here’s the part specifically pertaining to the confrontation, transcribed by Darnell Mayberry of The Oklahoman:

Q: And then in the back, did you try to go in their locker room?
A: Nah, I didn’t go in their locker room. It was some doors; I had went on their side. Their locker room was like right there to the left. But I had went through some doors in the hallway. And I went through the doors. But it was a lesson learned. It won’t happen again. I ain’t gonna lose no $25,000 again. I’m done with all that bluffing on the court, because them guys do a lot of bluffing. I’m from the bluff city. We don’t do no bluffing, man. (Laughs).

Q: Do you think Perkins got the point? Do you think he probably thought ‘This guy’s a maniac?’
A: (Laughs). I don’t know. Perkins know me, so he know what’s up.

Q: Could you whoop his a–?
A: (Laughs). I’m good with these hands, man. I’m a jackin’ dude. I’m pretty good with these hands so…Hey, every day I came out the house I had to fight, you know. Me and my brother.

A lot of guys in the NBA have a “fake tough guy” reputation, with Kevin Garnett being the most notorious example that immediately comes to mind. But Randolph seems to mean it, and Perkins just might, too. Which will make the next time these teams meet (Jan. 31 on TNT) just a little bit more interesting.

1. sun602 - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:27 PM

“I’m good with these hands, man. I’m a jackin’ dude. I’m pretty good with these hands so…”

Lol.

• dannymac17 - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:48 PM

He loves to jack, man. Hes very good at it.

2. memphistigers311 - Nov 21, 2012 at 3:40 PM

That interview was hilarious. I was blowing snot bubbles listening to it live.

3. spthegr8 - Nov 21, 2012 at 4:06 PM

Like I said last time. I got my $ on Z-Bo. Perkin’s ain’t no f**kin tough guy, it’s an act and it’s OLD!!!! You could tell from the confrontation, that Z-Bo wasn’t playing around. This just made it offical that Perk was bluffin and Z-Bo wasn’t.!!!

4. kavika6 - Nov 22, 2012 at 9:01 AM

He talks like what my four year old nephew would talk like after drinking a sixpack of beer. Does even HE understand what he’s talking about?

5. rbrown4495 - Nov 23, 2012 at 9:47 AM

You have to rememebr that there could be consequences form the league and referees in future games if he says too much.

What players stood out at World Cup?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches