Nov 20, 2012, 10:06 AM EDT
Remember last Wednesday when Dwyane Wade decided he could play through his sore foot against the Clippers? Or, maybe you remember the final two games of the road trip when Wade sat out because he had aggravated his foot injury.
Like the rest of us, Wade is a lot smarter with hindsight. He said as much to Ira Winderman of the Sun Sentiniel.
“I didn’t do myself any justice playing in that (Clippers) game,” Wade said after Monday’s practice. “I could have used the extra rest, and maybe I could have been back by the Phoenix game on the road, or I really could be ready going into the game Wednesday (versus Milwaukee).”
Wade now is listed as day-to-day for the game against the Bucks. He said playing against the Clippers sounded like the right move before tipoff. It was a nationally televised game against one of the league’s hottest teams. The fact the Heat had struggled recently on the road against the Clippers also played a factor.
Wade and the Heat should know this — rest you injuries in November. And December. And January. And… you get the idea. The Heat are playing for June. They are going to win their division, end up with the top or at least very high seed in the playoffs. Go to think big picture, not revenge game against the Clippers in November.
But it’s easy to say that now, with hindsight.
“You’d like to say you’ve gotten smarter from it, but I’m 10 years in,” Wade said. “Sometimes I make the right decision, sometimes I haven’t. Everyone goes through something. You’ve just got to deal with it. Sometimes you can deal with it and play through it. Sometimes you’re hurting yourself even more. You’ve got to do what’s smart.”
- Mark Cuban rips officials, NBA: ‘It’s criminal’ how Monta Ellis doesn’t get calls 20
- Shaquille O’Neal says he regrets leaving Magic for Lakers 38
- Cavaliers coach David Blatt: ‘LeBron James is our MVP’ 20
- No Durant, what does that mean for Thunder in these playoffs? Trouble. 15
- Kevin Durant to have third foot surgery; is done for season, playoffs 39
- Goran Dragic leading feisty Heat’s playoff push 29
- NBA Draft prospect matchups to watch in NCAA Tourament this weekend 2
- Report: LeBron James frustrated with Kevin Love for not fitting in 85