Coach Randy Wittman rips into winless Wizards

Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 AM EDT

Washington Wizards v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Randy Wittman is fed up.

He is the coach of the 0-9 Washington Wizards, a team with far and away the worst offense in the NBA — they are averaging 90.9 points per 100 possessions this season, that is 1.4 points worse than the historically bad, seven-win Charlotte Bobcats of last year.

Neither John Wall nor Nene are coming back soon and Wittman went off on his team in his post game press conference Monday night, following another loss (96-89 to a struggling Pacers team). From CSNWashington.com.

“I’m looking down the whole roster,” he said, “and if I had a cell phone I’d be calling the waiver wire trying to find another body. I mean, I’m just searching right now — searching for people to give me consistency….

“It’s just so inconsistent top to bottom,” he said. “I’d love to have an eight or nine-man rotation. That’s my dream. And I’m playing 12 and 13 [players] every night. You can’t do that in an NBA game. You have to develop a [starting] group and a group that comes in. I’m having a tough time doing that….

“We were turning down shots to take worse shots,” Wittman said. “I know somebody in here is going to ask me, ‘Why do they do that?’ I don’t know. I don’t know.”

What Wittman needs is somebody who can knock down an outside shot consistently. Well, he needs a lot of things — right now, this team has no identity on offense. Most of their shots come off the pick-and-roll but nobody fears the roll man on this team. Plus they just pack the paint.

The biggest issue is a lack of shooters — in the last two games they are 9-for-60 from 16 feet out to the arc and 9-for-33 from three. That is 19.4 percent from beyond 16 feet.

Washington traded to bring in veterans like Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza to give the team consistency, to set a professional tone, to prevent things like this stretch. Bradley Beal is a rookie, you expect him to be up and down. Yes, there are injuries, but John Wall isn’t the fix for outside shooting woes. The guys on the roster have to step up in the short term.

Latest Posts
  1. Enes Kanter soaks up Jazz fans’ boos, but Thunder lose

Mar 29, 2015, 9:30 AM EDT

Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz Oklahoma City Thunder v Utah Jazz

Kanter found a way to motivate the Jazz in the dog days of the season, and the Thunder lost in part because of it.

2. Kendrick Perkins says you’re blowing the LeBron James/Kevin Love thing way out of proportion

Mar 29, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Atlanta Hawks Getty Images

“You don’t have to be best friends to come out here and work together.”

3. Golden State picks up 60th win, clinches top seed in the West

Mar 29, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT

Steve Kerr, Stephen Curry AP

The Golden State Warriors are the team to beat out West.

4. NBA, Pacers issue statement in response to Indiana’s Religious Freedom Restoration Act law

Mar 28, 2015, 6:30 PM EDT

Adam Silver AP

Legislation was signed into law in Indiana last week, and has been criticized as one that could legalize discrimination.

5. Hawks to rest all five starters Saturday after clinching East’s top seed

Mar 28, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT

Atlanta Hawks Media Day Getty Images

Hornets, still fighting for a playoff spot, catch a break.

6. Stan Van Gundy: ‘Absolutely no chance’ Magic induct him into team Hall of Fame

Mar 28, 2015, 3:30 PM EDT

Stan Van Gundy Stan Van Gundy

Van Gundy coached five seasons in Orlando, but was fired after the way the Dwight Howard debacle played out.

7. Warriors coach Steve Kerr: ‘I would vote for Russell Westbrook’ for MVP

Mar 28, 2015, 2:00 PM EDT

Golden State Warriors v Denver Nuggets Getty Images

Kerr was joking, and making light of a mini-controversy that occurred recently with the Cavaliers.

8. Earl Clark signs 10-day contract with Nets, contributes to win over Cavaliers

Mar 28, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT

Cleveland Cavaliers v Brooklyn Nets Getty Images

Clark played key bench minutes the same day he was signed.

9. Stephen Curry scores 38 in Warriors’ blowout win over Grizzlies (VIDEO)

Mar 28, 2015, 9:45 AM EDT

Stephen Curry AP

Warriors keep rolling, while the Grizzlies are starting to feel like a first round loss.

Where does Steve Nash rank all-time?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches