Nov 19, 2012, 4:36 PM EDT
Gary Neal, this is why there are rookies in the NBA. To do things like zip up your luggage so you don’t suffer an injury that keeps you out games.
Neal is expected back Monday night when the Spurs take on the Clippers, but he missed the team’s last two games for a reason that is going to lead to years of locker room mocking. From the San Antonio Express-News Spurs blog (hat tip to SLAM).
Neal had just enjoyed the best game of his NBA career, pouring in 27 points to spark a comeback victory over Portland, when fate intervened with a place in the annals of bizarre sports injuries — a gashed finger incurred while zipping up a piece of luggage prior to last week’s Lakers game at Staples Center.
“It’s bad luck, right?,” said Neal, who is averaging a career-high 10.1 points on 63.6 percent true shooting. “I was zipping up my bag, and I ripped it across the zipper and it just pulled the skin off. It was bad luck. Sometimes things happen.”
- Tony Parker hits a back over-the-head halfcourt shot (VIDEO) 8
- Timberwolves ‘not necessarily in a rush’ to agree to contract extension with Ricky Rubio 15
- Andray Blatche signs deal to play in China next season 11
- Is Klay Thompson the best two-way shooting guard? Stephen Curry would ‘put him up against anybody.’ 18
- UPDATED Report: Timberwolves make push for Eric Bledsoe, Suns not interested in sign-and-trade talks 40
- LeBron James unveils latest signature shoe from Nike: The LEBRON 12 12
- ProBasketballTalk 2014-15 Preview: Toronto Raptors 10
- Dwyane Wade credits David Stern’s dress code for improving his style 18