Nov 21, 2012, 2:36 PM EDT
We reported yesterday that understandably frustrated Wizards coach Randy Wittman was finally going to catch a break — Nene was going to return to the court. He was getting one of his two best players back…
Sorry, not happening.
The Brazilian big man battled plantar fasciitis in his left foot last season, and through the Olympics, and now into the season, and while he wants to play if you read the Washington Post report from shootaround it doesn’t look good.
“It’s a chance,” Nene said, scrunching his face as he stretched. “If you ask now, I’d say no.”
Nene said that his body was a little sore the morning after completing his first full practice of the season with the Wizards. He added that he might try to help the winless Wizards (0-9) against the Hawks if he felt better before the game and could play “maybe 10 minutes.”
That doesn’t sound like someone ready to go. And while the Wizards need all the help they can get, rushing him back to play a little now likely leads to him missing time down the road because things are not fully healed.
Sorry Randy. Looks like another long night of watching your jump shooters is in store.
- Ray Allen: “I won’t officially retire” 16
- Report: Adidas makes $200 million offer to James Harden 23
- Jahlil Okafor: “Rookie of the Year is one of the goals I set for myself” 16
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 9
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 4
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9