Nov 19, 2012, 1:18 AM EDT
Seeing names like Kobe and Durant on the three stars of the night can get a bit routine, even when they are both putting up a triple double. But we have a first at the three stars — someone making it because of their defensive efforts. And it’s well deserved. Honorable mention to DeMarcus Cousins (29 points in a losing effort) and Carmelo Anthony (26 points and 9 boards), but they just miss the cut.
Kyrie Irving came into Sunday fifth in the NBA in points averaged per game at 24.4, ahead of Carmelo Anthony and Dwight Howard and others. Irving is the heart of the Cavaliers offense. Holiday was in his jersey all night long and shut him down about as much as one can — Irving had just nine points on 4-of-14 shooting, with four assists and five turnovers. That was why the Sixers got another win.
Second Star: Kobe Bryant (22 points, 11 rebounds, 11 assists)
The Lakers are starting to run some of what Mike D’Antoni wants, and that means a lot of pick-and-roll in the half court. With Steve Nash out with a broken leg, it has fallen to Kobe Bryant to be the guy running the offense — and for a couple games in a row he has put up monster numbers. In this case, a triple double in a comfortable win over the Rockets.
First Star: Kevin Durant (25 points, 13 rebounds and 10 assists)
This is Kevin Durant’s first triple double, which leads us to say “really?” Doesn’t it feel like he has four already? Nope, the Warriors were the “defense” in the way of his first. Durant has done more ball handling and playmaking this season, his game has been growing and building, so it makes sense this is the next step in the evolution. You get the feeling this is the first of a whole bunch.
- Mavericks signing Al-Farouq Aminu to two-year, minimum salary contract 2
- Report: Ballmer’s $2 billion Clippers offer nearly double what Bank of America valued team at 9
- Report: Jameer Nelson near $2.7 million deal to join Dallas Mavericks 11
- Report: Mavericks void Rashard Lewis’ contract after it’s discovered he needs knee surgery 9
- Report: Sixers, Nuggets or Celtics could become third team in Kevin Love trade to Cavaliers 45
- Five biggest surprises from Summer League 13
- Justin Bieber and Kevin Durant share brunch (photo) 22
- Clippers CEO: If Sterling remains owner then Doc Rivers, players, sponsors all ready to bolt 60