Nov 20, 2012, 8:01 AM EST
Marcin Gortat is getting few touches and he’s not happy. He’s getting 2.4 fewer shots per game so far this season compared to last, his usage rate dropped from 20.8 (percent of the possessions when he was on the floor) last season to 15.1 this season.
Gortat vented his frustrations to a Polish publication, saying this year’s Suns don’t share the ball and are ignoring him, plus he threw some blame at Suns coach Alvin Gentry.
When Gentry learned about it, he shrugged. Basically. Here is what he said is it’s on Gortat to fit in, according to the Arizona Republic.
“Nothing’s going to change,” Gentry said in response to the comments. “We try to throw him the ball, and we’ll try to get him the ball as much as we can and … . We’d love to be able to throw him the ball and have him post up and score for us. That hasn’t been one of his strengths, really.”
Gortat has gotten 19 percent of his shot attempts this year out of post ups, and he’s shooting 47.1 percent on those plays. He’s not bad if you can get him the rock on the block.
But Gentry is correct in that what the Suns are doing hasn’t changed much. Last season 21.6 percent of the Suns shot came off a pick-and-roll, another 20.4 percent on spot ups, while just 7.5 percent were isolations. So far this season 18.6 percent of shots are pick-and-roll (a Gortat strength), 21.3 percent on spot ups and 8.5 percent in isolation.
They just aren’t as efficient at any of hit without Steve Nash. Gortat is going to have to adjust to life without him as well.
- Days before he faced LeBron, Paul George said Durant is NBA’s toughest cover 12
- A day later, Kobe didn’t think he played quite so bad 6
- Why question “When did basketball get so bad?” misses mark 30
- Adam Silver: NBA to consider doing away with divisions 16
- The Extra Pass: Five quick ways to improve the league; plus Monday’s Recaps 20
- LeBron says Wade is “getting that Kobe deal” in next contract. Should he? (65)
- Dwight Howard frustrated with Rockets’ effort in recent losses (54)
- Kobe Bryant dunks, looks good in Lakers practice; Friday return possible (47)
- The Extra Pass: Our awards at the quarter pole, plus Monday recaps (43)
- Durant tells “60 Minutes Sports” he’s still tired of being No. 2 (35)