Raymond Felton worked out this summer… for the first time

Nov 19, 2012, 10:16 AM EDT

Raymond Felton AP

I don’t think we’d use the words “Raymond Felton” and “chiseled” in the same sentence. But we can safely say that this year with the Knicks he is in considerably better shape than following the lockout last year in Portland. He admitted he wasn’t in shape for that season, and it showed on the court.

What was different this season, other than a full training camp?

He worked out. Seriously. The New York Post asked him if he did anything unorthodox this summer and here was his response (hat tip to SLAM).

No not really. Probably getting in the weight room, something I never did in my life (chuckle). I did a lot of running … training two times, three times a day … and then I had a great chef on board. I didn’t drink nothing but water for like three months.

Felton is 28, about the age a lot of guys in the NBA figure out they need to start taking care of their bodies if they want to stick around and get the big checks. Like you after a hard night of partying, that is about the age they realize you don’t bounce back the same as you did when you were in college. You pay a price for those chili cheeseburgers that sounded like a good idea at 2 am, they pay a price for not eating right, too.

Felton is working out, he’s gotten a personal chef, he is starting to take care of himself the way a lot of NBA professionals do. Which is good for the Knicks… and I’m sure has a lot of Trail Blazers fans mumbling curse words. Sorry.

1. moseskkim - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:31 AM

I disagree with the last part. If Felton were as good as he is now on Portland, blazers most likely wouldn’t have drafted lillard and so last year was bad but they got a great young PG in the end.

• abchome - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM

Then remember not to boo Jamal Crawford again. He helped Portland’s eventual drafting of Lillard like Raymond Felton did, and he also lit it up in response to the boos. ;p

2. whitdog23 - Nov 19, 2012 at 10:33 AM

they always see the light just before the end of the line

3. dysraw1 - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:35 AM

Ray is definitely looking good physically, but for my dollar i want to see him take charge a little more while running the team. i know a lot of point men go mostly by feel, including Ray. but i like to see him run set plays.i think he has a great feel for game,combine it with taking charge an finding his teammates just a little more could had to his longevity

• saint1997 - Nov 20, 2012 at 5:02 AM

Interesting. I actually like what he is doing so far with the roster in place. He is finding the shooters and cutters for easy buckets and feeding Melo like he needs to. I think with that the free flowing offence is helping the Knicks a lot, with more ball movement playing Kidd and Ray. Besides in my opinion he’ll get more run when Amar’e comes back and they run their productive little P&R. I think we could both agree he is better than Lin though haha

• dysraw1 - Nov 20, 2012 at 3:07 PM

oh no doubt

4. eflem80 - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Both Portland & NY fans should be happy. Felton has Knicks completely off the Lin wagon & Blazer fans have in a PG who so far looks like the ROY & the future of the franchise.

• saint1997 - Nov 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Couldn’t agree more. Raymond is better than Lin and Felton looks like Chauncey Billups meets Derrick Rose

• saint1997 - Nov 20, 2012 at 5:03 AM

Sorry I meant Lillard* looks like Big Shot and Rose

5. scalfor3 - Nov 19, 2012 at 1:36 PM

He’s in dramatically better shape but still looks kinda dumpy for a PG hahah

6. westcoastredbird - Nov 19, 2012 at 11:29 PM

On the Mason and Ireland show in LA he’s been known as Fat Ray for years. I guess he got tired of the moniker and dropped some lbs. It sure helped his game.

7. badintent - Nov 20, 2012 at 12:45 AM

coulda, wouda, shoulda, did. ! Beats playing with T-Mac in China.

Top 10 NBA Player Searches