Nov 21, 2012, 7:26 PM EDT
This is a bigger surprise than the things that will come out of your Uncle Phil’s mouth at the family Thanksgiving dinner once he’s had a few too many beers. But Timberwolves fans don’t care because this is great news:
Love broke his hand while doing knuckle pushups before the season started, has not played in a game yet, and the timeline was he was expected to return around Thanksgiving. However, aside the fact he took part in a team walkthrough this week there was no indication he was this close.
Love is an All-Star and Olympic gold medalist who gave Minnesota 24 points and 12.3 rebounds a game last season. He is strong on the offensive glass but has the touch to shoot 37 percent from three. Minnesota’s offense just instantly got better.
Minnesota went 5-4 without Love (and they still await the return of Ricky Rubio some time in December). That keeps them in the playoff hunt in the West, and with other teams experiencing injuries they have a real shot at making the cut.
- Report: Cavaliers last team standing in Kevin Love trade talks 26
- Pat Riley says he didn’t think LeBron was leaving, Heat can turn around quickly 34
- Coach K on Rose: “Derrick’s played great, not good, and hasn’t held anything back” 20
- Report: Anthony Bennett pulled from pro-am by agent, possibly due to his inclusion in Kevin Love trade talks 43
- Report: Sixers fighting against immediate changes to NBA Draft Lottery system 56
- Team USA going small ball, but how many bigs do they keep on the bench? 4
- Report: LeBron James more popular than he ever was with the Heat 17
- Durant says 2014 USA team better than 2010 version that won gold 7