Nov 21, 2012, 12:46 PM EST
Wallace is a talker and the Nets forward was jawing at Kobe near the end of the Lakers win over the Nets Tuesday night. Twice in the final 17 seconds of the game Kobe was at the free throw line and the Nets needed a miss or two to make things easier. Wallace was talking — and he went after Kobe’s ego and competitiveness.
“I was trying to get him to close his eyes to shoot.”
Now remember, Michael Jordan is famous for hitting a free throw with his eyes closed, and we all know how much Bryant wants to be like Mike. So maybe there was a chance Bryant would play along.
Turns out he would’ve – for a steep price.
“I had to make a big bet,” Wallace said. “So I told him just shoot the free throws.”
Our own D.J. Foster thought Kobe mouthed “500” which could have meant $500,000. Classic Kobe. Just make it too rich for anyone else’s blood because outside Kevin Garnett and LeBron James, who has Kobe money to throw around?
But I come out of this loving Gerald Wallace even more. He is my hero now.
- Dallas moves into title contender status with addition of Rajon Rondo 39
- Kevin Durant turns ankle, leaves game not to return; X-rays negative. 4
- Report: Celtics ‘pretty pleased’ with return they got in trade for Rajon Rondo 31
- PBT Extra: Jabari Parker’s injury, what does it mean for Bucks, Rookie of Year race? 4
- Reports: Celtics agree to trade Rajon Rondo to Dallas Mavericks 37
- Andrew Bogut undergoes PRP therapy on knee, out indefinitely 9
- Report: Mavericks trading for Rajon Rondo could happen ‘sooner rather than later’ 10
- Carmelo Anthony introduces his latest signature shoe, the Jordan Melo M11 10