Nov 20, 2012, 10:06 AM EST
Remember last Wednesday when Dwyane Wade decided he could play through his sore foot against the Clippers? Or, maybe you remember the final two games of the road trip when Wade sat out because he had aggravated his foot injury.
Like the rest of us, Wade is a lot smarter with hindsight. He said as much to Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentiniel.
“I didn’t do myself any justice playing in that (Clippers) game,” Wade said after Monday’s practice. “I could have used the extra rest, and maybe I could have been back by the Phoenix game on the road, or I really could be ready going into the game Wednesday (versus Milwaukee).”
Wade now is listed as day-to-day for the game against the Bucks. He said playing against the Clippers sounded like the right move before tipoff. It was a nationally televised game against one of the league’s hottest teams. The fact the Heat had struggled recently on the road against the Clippers also played a factor.
Wade and the Heat should know this — rest you injuries in November. And December. And January. And… you get the idea. The Heat are playing for June. They are going to win their division, end up with the top or at least very high seed in the playoffs. Go to think big picture, not revenge game against the Clippers in November.
But it’s easy to say that now, with hindsight.
“You’d like to say you’ve gotten smarter from it, but I’m 10 years in,” Wade said. “Sometimes I make the right decision, sometimes I haven’t. Everyone goes through something. You’ve just got to deal with it. Sometimes you can deal with it and play through it. Sometimes you’re hurting yourself even more. You’ve got to do what’s smart.”
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 8
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 1
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 18
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 15
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 15
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)