Nov 19, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Gary Neal, this is why there are rookies in the NBA. To do things like zip up your luggage so you don’t suffer an injury that keeps you out games.
Neal is expected back Monday night when the Spurs take on the Clippers, but he missed the team’s last two games for a reason that is going to lead to years of locker room mocking. From the San Antonio Express-News Spurs blog (hat tip to SLAM).
Neal had just enjoyed the best game of his NBA career, pouring in 27 points to spark a comeback victory over Portland, when fate intervened with a place in the annals of bizarre sports injuries — a gashed finger incurred while zipping up a piece of luggage prior to last week’s Lakers game at Staples Center.
“It’s bad luck, right?,” said Neal, who is averaging a career-high 10.1 points on 63.6 percent true shooting. “I was zipping up my bag, and I ripped it across the zipper and it just pulled the skin off. It was bad luck. Sometimes things happen.”
- Report: Derrick Rose undecided about attending Team USA minicamp 0
- Report: Pacers planning to purchase D-League’s Fort Wayne Mad Ants 2
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott told police after arrest all drugs in car were his 17
- NBA lands in Africa trying to put down roots, which is all about youth programs, infrastructure 1
- Report: Kings expected to hire Nancy Lieberman as assistant coach 9
- Report: Hawks’ Mike Scott arrested for felony drug possession 16
- Gilbert Arenas on LeBron James: “James isn’t a #1 option..and yes I (didn’t stutter)” 48
- Report: Veteran point guard Andre Miller reaches one-year deal with Timberwolves 10