Nov 21, 2012, 2:36 PM EST
We reported yesterday that understandably frustrated Wizards coach Randy Wittman was finally going to catch a break — Nene was going to return to the court. He was getting one of his two best players back…
Sorry, not happening.
The Brazilian big man battled plantar fasciitis in his left foot last season, and through the Olympics, and now into the season, and while he wants to play if you read the Washington Post report from shootaround it doesn’t look good.
“It’s a chance,” Nene said, scrunching his face as he stretched. “If you ask now, I’d say no.”
Nene said that his body was a little sore the morning after completing his first full practice of the season with the Wizards. He added that he might try to help the winless Wizards (0-9) against the Hawks if he felt better before the game and could play “maybe 10 minutes.”
That doesn’t sound like someone ready to go. And while the Wizards need all the help they can get, rushing him back to play a little now likely leads to him missing time down the road because things are not fully healed.
Sorry Randy. Looks like another long night of watching your jump shooters is in store.
- Derrick Rose expected to return in 4-6 weeks. In time for playoffs. 19
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Thursday: The Cavaliers we expected have arrived 16
- Report: George Karl controls Kings’ personnel, wants Ty Lawson, willing to move DeMarcus Cousins 29
- Paul George returns to practice with Pacers, could play in couple weeks 8
- Report: LeBron James wonders why he doesn’t get more MVP consideration 41
- Would Rajon Rondo leave the Mavericks for the Lakers? 61
- Five Things We Learned in NBA Wednesday: The Spurs losing rodeo road trip a bad sign 14
- PBT Extra: What is future for Derrick Rose? Bulls? 13