Now Dwyane Wade regrets trying to play through pain

Nov 20, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT

US-SPORTS-NBA-LA CLIPPERS-MIAMI HEAT Getty Images

Ah, hindsight.

Remember last Wednesday when Dwyane Wade decided he could play through his sore foot against the Clippers? Or, maybe you remember the final two games of the road trip when Wade sat out because he had aggravated his foot injury.

Like the rest of us, Wade is a lot smarter with hindsight. He said as much to Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentiniel.

“I didn’t do myself any justice playing in that (Clippers) game,” Wade said after Monday’s practice. “I could have used the extra rest, and maybe I could have been back by the Phoenix game on the road, or I really could be ready going into the game Wednesday (versus Milwaukee).”

Wade now is listed as day-to-day for the game against the Bucks. He said playing against the Clippers sounded like the right move before tipoff. It was a nationally televised game against one of the league’s hottest teams. The fact the Heat had struggled recently on the road against the Clippers also played a factor.

Wade and the Heat should know this — rest you injuries in November. And December. And January. And… you get the idea. The Heat are playing for June. They are going to win their division, end up with the top or at least very high seed in the playoffs. Go to think big picture, not revenge game against the Clippers in November.

But it’s easy to say that now, with hindsight.

“You’d like to say you’ve gotten smarter from it, but I’m 10 years in,” Wade said. “Sometimes I make the right decision, sometimes I haven’t. Everyone goes through something. You’ve just got to deal with it. Sometimes you can deal with it and play through it. Sometimes you’re hurting yourself even more. You’ve got to do what’s smart.”

1. aboogy123456 - Nov 20, 2012 at 10:16 AM

I’m sure the injury was a factor but Wade always has some sort of small injury and this just sounds like him making excuses for his poor play.

2. hoodheisman - Nov 20, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The biggest reason why it’s so difficult to repeat and nearly impossible to 3-peat is injuries like this. Make 3 consecutive finals appearances and you’ve now played 4 seasons in the span of 3. As a Laker fan, it’s super frustrating to see Kobe go through this so much. I’m sure Heat fans are experiencing the same feeling.

3. allen227 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:06 PM

He’s a snatch. Bottom line.

4. misterdreamer119 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Hes always injured.

5. cantonbound13 - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:42 PM

Such a diva, it’s pathetic! Go to the WNBA Dwhine Wade!

• edweird0 - Nov 20, 2012 at 8:46 PM

Considering how much I see you post about him, I’d say YOU need to stop whining not the other way around

• cantonbound13 - Nov 21, 2012 at 6:43 AM

Another sensitive Heat fan chimes in.

6. progress2011 - Nov 21, 2012 at 5:04 AM

This guy is falling from the elite ranks FAST !

He has 2 or 3 years of ” EFFECTIVE PLAY” left MAX !!!

The Heat would be doing themselves a favor to start looking to unload this guy, before he turns into a Pumpkin.

Then he can pursue his “runway modeling” career full time. Maybe he can help revitalize that show my wife watches “Americas Next Top Model” ……starring D Wade…..The “D” stands for DIVA !!!

Will LeBron get booed Christmas Day in Miami?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches