Nov 21, 2012, 7:26 PM EST
This is a bigger surprise than the things that will come out of your Uncle Phil’s mouth at the family Thanksgiving dinner once he’s had a few too many beers. But Timberwolves fans don’t care because this is great news:
Love broke his hand while doing knuckle pushups before the season started, has not played in a game yet, and the timeline was he was expected to return around Thanksgiving. However, aside the fact he took part in a team walkthrough this week there was no indication he was this close.
Love is an All-Star and Olympic gold medalist who gave Minnesota 24 points and 12.3 rebounds a game last season. He is strong on the offensive glass but has the touch to shoot 37 percent from three. Minnesota’s offense just instantly got better.
Minnesota went 5-4 without Love (and they still await the return of Ricky Rubio some time in December). That keeps them in the playoff hunt in the West, and with other teams experiencing injuries they have a real shot at making the cut.
- Report: Kings not done trading, Jason Thompson next on block 0
- The Extra Pass: Raptors’ salary dump trade could mean a few more wins, too; plus Sunday recaps 1
- Kobe is back but loss to Raptors shows Lakers still have a lot of work to do 6
- Sunday night NBA Grades: Rudy Gay traded to Kings, Kobe returns for Lakers 3
- Expect to see facilitator Kobe in his return to Lakers 7
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (52)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- Michael Beasley finding a role, groove in Miami (44)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)