Nov 20, 2012, 8:01 AM EST
Marcin Gortat is getting few touches and he’s not happy. He’s getting 2.4 fewer shots per game so far this season compared to last, his usage rate dropped from 20.8 (percent of the possessions when he was on the floor) last season to 15.1 this season.
Gortat vented his frustrations to a Polish publication, saying this year’s Suns don’t share the ball and are ignoring him, plus he threw some blame at Suns coach Alvin Gentry.
When Gentry learned about it, he shrugged. Basically. Here is what he said is it’s on Gortat to fit in, according to the Arizona Republic.
“Nothing’s going to change,” Gentry said in response to the comments. “We try to throw him the ball, and we’ll try to get him the ball as much as we can and … . We’d love to be able to throw him the ball and have him post up and score for us. That hasn’t been one of his strengths, really.”
Gortat has gotten 19 percent of his shot attempts this year out of post ups, and he’s shooting 47.1 percent on those plays. He’s not bad if you can get him the rock on the block.
But Gentry is correct in that what the Suns are doing hasn’t changed much. Last season 21.6 percent of the Suns shot came off a pick-and-roll, another 20.4 percent on spot ups, while just 7.5 percent were isolations. So far this season 18.6 percent of shots are pick-and-roll (a Gortat strength), 21.3 percent on spot ups and 8.5 percent in isolation.
They just aren’t as efficient at any of hit without Steve Nash. Gortat is going to have to adjust to life without him as well.
- Report: Hornets, Nets talking possible Lance Stephenson for Joe Johnson trade 5
- Hassan Whiteside posts 14-point, 13-rebound, 12-block triple-double in Heat win over Bulls (VIDEO) 25
- Brandon Jennings leaves game in wheelchair, may have torn Achilles 8
- LaMarcus Aldridge decides to delay surgery, will return for Blazers Saturday vs. Wizards 7
- WATCH: Kobe Bryant’s doctor explains diagnosis to him following exam of injured shoulder 10
- Report: Cavaliers players say they ‘had lost faith’ due to lack of depth and roster construction 46
- Kobe Bryant will be back next season, he can’t resist the challenge 20
- Klay Thompson sets NBA record with 37 point quarter (VIDEO) 36