Nov 20, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Remember last Wednesday when Dwyane Wade decided he could play through his sore foot against the Clippers? Or, maybe you remember the final two games of the road trip when Wade sat out because he had aggravated his foot injury.
Like the rest of us, Wade is a lot smarter with hindsight. He said as much to Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentiniel.
“I didn’t do myself any justice playing in that (Clippers) game,” Wade said after Monday’s practice. “I could have used the extra rest, and maybe I could have been back by the Phoenix game on the road, or I really could be ready going into the game Wednesday (versus Milwaukee).”
Wade now is listed as day-to-day for the game against the Bucks. He said playing against the Clippers sounded like the right move before tipoff. It was a nationally televised game against one of the league’s hottest teams. The fact the Heat had struggled recently on the road against the Clippers also played a factor.
Wade and the Heat should know this — rest you injuries in November. And December. And January. And… you get the idea. The Heat are playing for June. They are going to win their division, end up with the top or at least very high seed in the playoffs. Go to think big picture, not revenge game against the Clippers in November.
But it’s easy to say that now, with hindsight.
“You’d like to say you’ve gotten smarter from it, but I’m 10 years in,” Wade said. “Sometimes I make the right decision, sometimes I haven’t. Everyone goes through something. You’ve just got to deal with it. Sometimes you can deal with it and play through it. Sometimes you’re hurting yourself even more. You’ve got to do what’s smart.”
- Kevin Love says Timberwolves owner should focus on his own team following trade to Cavaliers 8
- Iman Shumpert excited to play in triangle offense because he won’t just have to stand in the corner 3
- Timberwolves owner: Kevin Love might regret trade because he’ll be third banana with Cavaliers 46
- Anthony Davis and Kenneth Faried lead Team USA in final World Cup tune-up 19
- Thunder trade Hasheem Thabeet to 76ers 34
- From late-arriving to a LeBron James favorite, Kevin Love comes full circle 15
- Clippers trade Jared Dudley and first rounder to Bucks for Carlos Delfino and Miroslav Raduljica 23
- Report: Cavaliers trying to trade for Nuggets’ Timofey Mozgov 25