Coach Randy Wittman rips into winless Wizards

Nov 20, 2012, 11:27 AM EST

Washington Wizards v Dallas Mavericks Getty Images

Randy Wittman is fed up.

He is the coach of the 0-9 Washington Wizards, a team with far and away the worst offense in the NBA — they are averaging 90.9 points per 100 possessions this season, that is 1.4 points worse than the historically bad, seven-win Charlotte Bobcats of last year.

Neither John Wall nor Nene are coming back soon and Wittman went off on his team in his post game press conference Monday night, following another loss (96-89 to a struggling Pacers team). From CSNWashington.com.

“I’m looking down the whole roster,” he said, “and if I had a cell phone I’d be calling the waiver wire trying to find another body. I mean, I’m just searching right now — searching for people to give me consistency….

“It’s just so inconsistent top to bottom,” he said. “I’d love to have an eight or nine-man rotation. That’s my dream. And I’m playing 12 and 13 [players] every night. You can’t do that in an NBA game. You have to develop a [starting] group and a group that comes in. I’m having a tough time doing that….

“We were turning down shots to take worse shots,” Wittman said. “I know somebody in here is going to ask me, ‘Why do they do that?’ I don’t know. I don’t know.”

What Wittman needs is somebody who can knock down an outside shot consistently. Well, he needs a lot of things — right now, this team has no identity on offense. Most of their shots come off the pick-and-roll but nobody fears the roll man on this team. Plus they just pack the paint.

The biggest issue is a lack of shooters — in the last two games they are 9-for-60 from 16 feet out to the arc and 9-for-33 from three. That is 19.4 percent from beyond 16 feet.

Washington traded to bring in veterans like Emeka Okafor and Trevor Ariza to give the team consistency, to set a professional tone, to prevent things like this stretch. Bradley Beal is a rookie, you expect him to be up and down. Yes, there are injuries, but John Wall isn’t the fix for outside shooting woes. The guys on the roster have to step up in the short term.

1. poet92581 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Grunfeld is scared of bringing in shooters after the Arenas incident. Poor guy.

• saint1997 - Nov 21, 2012 at 5:41 AM

hahahaha

2. pricejustin24 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:14 PM

I’d be blaming the Wiz management. Looking at their roster movement, trades. Etc in the last five years- it seems they lack the desire to put the best talent on the floor. For whatever reason they a trading for nene and letting Blatche walk. Put a fork in em.

• thesixersbench - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:51 PM

“For whatever reason they a trading for nene and letting Blatche walk.”

Not that I loved the Nene trade (financial reasons), but Andray Blatche? C’mon, man. He’s the biggest “me-me-me” player since Ricky freakin’ Davis.

Tons of talent, 10 cent head. Last thing the Wiz need. Enough boneheads already on that team. Getting rid of him was addition by subtraction.

3. athletesfoot101 - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:38 PM

Why Ernie Grunfeld was given an extension is beyond me.

4. mjbulls45 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:06 PM

i miss the gilby years

• borderline1988 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:15 PM

Unsung heroes of those teams were Caron Butler and Jamison.
      Those guys were professionals, and they held that team together. It’s remarkable how quickly things go bad in an NBA locker room when you don’t have mature players on the team.

• kinggw - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:43 PM

Both Butler and Jamison were around when the Wiz took a turn for the worse. People love to blame Gil, but Grunfeld is the guy who killed any success the Wizards had.

He never acquired a true post presence, he didn’t hire the right people to help develop raw players like Blatche and McGee, turned what could’ve been Ricky Rubio or other valuable trade chip into Randy Foye and Mike Miller and topped it off with a god awful hire in Flip Saunders.

If the Wizards are serious about turning things around they will show Grunfeld and Wittman the door and start anew.

5. jimsjam33 - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:14 PM

Get rid of the coach !

• magicfanintn - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:20 PM

He’s the one giving Jordan “I’ve never seen a shot I wouldn’t take” Crawford the minutes and sitting Martell Webster and Cartier Martin who have better 3pt shooting percentages.

• rtfinch - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:35 PM

To be fair, there are some shots he doesnt like…. he hates it when someone else shoots.

• jsprunner - Nov 20, 2012 at 2:54 PM

You really could be onto something here.

Randy Wittman’s career NBA coaching record: 118-247 including the 1st 9 games this season. His “best” year was his first in Cleveland when his team won at a blistering 0.390 percentage.

Basically, he’s had ZERO success as a head coach in the NBA (or anywhere else that I’m aware of), yet here he is somehow coaching his 3rd team. He must be hell in the interview stages…..

6. cpricy - Nov 20, 2012 at 1:40 PM

I’m not sure about the wizards at all… The coach and or managment. There are better players out there right now. Terrence Williams would of been a better pick up at guard than AJ Price. Kenyon Martin is better than Okafor, plus he would add mental toughness. The moves we made in the past are terrible. They traded away the 5th over all pick in the same draft that Rubio and Harden came out. For 2 players who weren’t on the team the following year. Vesley to too much of a project the 6th over all pick. Hindsite is 20/20 but those were not smart calls. I love Vesley hustle but I would of passed on him. How are the players suppose to have focus in the final mins of the game when the coach is confused. I would suggest he make his mind up and provide direction. Something needs to change because this team is terrible.

7. hollywood26 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:01 PM

I’ve been a Wizards fan for 40 plus years. I have had enough. It’s time to stop making excuses. Having sat through every minute of every game for over 30 plus years (including blowouts) I have finally reached my limit. I am now a free agent looking for a professional team to enjoy.

8. flyrocket31 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:28 PM

Sign me! im a pass first point guard who can shoot!

9. jdvalk - Nov 20, 2012 at 4:28 PM

Grunfeld had carte balance to rebuild and this is what he’s done.

Who will land Josh Smith?
Top 10 NBA Player Searches